on 25 February 2012
I already own the Lunar R1 - 1watt light, which sits on my seat post. The R1 is an extremely bright light and an excellent product (5 stars!)
I wanted another light, that I could attach to my hydration back pack, so was thinking of buying another Lunar R1 light - until I saw this double light. I had a concern, that the lights were 1/2 watt each and may not match the brightness of my Lunar R1 - Well, I am glad to say, that this light is as bright and to be honest, i think this light is superior to the Lunar R1.
I now ride with the Lunar R1 1 Watt on the seat post and the Lunar 2 x 1/2 watt on my back pack. There is no way a driver will fail to notice me in town or in the country. (I am a driver !)
I also own a magicshine MJ-816 1400 Lumen front light (another great product!), so I only like the bright lights !!!!
Various different light modes, which would please most people.
Would certainly recommend !
22 Comments| 33 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 17 June 2016
The Smart Lunar R2 Tail Light appears to come in two versions, one with 5 modes (LAM321R) and one with 3 modes (RL321R TWO EYEs.) I received the 3-mode model, and although I ordered the 5-mode model I am happy with the 3-mode: double light, single light and Dancing. It really is super bright. It throws out a strong red main beam, which if angled too upwards is dazzling, and produces a good brightness at the sides of the light. The Dancing mode is excellent and is the one I tend to use.
I wanted this as a second light. My existing tail light is also a Smart, which has lasted many years in a fair share of rainy cycle journeys, so I feel confident with the quality of this brand.
The Lunar R2 has two brackets for fixing by screwdriver to either the seat post or the seat stay. Having the seat stay fitting option was necessary for me. I don’t understand why manufacturers of more costly lights with only a seat post or under saddle fitting want to make them useless by ignoring the needs of cyclists like myself who load things on top of their rear carrier.
The light slides securely with a click into, and releases easily from, the bracket.
The light uses 2 AAA batteries. It is not a USB rechargeable light as one of the pictures suggests (the one with the light and a USB lead) which is rather confusing. Opening the Smart Lunar R2 to replace the batteries is a little tricky, but that indicates its solid and sealed build.
I would say you would have to go a long way to find a more practical, bright and value-for-money light.
on 3 November 2015
Fantastic light and overall it's well built. It does however have a flaw which I hope will be corrected in time. The rear housing has fairly weak side clips and if not removed very carefully you'll end up cracking one or both like I have. (see my photo).

I'd also recommend not clipping the light to your saddle bag as mine came off after going over a cattle grid on my last sportive. I tape the new one to my saddle bag now. The provided seatpost clips work well if you're not using a saddle bag.

Pros:
- Very very bright!
- Several light modes
- Rugged design

Cons
- Weak rear housing side clips
review image
on 9 November 2013
This is the perfect rear lamp for me. The designers really excelled themselves here. I've only had it a week, so maybe too early to comment too much, but I rode in a biblical storm on Wednesday, through a muddy forest, and it seemed to stay waterproof. I was initially worried it would turn on by mistake in my rucksack, (I leave my bike at the station, and detach everything easily steal able), but it seems to have been fine.

The design is great, and the mounting it comes with (inc all the fixings you need), is angle-able. I fix it to the seat post, but you could equally easily fix it to any other part of the bike, and angle it securely rear wards. Also, when detached, it had an integrated clip, so you could clip it to your rucksack, or anything else you were carrying with, and use it that way without having to remember to bring anything.

It runs on 2 AA batteries, (a pleasant surprise was that it came with these. The battery case is watertight, so took a bit of effort to get the batteries in, but actually that is a good thing, because on my old back light there was always a risk that the batteries would come out as you go over roots or rocks at speed in the woods. This one gives you real confidence, and I must say I am really pleased.

Turning to brightness and visibility. If anything, this is a little too bright, and I worry about annoying other cyclists behind me. I use it on the "chase" setting, so it flashes intermittently, and so is not so bad for others, but really it would be nice to be able to dial down the brightness slightly.

