VINE VOICEon 29 December 2012
I read the first 2 books in this series a few years ago but lost track of when the third and forth were coming out so I am just getting round to catching up to them so I thought I should probably re read them to catch up. I am so glad I did.

I forgot how easy it is to dream yourself away into a world of Castors, curses, deadly poems that rhyme and the love between Ethan and Lana. And the first thing I am reminded of is this when we delve into the aftermath of Lana's seventeenth birthday and Ethan is trying to be there for her. After learning everything she has about both her family, her fate and curse it's no surprise she isn't exactly up to talking about or acting herself. There has been a lot of critism of her character for her 'difference' at the start of this book but I feel it is easily explained by this. All be it a little dragged out and slow going at times but bear with it as it all makes sense in the end. (Just remember there was lots of riddles and piecing together in the first book too!). I will admit though, that this is the impression shown through Ethan's narrative since he is our only point for reference.

What comes to progress is another mixture of deciphering her new fate in a number of events which up the anti in the darke and Gothic stakes in the form of underground tunnels under the ancient town library into another world which holds some of the answers she seeks. An amazing cliffhanger which will see you reaching for book 3 and some more new characters as well as development of others (Riley) you will be lost in a world of magic and lore that will give you that feeling you get when you know you are onto a great book series.

I am off to buy book 3: Beautiful Chaos and to be honest I don't know why I waited so long to do so!

Cassandra220689
on 19 January 2013
Spoiler Alert!

I did enjoy the second part of this quartet of books about Lena and Ethan and how the worlds of the Casters and the Mortals interact with one another.

There was a bit more 'umph' to this story as the band of heroes journey to rescue Lena from the devilish plots of Abraham and Saraphine.

What I did not like is how the aforementioned villains are again whisked away at the end of the book to no doubt appear in volume three. They did it in volume one and I guess they will in part three. It smacks of the usual American approach to good characters - they are never allowed to die. Its the same on American TV. God forbid a major character (invariably young and good looking) bites the dust. Even if they do there is always a way back.

In fact I think I will stop reading right here at the end of book two. Reading reviews of book three do not inspire me, another 'moon song to drive me mad I see. Formulaic, yep to its Caster core.
|0Comment|Report abuse
I had been waiting on this book all year since I first finished Beautiful Creatures, having been sucked into the world of the Casters I couldn't wait. Beautiful Darkness is a worthy sequel and takes the readers on a deeper journey through the world of the Casters.

Beautiful Darkness is a bit slow to start about at about 150 pages into the book I couldnt put it down. I was gripped and turning the pages with excitement to find out what was going to happen next. In this installement I felt like is was really Ethans story. We don't really see alot of Lena (which for me is a good thing I don't really like her) Ethan has grown from the last book and matured alot throughout this installement. We also get introduced to new characters like Liv (Olivia) the "Marian Junior" according to Link. Aswell as new we see the return of some of our favourite characters from Beautiful Creatures like for me Ridley I just love her lol.

The Caster Chronicles really is refreshing, not a vampire or werewolf or angel in sight. There isn't enough books out there like these books. They are unique and exciting, full of twists and turns you don't see coming. So if you haven't read these yet get right on it you will not be disappointment.

Well done Kami and Margaret from producing another great read and I look forward to the next one
on 25 February 2013
I like my books to challenge me, drive me and thrill me ..... that i want to continue reading even beyoned the last page. This book did not do that for me. It was an easy read and an ok story but i felt a bit un-attached to it. I think the fact it is written by two authors means its not as fluid as it could be. Like there are too many cooks in the kitchen, so some brilliant ideas are lost or not continued due to compromise. I also did not like the repeated plot of Ethan going back into some else's memories. Plus Lena Duchannes fickle/ flighty behaviour made me lose faith in the the love affair. I did like the attempts to make Lena an embodiment of jekyll and hyde but i felt it didn't quite work. Personally I wanted Ethan to cut his losses and move on.

I will not be continuing with the Beautiful saga.
on 15 March 2013
This was a great book, but was not very happy. The hope kinda died for me halfway through, when as the title suggests, all was dark. It made me sad. The star crossed lovers were more cross and less starry, for longer than Id like. But, on the plus side, you get to really know a host of new characters, and I love how things with Ridley and Link are developing. Not to mention totally new characters coming in, who you are rooting for just as much as the main two. So, the world is going to hell, and lovers cant seem to stay together, will our Witch go full on dark?! Its great! Also, Ethan begins to seem more than originally meets the eye, what is he?
on 15 January 2013
I loved the first book and once finished I immediately moved onto the second. However, the second book has a different feel to it. I found it quite heartbreaking as the relationship between Ethan and Lena has changed so much. I found myself reading a lot just to try to get to a part where they were the same again, which is basically the entire book. However, this does indicate that the authors have created characters you really care about.

I enjoyed the character development in this book, particularly Link and the introduction of Liv. I also feel that the descriptions of Gaitlin are good, however, they do become a little repetitive - nothing ever changes, they're against newcomers blah blah blah.

The book is good as it poses a lot of questions that keep it interesting. However, I do feel that there are some potholes. SPOILER - if Lila is able to send Ethan messages from the other side, which is she so cryptic? Instead of song riddles couldn't she just say hey Ethan, your a wayward and your girlfriend can claim herself or whatever. I know that's a big point that drives the plot but I just think why couldn't she do that? What's stopping her?

I gave this book one less star than the other one as I didn't like how the book was paced, very slow in the beginning and a very rushed climax.

However, I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who liked the first.
|0Comment|Report abuse
Good book it's amazing that Ethan Wate & Lena Duchannes come together and despite their families and friends trying to stop them. a great book took me a while to get into but it gets better. It's great how Ethan and Lena are still together and prove that mortals and humans deserve a chance at happiness
on 13 March 2014
Beautiful Darkness is a young-adult fantasy novel written by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. The second novel in the Caster Chronicles, it was published by Little, Brown on October 12, 2010.[1][2] A sequel, Beautiful Chaos, was released on October 18, 2011. Beautiful Darkness debuted at #3 on the New York Times Bestsellers list for children's books
on 17 February 2013
When I read some reviews they said that the first part of the book was boring. I thought it set the scene beautifully. The twists and turns kept the story alive right to the end. Ethan and Lena made decisions that were totally in keeping with their character profiles. The new characters fitted in well and it was nice to see Link more involved.
A great book for a wide range of readers.
on 18 December 2013
This book was pretty disappointing compared to the first! The first book I read in a matter of days were as for this one I struggled to keep reading, the book didn't draw me In as I hoped it would. Although there are some parts that make you want to read on there are far too many boring parts. It's taken me since June (it's now 7days before Christmas) to read this book as I couldn't get lost in it, I've read several books in between. It frustrated me that I hadn't finished it and had to keep reading. Im quite dreading reading the third book but I have to because I've started, I just hope beautiful chaos is much more exciting that this book.