on 23 February 2011
I am not sure that this camera is the same as the Panasonic. If I am not mistaken there are differences other than the cosmetic and visual, The "computer" is not the same I am told. Anyway it is an absolutely superb camera and a perfect joy to use. It is expensive and I took a very big breath before buying, but now I am so glad I did. If you do decide to purchase then I would be very very surprised if you were disappointed
44 Comments| 50 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 September 2011
Firstly let's get this straight. THIS IS NOT A LUMIX.
The lens is the same and the sensor is the same. The body is very similar although different. The software is streets ahead, and the firmware is different. Most importan tly the FEEL is different (you are a creative photographer right?, That is why you are reading a review for a Leica). If you want to take a few pics of the kids on the beech , and maybe a christmas party. Then the Lumix is for you. It is an excellent camera with great results, and half the price.

But you are reading a review about a Leica. I therefore assume that "Getting it right" is important to you. That extra "Feel" is what you look for. Well,the results are nothing short of stunning. Very sharp, excellent colours. The techy specs are available elsewhere. But Iwill just say that this is a 10 meg camera, 'though you would think it were double. at A4 print and up close on a 40" HDTV. the results are indistinguishable from my EOS 5D MkII (£1500) and EF70-200 f2.8 ISUSM (£2500) lens. Put like that it it very cheap indeed, THIS ROCKS. and it fits in you pocket so it is always there.

You want cheaper then the lumix will deliver 95% of the results, which will be more that enough for most people. You want the best ... That is why you pay for a Leica. If you want the extra 5% , then the extra cost is worth every penny.
1616 Comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 August 2013
My camera is back in Germany AGAIN. The roller selector has broken AGAIN. When it last return from Germany I discovered the flash no longer popped up too but since a) I hardly ever use the flash and b) I was about to go away again and I didn't want to be without it for another FOUR weeks I thought I'd keep it on me instead. Big mistake. Now the roller selector broke AGAIN and it's gone back to Germany they say I've dropped it and it's not under warranty. Over 200 euro repair.

This camera has had four faults in 18 months. Flash doesn't pop up. Selector wheel broken (twice). When shooting in manual the menu screen pops up on the display and just rotates and rotates. (You have to turn the camera off and on again). And the zoom breaks and goes fuzzy. Again, turn the camera on and off again...

From a cheap brand I might expect this, but I bought a Leica because I wanted better.

Totally disillusioned with my Leica experience...
on 5 November 2012
I had looked forward to my first Leica but really wish now I had just played it safe and bought the Panasonic or Sony equivalent. The clarity of pictures and pictures in low light is very good. However, what nobody tells you is in that order to play back videos major faffing ( which I admit I have yet to conquor ) is required. In the end I asked Leica for help ( the guidance with the camera is not very good). To their credit Leica were really helpful and gave me the steps I should follow- here it is:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you very much for your message. It is no problem to copy video files directly to your PC.

Just open your SD card using the Windows Explorer.

There are two ways the D-Lux5 save Video files.

In the menu you can choose between Motion-JPEG and AVCHD.

The motion-JPEG files are saved in the regular DCIM folder where the photos are located as *.MOV files.

When you record videos in HD and AVCHD mode, what I recommend you, the files are a little hidden.

Directly on the card you'll find following folders:

Beschreibung: cid:image001.png@01CCDAA1.930749E0

Please open the private folder and also the containing AVCHD folder.

Then you'll find this folders

Beschreibung: cid:image002.png@01CCDAA1.930749E0

Please click on BDMV and then on the containing STREAM folder.

Inside the STREAM folder you'll find the Video-Clips with the file extension *.MTS.
You can watch them with Windows Media Player (only WINDOWS 7) or freeware mediaplayers like the VLC player or GOM player.
Here the complete structure

/PRIVATE/AVCHD/BDMV/STREAM/

I know this is a very long-winded way. There are several reasons.
If you want to edit video files you have to use a editing Program like iMovie (Mac only) or Adobe Premiere (Elements). There you can import the videos directly.

I Hope this was helpful for you. Good Luck!

If there are any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am sorry, I have had at least 15 cameras all of which i just popped the memory card into the card reader or a wire into the camera and the files just transferred to the directory I stated and were ready for viewing. I wish I had never bought this camera.
on 30 January 2011
This camera is the best thing since sliced bread if you want a great quality camera without the bulk of DSLR, I would give it 5 stars but because Leica completely rip you off on the price I have to knock a star off. The Panasonic LX5 is exactly the same camera made in the same factory by the same people, but it lacks the red dot and is so half the price of the Leica haha

Leica has branding power and they like to laugh at their consumers for this.
44 Comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 July 2012
This camera is truly stunning, the balance of size and performance it ideal for me. Bought as a retirement present to myself after using a Nikon D300 as my professional camera it was chosen to give both impeccable performance and a pride in ownership. The former was provided by the marriage of Panasonic electronics to Leica glass the latter by the name on the little red badge. Silly, imprudent yes, but I just love the hedonistic decadence it represents, and that is always an expensive accessory.

See one answered question