Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 6 June 2003
A wonderfully endearing book by a very likeable man. I was hooked from the beginning and although it does get a little mawkish on occasion, Fry's honesty is therapeutic and his admissions fascinating.
Be warned however, that this is not a whimsical account of his comedy career. It is an emotional confession of the struggle Fry had in the first twenty years of his life. Although the man's intelligence and charm are evident throughout, he vents spleen aplenty and his language is rather colourful at times. His love of music, film and words are my loves and so I devoured his writing. His digressions (he calls then diversions) often lead to even greater digressions and this is wonderful. The style is not stilted or excessively crafted but heartfelt and accessible. Fry does not set out to portray himself as misunderstood but to tell things as they are. I found the book inspirational and somehow felt better about myself afterwards. It will make you think about your family and your honesty. Yes, you will laugh but do not read this expecting a saccharine happy childhood story.
Treat yourself and indulge in some pot-washing yourself.
22 Comments| 154 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 September 2010
I've just finished reading Stephen Fry's Moab is my Washpot. This is the very first autobiography I have read and what a wonderful experience it was. I've already received Stephen's second installment, The Fry Chronicles, which I'll be starting to read immediately. Although at times this book made for uncomfortable reading I found that I could easily identify with Stephen's inner turmoil and relationship struggles. The book was funny (laugh out loud funny at times)and the story of his early life flowed easily. The language used was a delight and I found Stephen's honesty refreshing. Our lives are a series of choices - some good, some bad. We all have things we regret and wish we could put right. At the end of the day all we can do is try our best to get through life and make the right choices most of the time. I congratulate Stephen on a great book, which has brought me great pleasure, and look forward to hearing about his adventures in The Fry Chronicles. Moab is certainly recommended.
on 1 September 2017
as not an avid reader have found this book a little hard going at the moment, but will persevere with it.
on 23 August 2017
INTERESTING READ
on 4 May 2017
Arrived as promised.
on 9 September 2017
Loved the first half of the book but quite slow in the second half.
on 17 August 2017
Stephen Fry is a absolutely brilliant writer
on 25 June 2017
Fantastic
on 14 February 2013
I will read anything by Stephen Fry and I didn't have this book in my collection, so it was a must. Actually not one of his best works.....
on 22 October 2014