From a safety perspective, I this is 24 carat, 100% brilliant. I find that cars give me a noticeably wider berth when passing. My daily ride takes me a short distance on a busy road, and I always worry because most cars are OK, but the odd one or two go very close, not realising how scary that is for a cyclist. With this light, (touch wood) I've not had anyone go too close yet.

Overall I am super-pleased. If you are looking for a great rear lamp, then look no further - this is great. It is small, light, cheap, robust, safe, appears waterproof, and the manufacturers say that on the chase setting you get 120 hours of use on 2 AAs - I'll believe that when I see it!!
on 31 December 2017
Great quality. Excellent brightness. Good choice of flashing modes. Bought in sale for £15 (bargain!) I’ve ordered two now because it’s great to have on the bike as an emergency light. Comes with mounting bracket which will allow fixing to upright or diagonal posts.

One thing to point out is that this light isn’t USB chargeable as in the picture (which is the reason I ordered it!)
It takes two batteries but they seem to last extremely well.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 January 2014
I think this light is terrific. It takes regular old AAA batteries so you don't need any fancy charger. The LEDs are very bright with several different patterns. There's a particular funky pattern that cycles through flashing and pulsing so gives a quasirandom effect that is sure to catch drivers' attention.

The clip is clever too: it has a belt clip on the back and that very same clip slides into the supplied post or stay mount, so you can ride with the light in the mount and then clip it to your clothes when you're walking or if you take out a different bike.

The only thing I think it's lacking is memory of which pattern you had it on. I liked the feature on my old Catseye light where you pressed the button to cycle pattern and held the button to turn it on or off, as that meant it would turn back on the same pattern as when you switched it off. With this light you have to cycle back through to the pattern you want and then cycle through to turn it back off.
on 9 April 2014
I wanted a lightweight rear light that I could leave on the bike all the time. I had been using a knog frog single LED light and although these are good and probably enough for a quick ride home from the pub, they really aren't enough for a proper ride at night time.

The Smart Lunar takes 2xAAA batteries so isn't heavy. They are a little tricky to fit, but there's a rubber weather strip around the case and it all fits back together firmly. The light has a clip at the back which is used to either clip onto your backpack, saddlebag etc, or the clip itself is used to slide securely into its own mounting bracket with a decent 'click'. The mounting bracket is big enough to fit an MTB seatpost and there's also a smaller mount for a seat stay.

The light has multiple flash modes and is VERY bright. Seriously, this thing is bright!

Well recommended.
on 15 March 2014
PROs
+ 5 Light modes (1st light mode "standard flickering" is already perfect)
+ Fits well and allows good degree of rear adjustment
+ Fairly bright (although I wonder whether one 1.0 watt LED would suffice instead of two 0.5 watt)
+ Cheap but surprisingly decent build quality

CONs
- Need to bend to open cover in an awkward way (plastic part my break after 50-100 replacements)
- Need to cycle through 4 more (sometimes questionable) modes to turn it off
- Clip-in mechanism not as sturdy and wobbles a bit
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 11 September 2014
I like this mostly for the variety of flashing patterns it produces. One in particular is very varied and eye catching, and I imagine this makes me more visible. It's very bright too – a friend I was cycling with had to pass me because he was being dazzled! I haven't got it really wet yet (the last type I had failed in the wet) but it's been working for a few months with no problems. The button seems more positive than the floppy one on the old light, which often needed several hard pushes. This only needs a light push. The button is on the top, which may help with water spray. Fitting it was easy.
on 24 October 2015
Wanted a light to fit on rear rack on my bike and this does the job. Flashing, constant 1 LED or constant both LEDs, so can toggle through modes using single switch. Really bright and good range, which is what I want now it is dark both journeys. Not had time to see how well batteries last,but LEDs are good any way and the quoted 50 hours for flash mode will last me all winter. The clips at the side to open the battery compartment are stiff to say the least, which makes it secure, but just be patient and careful when opening.