Size: MX-4 4G|Change
Price:£3.95+ Free shipping

on 16 February 2013
Bought Arctic this Cooling MX-4 4g Thermal Compound, for the
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 CPU Cooler I bought from here also

to compliment an old intel socket 775 quad core (these things get hotter than h*ll if not fitted properly)
the quad core had recently been treated with arctic silver 5, again a great compound although AS5 can be corrosive and damage your board if spilled, The CPU is not overclocked and is running 35 degrees idle and under 45 degrees on full load, it has only reached 56 degrees during extensive torture testing and benchmarking with a 10% overclock applied (all cpu's of all ages should run no hotter than around 70 degrees on a maximum load - any higher replace your cooler and get this pronto),

Pro's & Cons

MX4 isn't as corrosive or as messy as AS5
MX4 is as good as AS5 although some might get a degree or 2 cooler with AS5 under full load as I did
MX4 doesn't take an age to cure, you see the improvements within a few hours instead of days/weeks

Application (Important for those first time users)

Never use a spatula or your finger to spread a thermal paste on the CPU. (This contaminates the paste)
Always put a small pea-size compound on it and let the pressure of the heat sink spread it. Also don't twist it.
That way there is less risk of trapping air and creating an uneven layer between the CPU and the heat sink.

If it is your first time applying a cooling compound you should watch a video for basic instructions

[...]

This tube should be enough for 4-6 applications, remember to thoroughly remove all traces of the old compound before application and if you have purchased a new heat sink to clean any manufacturer pre-applied paste of also, as it is usually low budget cheap cr*p they supply with them.
11 comment| 85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 July 2016
My AMD 8320 processing in my PC was consistently reporting CPU temperature's in the high 60's and 70's, despite everything being pretty much stock and not overclocked, so I suspect new thermal compound was need to bring the temps down. Despite working in the IT field I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to thermal compounds, so purchased this on the back of a number of excellent reviews. The price was good and delivery time quick (think it was about 3 days from ordering via standard delivery - I didn't go for Prime as I wasn't in a huge hurry and the Prime option from another supplier was a couple of pounds more for the same product.

It's dead simple to apply and use - there's plenty of you tube videos if you are unsure but basically clean the surface of the processor and the heatsink well first, apply a pea sized blob and you're done. Don't try to spread it with a credit card or similar, there's no need and that can introduce air bubbles which render it inefficient.

As I suspected the MX-4 has done the trick and the CPU temperature is now way lower than is was, sitting in the low 40's now even when under stress.

One word of warning, I had real issues separating the CPU from the heat sink as the manufacturer had used thermal adhesive to stick the two together. It was stuck so hard that when I tried to pull it apart it actually pulled the CPU from the motherboard instead, bending a number of pins in the process! It was still a nightmare to prise the two apart, even when off the motherboard, and then I saw had bent pins all over the shop much to my dismay. After a few minutes swearing and panicking I was able to realign them with the old credit card trick to straighten them, but it was a proper heart in mouth moment for a while there!
I have been using Arctic Cooling thermal compounds for over a decade on practically all my computer builds. It is only lately that I have also started using the Noctua NT-H1 for those very demanding CPUs and GPUs. However this comes at a price.

Now the MX-4 claims to be even better than the Noctua, (as seen in the photo) yet some would agree that this is not the case. Having said that the difference in thermal dissipation between the two is minimal.

I still use use Arctic Cooling on 99.9% of my builds. It spreads easily, is non corrosive, cures in no time and lasts for years. Don't get me wrong, I'm no professional yet I do many computers builds for friends and gained some experience in the process:

A few tips:

