Customer reviews

Boardwalk Empire - Season 1 (HBO) [DVD] [2012]
Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 13 reviews(3 star). See all 259 reviews
on 10 March 2017
Ok ...ordered by mistake..Not really my cuppa
on 30 October 2016
Not far enough into it to rate it properly.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 December 2012
I love series like Breaking Bad, Wire, etc .... but this one is Average. The 1920s world it represents is a little alien and cold.

By that I mean the main boardwalk and sets are little too closed off - as if the series couldn't afford some sweeping vistas of the prohibition era chicago and atlantic city. And you just don't care for most of the characters - I don't find myself really rooting for a single character.
on 9 November 2015
Started good, but after watching two discs of the first series it starts to get very boring and predictable. The story lives from its appeal to the basic instincts - plenty of nude scenes, blood, sado-maso, etc..... thrown in everytime the story itself falls short. The main actor as well as Kelly Mc Donald give a stunning performance, the rest of the crew plays to clichee. Honestly, nothing compared to Breaking Bad for example. Don't think I will bother to watch through more of this.
on 15 May 2011
I watched the series religiously on 'SKYAtlantic HD', despite wanting to give up on it two thirds of the way through, because I thought it's early promise might eventually bear fruit. It didn't. Okay so it's well acted and well produced, and they obviously spent a lot of money on production values, but ultimately it doesn't live up to the hype.
You cannot place it in the same league as 'Six Feet Under', 'Mad Men', 'The Sopranos', or one offs like 'Band Of Brothers' or 'The Pacific'. It IS good, but it's NOT great!!
I also have two niggles about the series which wont go away. Firstly, the the adolescent leering over naked women. Okay, I like the female form as much as next man (or woman if that's your preference), but it was too much. I appreciate that someone was trying to make a historical point (I guess) about a time when women didn't have breast implants, didn't get 'brazilians' and had fuller figures, but I could have guessed that for myself without the incessant close ups of various breasts and pubic areas!! All a bit 'pervy' to my mind. Secondly, and slightly more trivial, the theme music. What's that about? How can you have hard rock on a prohibition era drama? Not in keeping at all. Had the producers never heard of Scott Joplin or George Gershwin, or just hired a better composer?
So a 3 out of 5 for Boardwalk Empire. Personally I would save my money and wait for the inevitable repeat run before the second series, if you think you missed something. I don't think you did.
55 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 February 2016
Dramatic but he characters were a bit muddled.Not vintage Sscoecese
on 31 August 2015
Brought this to complete the series - good series
on 20 October 2015
Looks great but lacks substance
on 24 August 2014
Quite enjoyable. Not as good as my all time favourite Breaking Bad, so it had a lot to live up to. However, it certainly has potential and I am already into Season 2. I was surprised by how good Nuckie Thompson was as I don't normally like that particular actor.
on 9 July 2014