Size: MX-4 4G|Change
Price:£3.95+ Free shipping (Addon item)

on 16 February 2013
Bought Arctic this Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound, for the
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler I bought from here also

to compliment an old intel socket 775 quad core (these things get hotter than h*ll if not fitted properly)
the quad core had recently been treated with arctic silver 5, again a great compound although AS5 can be corrosive and damage your board if spilled, The CPU is not overclocked and is running 35 degrees idle and under 45 degrees on full load, it has only reached 56 degrees during extensive torture testing and benchmarking with a 10% overclock applied (all cpu's of all ages should run no hotter than around 70 degrees on a maximum load - any higher replace your cooler and get this pronto),

Pro's & Cons

MX4 isn't as corrosive or as messy as AS5
MX4 is as good as AS5 although some might get a degree or 2 cooler with AS5 under full load as I did
MX4 doesn't take an age to cure, you see the improvements within a few hours instead of days/weeks

Application (Important for those first time users)

Never use a spatula or your finger to spread a thermal paste on the CPU. (This contaminates the paste)
Always put a small pea-size compound on it and let the pressure of the heat sink spread it. Also don't twist it.
That way there is less risk of trapping air and creating an uneven layer between the CPU and the heat sink.

If it is your first time applying a cooling compound you should watch a video for basic instructions

This tube should be enough for 4-6 applications, remember to thoroughly remove all traces of the old compound before application and if you have purchased a new heat sink to clean any manufacturer pre-applied paste of also, as it is usually low budget cheap cr*p they supply with them.
11 comment| 86 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2016
My AMD 8320 processing in my PC was consistently reporting CPU temperature's in the high 60's and 70's, despite everything being pretty much stock and not overclocked, so I suspect new thermal compound was need to bring the temps down. Despite working in the IT field I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to thermal compounds, so purchased this on the back of a number of excellent reviews. The price was good and delivery time quick (think it was about 3 days from ordering via standard delivery - I didn't go for Prime as I wasn't in a huge hurry and the Prime option from another supplier was a couple of pounds more for the same product.

It's dead simple to apply and use - there's plenty of you tube videos if you are unsure but basically clean the surface of the processor and the heatsink well first, apply a pea sized blob and you're done. Don't try to spread it with a credit card or similar, there's no need and that can introduce air bubbles which render it inefficient.

As I suspected the MX-4 has done the trick and the CPU temperature is now way lower than is was, sitting in the low 40's now even when under stress.

One word of warning, I had real issues separating the CPU from the heat sink as the manufacturer had used thermal adhesive to stick the two together. It was stuck so hard that when I tried to pull it apart it actually pulled the CPU from the motherboard instead, bending a number of pins in the process! It was still a nightmare to prise the two apart, even when off the motherboard, and then I saw had bent pins all over the shop much to my dismay. After a few minutes swearing and panicking I was able to realign them with the old credit card trick to straighten them, but it was a proper heart in mouth moment for a while there!
I have been using Arctic Cooling thermal compounds for over a decade on practically all my computer builds. It is only lately that I have also started using the Noctua NT-H1 for those very demanding CPUs and GPUs. However this comes at a price.

Now the MX-4 claims to be even better than the Noctua, (as seen in the photo) yet some would agree that this is not the case. Having said that the difference in thermal dissipation between the two is minimal.

I still use use Arctic Cooling on 99.9% of my builds. It spreads easily, is non corrosive, cures in no time and lasts for years. Don't get me wrong, I'm no professional yet I do many computers builds for friends and gained some experience in the process:

A few tips:

