on 1 October 2011
I must admit that part one on this novel reminded me of some Koontz novels (not always a bad thing) and although the early part of the storyline was a little clichéd, it held my attention enough to get to part two and I'm glad it did, the remainder of this book was excellent and prompted me to immediately order the two sequels. Crouch is fast becoming one of my favourite authors.

My only real critism is more of the way Kindle displays many books as a percentage, rather than page numbers(will the new Kindle fix that?), the actual end of the story was at 78% with the remainder being book previews etc which I never actually read, prefering to rely on the buyer feedback.
on 10 August 2011
I discovered this author by accident, I am so glad I found him. Someone said, if you love S King, you will love this. I have to say This author under all of his pen names leaves S King eating his dust. Love the books, the plots, the descriptions, the terror of wondering if its safe to turn the next page late at night, wondering if you will sleep later???
Amazing, I'm working my way through every novel he has written and has yet to write.
Love the work
on 25 November 2011
I just couldn't put this down, and read it in a few days, which is a new record for me. Blake Crouch really knows how to write. Completely amazed by how he manages to keep the pace going and to really draw you into these horrific scenarios where it seems like there is no way out for the main character.

I've just purchased the following book in the series and am going to start reading it now.

Plus it's so ridiculously cheap!

AWESOME!
on 5 June 2011
I really really enjoyed this book. Leaves you guessing and wanting more everytime you pick it up. Felt that it ended a bit suddenly but love the gore and suspense. Cant wait to read the next book, Locked Doors!! Would highly recommend. Diane, Tamworth x
on 17 April 2012
I can't find nothing bad to say about this author and his novel , loved the story , loved how he keeps the suspense going all the way through , a really great read , one of the best books I've read on kindle , highly recommend , will be buying more books by this author , 5 stars from me
on 16 March 2015
I read this book on the back of a glowing reference by J A Konrath of whom I'm a huge fan. Thought I was in for a real treat but having finished the book (I read it in one sitting) I can only say how disappointed I am. There's no doubting that Blake Crouch is a very talented writer but this book is sadly lacking, it's very one dimensional, there are no characters who really grip you, no one person you can feel a connection to or even like a little. The book ends with lots of unfinished business and loose ends which obviously then lead into the next book, the reader should want to download the sequel immediately but I really can't be bothered. Instead of wanting to know what happens next it left me with a real feeling of apathy and ennui. Sorry Blake but I shall be sticking with your pal J A Konrath/Jack Kilborn instead. His books are something you can really sink your teeth into
on 16 July 2013
I was looking forward to reading this having read the reviews. However although very well written I found I couldn't believe the plot. It seemed too far fetched for me. There were no real reasoning behind the plot. Towards the end you find out about the background of the characters although this still did not allow me to believe in the storyline. I was a little disappointed. I will try another to get a better idea of the authors work.
on 17 January 2012
This is a sick book. Sick meaning 'good'; and sick meaning...sick. It is a real page turner. It is prurient, and i felt guilty wanting to finish it; but it is exciting, suspenseful, frightening and gripping. The author must be one sick dude if this novel came out of his head. I think you have to have a strong stomach (and a vivid imagination) in order to appreciate this book. The protagonist's descent into the deepest, darkest corners of his soul is frightening; but this can happen to any of us (which is why it is so scary). It is a rollercoaster of a ride and i could not put this book down. I liked the characterisations in the novel, and i enjoyed (and could easily visualise) the scenery and the emotions and the people that the author described. I think the book is very well-written, which ably prevents it descending into cheap thrills. An amazing read.
on 1 November 2013
Blake Crouch is becoming one of my favourite authors as he never disappoints.
I'm always careful not to give any idea of a plot away when reviewing books as I think spoilers
are just that - spoilers! All I will say is this book is original, the plot twists and turns and I couldn't turn
the pages quick enough. The characters are unbelievable and the setting for the book is atmospheric
and gripping. My husband is now reading it and equally enjoying it. A real must buy!
on 14 October 2013
Picked up on a few minor spelling and grammar oversights, but nothing detracting.
Wasn't keen on the main char, but not because he was badly written, I just didn't take to him, though I feel the role was well written and he did his job.
Engaging storyline that pulled me in and kept me interested, adequately gory (though perhaps not as much so as Mr. Kilborn's other works). The storyline was perhaps a little unbelievable, but I don't read fiction for realism, so that isn't an issue for me. I did enjoy the dialogue between characters.. I found it to flow realistically and well, no awkward woodenness or language that people just wouldn't use when talking to someone else. This pleased me, as a lot of time authors can be afflicted with 'thesaurus overkill' and speech can become ridiculously flowery and unreal. The ending leaves space for a sequel, and an extract from this is included. I would recommend this book (and any other by this author) and I will be purchasing the next in this series.