Customer reviews

Smart Lunar R2 Rear Light

on 25 February 2012
I already own the Lunar R1 - 1watt light, which sits on my seat post. The R1 is an extremely bright light and an excellent product (5 stars!)
I wanted another light, that I could attach to my hydration back pack, so was thinking of buying another Lunar R1 light - until I saw this double light. I had a concern, that the lights were 1/2 watt each and may not match the brightness of my Lunar R1 - Well, I am glad to say, that this light is as bright and to be honest, i think this light is superior to the Lunar R1.
I now ride with the Lunar R1 1 Watt on the seat post and the Lunar 2 x 1/2 watt on my back pack. There is no way a driver will fail to notice me in town or in the country. (I am a driver !)
I also own a magicshine MJ-816 1400 Lumen front light (another great product!), so I only like the bright lights !!!!
Various different light modes, which would please most people.
Would certainly recommend !
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 December 2013
I bought this light to go with a smart R1 that i have. It doesn't disappoint. Its very bright, about as bulky as the R1 but not quite as bright. Obvious really, 1/2 watt vs 1 watt! The different flashing modes may make me easier to see - not sure. Batteries seem good quality. My only disappointment is that the mount is fixed. I wont be able to swivel the light horizontal as well as vertical.
Once it's on my bike I doubt I'll care!
on 19 December 2013
Very bright indeed. Indeed close following fellow cyclists might lose their night vision if they look too long at this light. A number of lighting sequences are available but it lacks the useful combination of one flashing and one continuous light. Fittings secure and convenient. Perhaps not so solidly built as some other brands but no problems yet. Recommended.
on 10 April 2017
Super powerful little light, great that the seat post bracket lets you adjust the angle exactly to the right angle you want.
on 22 May 2017
Great idea to have a very bright erratic flash pattern but unfortunately its a performance is let down as Switches itself on and off at random when it is off. Gone into my garage nant times and found it flashing away to itself.
Dont buy.
on 14 October 2017
Nice and bright but no long press to turn off really annoys me as you have to click through all of the flashing modes to turn the thing off. Battery doesn't last very long either before brightness fades.
on 2 March 2017
Excellent light!! Am using it as a therapy tool, as the frequency (660 nm) stimulates acupoints- releasing muscles!!
on 14 February 2014
Bought as a gift for my father and he was really pleased with it. Easy to attach, several settings and quite robust.
on 9 February 2013
This is my initial review posted Feb 13**

Unsure why people are paying the hugely inflated price for this. Planet X are doing this for £9.99 with £2.49 delivery or free delivery over £20. Stop getting RIPPED OFF!! - Available on the Bay for under £15 delivered!

Just got this light delivered today and tested it inside and am still getting traces on my retinas. I have owned various Smart rear lights including a 1/2 Watt rear one. Never had a problem with the rear lights but not sure I can say the same about the Front lights.

Apparently they have a lifetime guarantee but you have to keep hold of your receipt.

Back to this light. It is incredibly bright - by far the brightest light I have ever owned and maybe even seen on the roads.
It has 5 modes.

1) Flashing
2) Constant top light so 1/2 Watt
3) Constant both - 1 Watt
4) Strobe with weird pulse at end of cycle - bit like a fruit machine!
5) Pulsing

I find Smart brackets very good and once tightened the light fits in with a positive click. Also comes with the option to mount on seat stays.

Light 5/5, Bracket 5/5 - Screw on Bracket 1/5.

I paid £9.99 for this light which is excellent. I would love to give the product 5 Stars but I can't because EVERY Smart light I have had - the screw for the bracket rusts! Come on Smart - provide a Stainless steel screw Please!!

* Edit - I picked up 10 M4 16mm STAINLESS STEEL bolts that use a very small Allen Key for £1.10 from the Bay. I shouldn't of had to do this. They fit the brackets perfectly and aren't stupidly long like the Smart supplied ones!!

************************************* New Review & comparisons 17 December 2013 ********************************

I am a long time Smart bike light fan and in my opinion their rear lights are the best you can get for the price and brightness. This review is based upon the new model of this which is USB chargeable!

*Please see the Pics.*

I own the kidney 3 LED light (47 Grams) Smart 3 LED Rear Light - Red, (2xAAA batt. inc.), the 0.5 Watt Superflash (Not pictured - but looks like the R1), 0.5 Watt Kidney (52 Grams) Smart 1/2 Watt Rear Light - Red/Black, (2xAAA batt. inc.) the 1 Watt R1 (54 grams)Smart Lunar R1 Rear Light 1 Watt - Red/Grey, (2xAAA batt.inc.), the 1 Watt - 2 x 1/2 Watt R2 (58 grams)Smart Lunar 2X1/2 Watt Rear - Red/Black, (2xAAA batt.inc.) and have just added this - the R2 USB (44 Grams) Smart Lunar R2 USB Rechargeable Rear Light 2 x 1/2 Watt to my collection simply for the convenience of it being USB rechargeable.

All the weights above include batteries so as you can see this R2 USB is quite a bit lighter. Both the mounts with the full included shims weigh 21 Grams.

******** I have never paid more than £10 for any of these lights and they can still be had for under a tenner if you search certain bike stores apart from this R2 USB which I bought from Laxzo Ltd on here on the 11th and which arrived today - the 16th. Laxzo have a big shop on Ebay too and offer good prices and quick delivery. They are doing this light on Ebay for £17.99.**********

I paid £14.48 delivered for this R2 USB which is at least half what you would pay for a USB rechargeable rear light of this brightness and ironically is cheaper than the current price of £14.52 for the standard R2 direct from Amazon as of 17/ 12/ 13!

All the Smart rear lights I have use a very simple bracket that can be attached to either the seat post or seat stays. I have NEVER had a light come out when riding as some others report. The only criticism I have of the brackets is that the bolts are NOT galvanized or stainless so WILL rust.

------- Also I have NEVER had any problems with water ingress on ANY of the Rear Smart Lights I own and I have been out in some real downpours. They all have a rubber "seal" that fits round the outer perimeter of the lights. I suspect that people who have whined about water getting in have simply been a bit ham fisted when refitting this after changing batteries..-------

This USB R2 looks identical to the standard R2 but behind the on / off switch on the bottom of the light is a USB port that is covered by a plastic plug when in use.

It comes with a 50 cm or so mini USB plug which I just plugged into a mains adaptor. The light then flashes blue when charging and then stays on blue when charged. Apparently this takes about 4 hours.

I will be testing this light out over the next few weeks so will update then but initial thoughts are that it is just as bright as the standard R2 but it does have different modes.

I seem to have disco flashing (Dance), bottom light on half brightness for group riding (10%), Top half on constant & full & then both on constant full (Solid).

I do not have the pulsing mode that I have on my R2 and which is called (Breathe) which is no biggie for me as I will probably just use this on constant.

Also unlike the R2 you have to hold the on button on instead of just switching it - I thought mine was broken at first - it isn't!

You get a 2 year warranty on electrical components & a one year on the battery on this R2 USB model.

$$$$$$$$$ I have taken to running a rear light night & day simply as an insurance policy against SMIDSY - Sorry Mate I Didn't See You - and will be encouraging my kids to do the same. A lot of motorcyclists run lights all the time and cyclists are probably the most vulnerable road users so why not? Better to be safe than sorry. $$$$$$$$$$

Cheers
review image review image review image review image review image
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 February 2012
I have a couple of rear lights, my idea is that you cannot have too many on today's roads. This is without doubt the brightest rear light i have seen. Have a mars3 one and i thought that was bright. If u want a small but very bright light then you can't go wrong with this. Two different size brackets come with it...