• A little paste can go a long way. If you apply too much than you create an insulator rather than a conductor.
• Apply pea shaped but NOT pea sized. As Linus says, it should be the size of a grain of rice. Haswell E CPUs require a bit more
• Always make sure that the surface of the CPU is clean prior application. IPA 99.9% alcohol applied with a lint free cloth works best
• Take great care not to get any compound on braided water cooling (all in one) pipes. It will be very difficult to remove
Bottom line: The MX-4 is amongst the best thermal compounds available, offering excellent price to performance ratio
review image
on 2 July 2011
Got a good 8c drop after replacing the old TIM with the MX-4. I've managed to push my Phenom II X4 955 up to 3.50GHz.
on 27 February 2016
The arctic cooling thermal paste range has a great reputation and for good reason. These pastes are great conductors, they spread well are non corrosive and last ages! I've had my current build for 2 years now and have never had to replace the thermal paste (its a common misconception that paste has to be re applied every time you take the cpu's heat sink off, theres just no need. DO however make sure that the surface is clean before applying the paste though as you don't want any pesky debris acting as bridge between the cpu and heat sink. Simple alcoholic wipes will work just fine.

Always refer to the heat sink or CPU manual on how to apply the paste but DON'T overdo it! I always put about a grain of rice size on and let the heat sink do the rest (they are on quite tight and will do the spreading for you).
on 23 December 2014
I bought this Thermal Compound to be used for my 4 year old laptop. The laptop itself was running at 50C on the CPU and 45C on the GPU at idle with the pre-installed Compound and pad and a freshly cleaned fan and intake, however the problem was when I was running games when the CPU would sky rocket to 90C even on most games and most of the time caused it to shut down even with good airflow to the fan and a cleaned fan the GPU would mostly hit highs of 70-80C.
I used this to replace the dried up compound on my CPU and replace the worn out pad on my GPU. On first boot I checked the temps and the laptop was idling at 44C on both using High Performance state. So no high improvement over the old worn out stuff here.
However when playing a game where my laptop had began to fail, after applying MX-4 the temps where hugely improved. CPU during a game was idling at 60-63C and GPU was going around 50-58C which was s huge improvement, this also meant that the fan was hardly audible whilst in a game whereas before it was fairly loud.
Overall MX-4 is a good choice of compound to use, is a cheap option and helps to provide a good contact between the chip and heat sink, it does its job well.
on 28 May 2016
Decent capacity,

This is my go-to thermal compound material. It's the perfect balance of price to performance; it keeps my CPU decently cool, whilst being cheaper than most of its competitors, Came out smooth and consistent. Core Temps down around 3-4 Degrees. Packaging comes with a Black Cap as shown in the picture, this forms a seal that ensure the left of thermal paste is kept in a usable condition. Plenty left after use should be enough for 4-5 further applications.
on 6 February 2016
I have used this now in two builds. on both occasions I have still been able to access the thermal paste in the syringe after extended periods of no use.

The performance of the paste is good. The formal of the paste makes a good connection between my CPU and the Heat plate of my water cooler.

This is a high quality thermal paste to use on your CPU for heat conduction.

I would recommend this to any PC user who needs to replace the thermal paste or is in the midst of creating a new system.
on 20 March 2016
This is the first time I've used thermal compound so I can't make comparisons but my own experience was profound. My little old CPU is always forced to work hard and I was used to hearing the cooling fan running fast and noisy a lot of the time..

I wiped off the little blob of old white stuff and spread an even layer of the new thick, sticky grey stuff over the entirety of both surfaces and stuck it all back together. - I haven't heard the fan speed up once since! I couldn't believe it; for a while I thought I must have broken the fan!!!
on 18 January 2016
First and foremost, I'd start off with the syringe type container this thermal paste is in. It's much easier to apply the correct amount of paste with a syringe than it is in a 'toothpaste tube' you get with most cheaper alternatives. At least one star for this.

Now onto the product itself, the thermal paste. While I've only used this for a week at time of writing, I've noticed a drop in my core CPU temperature after using a small pea sized amount of this thermal paste on my AMD FX-4100. While I understand my processor is not the best on the market it does tend to get hot under load without proper thermal management. However I've found this product to drop my temperature at least by 5 degrees centigrade as opposed to the cheaper alternative I used before.

Throughly impressed with this product and I foresee at least 10 applications with the one tube. Plenty enough to last for years. Definitely recommend!