• A little paste can go a long way. If you apply too much than you create an insulator rather than a conductor.
• Apply pea shaped but NOT pea sized. As Linus says, it should be the size of a grain of rice. Haswell E CPUs require a bit more
• Always make sure that the surface of the CPU is clean prior application. IPA 99.9% alcohol applied with a lint free cloth works best
• Take great care not to get any compound on braided water cooling (all in one) pipes. It will be very difficult to remove
Bottom line: The MX-4 is amongst the best thermal compounds available, offering excellent price to performance ratio
review image
on 3 July 2015
I bought this for a recent re-build of an old AMD phenom II X4 955 based pc, the old AMD can get quite hot (125Watt Tdp!!) when stressed for long periods of time. Previously when Initially installed this processor into it's old motherboard I used MX-2 compound which did a pretty decent job and the old Phenom would idle on air cooling at around 40c and peak around 60c when stressed, now it idle's around 28-34c and peaks around 48-52c all with the same 4yr old air cooler.
For an older hotter cpu this stuff really works :) now I can have the old girl play a few hours of Shadow of Mordor at high settings and not worry about a sudden overheat :) I thoroughly recommend this thermal compound and if can cool an old cpu like mine so well I'm sure those of you with siny new AMD FX or Intel Core i7 cpu's will see even lower temps.
on 4 January 2012
Bought this to replace the standard thermal paste of my Dell laptop, running Sandy Bridge i7 quad core and nVidia GT 540M. Before and after average temperatures for CPU and GPU combined under reasonably controlled conditions are 56C vs. 43C at idle, and 94C vs. 83C at maximum load (running prime95 on 7 threads and FurMark on 1 thread and GPU). Idle and low use temperatures (like browsing the web) means that the fan is off, and combined with my SSD, my laptop now runs entirely silent.

That's a reduction of 11C. What more need I say?

The tube contains a fair amount of paste, enough for at least 4 or 5 applications I guess. I've done a paste replacement twice now, once to replace the standard Dell rubbish, and once again after a month to make sure I did it right the first time (I applied a little too much the first time). Temperatures before and after my second paste job varied only marginally, and could be contributed to ambient temperatures (since I did it over a month later).
on 30 January 2016
Because of the mx4 my i5 4690k is running at 75 degrees of 4.6ghz, Ive tried many thermal compounds and the only one that comes close to this is noctuas. easy to apply, lasted me around 15-20 applications, I remove my cpu quite often, very good quality, dont hesitate to buy this, do not read negative reviewers, they obviously either didnt apply it correctly or dont know how to apply it. nice simple eco packaging, happy to give this 5 stars, next time im buying the 20g Thanks again to arctic cooling, best product ever
on 2 July 2011
Got a good 8c drop after replacing the old TIM with the MX-4. I've managed to push my Phenom II X4 955 up to 3.50GHz.
on 23 December 2014
I bought this Thermal Compound to be used for my 4 year old laptop. The laptop itself was running at 50C on the CPU and 45C on the GPU at idle with the pre-installed Compound and pad and a freshly cleaned fan and intake, however the problem was when I was running games when the CPU would sky rocket to 90C even on most games and most of the time caused it to shut down even with good airflow to the fan and a cleaned fan the GPU would mostly hit highs of 70-80C.
I used this to replace the dried up compound on my CPU and replace the worn out pad on my GPU. On first boot I checked the temps and the laptop was idling at 44C on both using High Performance state. So no high improvement over the old worn out stuff here.
However when playing a game where my laptop had began to fail, after applying MX-4 the temps where hugely improved. CPU during a game was idling at 60-63C and GPU was going around 50-58C which was s huge improvement, this also meant that the fan was hardly audible whilst in a game whereas before it was fairly loud.
Overall MX-4 is a good choice of compound to use, is a cheap option and helps to provide a good contact between the chip and heat sink, it does its job well.
on 23 May 2015
I build a lot of PCs and I always go with Arctic cooling. It's less necessary if you're doing a new build - as lots of cooling equipment comes pre-covered. It is however brilliant if you're tearing down an older graphics card, or rebuilding a CPU cooler. Other products flake after a few years and can be unreliable long term. I've been using Arctic products for a long time and I'm surprised how good it looks when I go back in to refresh the seal!
on 7 September 2014
The best of the best.

Always used this stuff, never will stop using it. Great for temps in all 3 scenarios, poor contact, moderate contact, good contact; it's been tested. Plus it's not electrically conductive and the consistency is excellent.

Why anyone would get that silver s*** for a steeper price is probably nothing more than bias. This is an inexpensive but high quality paste that is up to the task for very high performance computers, without putting any parts at risk and as mentioned before, it scores highly in all contact scenarios. A great all rounder. You'd have to be pretty stupid to mess up fitting a heatsink to go wrong with this stuff.