Customer reviews

Savage [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

on 8 September 2017
Sad and nasty film that I enjoyed.
on 3 January 2013
There is no script to speak of (no pun intended) but it is still a watchable film. The transformation from the pleasant young man Paul, before the attack, to the , quite frankly, damaged animal at the end of the story was well portrayed by Darren Healy who carried the film. It was slow moving but the tension slowly built and you knew there was something awful going to happen somewhere in the story. And it did'nt quite happen where you thought it would happen and when it did - quite brief but quite savage.
on 21 June 2011
This is probably the best Irish film in a long time. The look of the film makes it feel like this could be set anywhere in the world. There is some fantastic acting and I am sure we will hear more from the stars in the future. First time feature director does a great job directing although the script needed some more work as the ending was a bit of a let down.
Dvd extras are good and give an insight into the making of the film.
All in all worth a watch but be warned, it's very violent in parts.
on 14 August 2016
Based on the description of the film, the cover and a few of the reviews, I was expecting an intense, fast paced, bloody, cliched, revenge action/thriller kind of film. This film definitely isn't that. What it is, is a very dark and sometimes very violent character drama. Whilst I didn't get what I was expecting, I was definitely not disappointed. I feel that discussing the plot at all would give too much away but it definitely kept me hooked.

I think this is an excellent piece of Irish cinema. I'm not normally a fan of character dramas but this really held my interest. The lead actor is great and does a brilliant job at portraying the main character. And whilst i'd probably not watch it again, watching this film was a great viewing experience and very few films deliver a film that is a true experience to watch. At some point (when the DVD becomes more reasonably priced) i'm definitely going to add this to my collection purely to share it with other people and watch them react.

Also, how the Amazon rating is a 15 I really don't know. I wouldn't recommend showing this to your 15 year old kid unless you don't mind paying for counselling.
on 4 September 2015
A very powerful film, mainly focusing on the coming to terms with the feeling of helplessness and being vulnerable to the sickening attack against him. When I was watching it I put myself in his situation and whole heartedly felt for the character.

Sadly there are some very sick people in this world and im sure things like this and worse have happened in the past!

I think this film is well worth a watch, just be warned there are a couple of cringe worthy moments, only near the start of the film and the end though but I can see why these were added in what is a very powerful and thought provoking film, thought provoking very much in how you would handle the situation during the attack and after!
on 8 September 2016
WOW!
A brilliant film with an ending that some may say was predictable but beyond anyone's imagination. I found the characters portrayed in a believable way.
As a victim of crime I found the film inspirational. I watch at least one film a day and comment on one every 3to4 months and have never began one wow before.
on 7 April 2016
For any man who has asked themselves the question - 'How would I react in that situation?' this film tells a story.
It will also, for that reason, resonate differently with male and female viewers.
What does it do to you when you feel that you should have reacted better, and the memory continues to haunt you to the extent of making you jump at shadows?
The assault the main character suffers is over the top, and you only realise how much as the film unfolds when the police are asking why he was targeted as it seems to much for a random attack. It strikes at the very heart of his manhood, and I would defy anyone to react rationally.
The main character's descent into madness as he can't reconcile what he feels he needs to become, and who he actually is, is well portrayed.
The ending is a bit of a twist, and while at first seems a bit of a let down, you realise that it was actually inevitable.
on 19 September 2015
very savage.
on 29 September 2013
Savage is a story about the consequences of violence, it revolves around a young press photographer who suffers a terrible assault in the city where he lives. The attack itself is brutal and leaves scars both physical and mental. It then follows how he handles the experience (not well!) and the ultimnate outcome.

The film is a good watch, the vision of Paul's disintergration is well shown and as the cover blurb says is reminiscent of Taxi Driver, although doesn't really come close in terms of overall quality. That being said it is a solid film and worth watching, the main character is well portrayed and the supporting cast also do a good job.

The events play on some of our fears for those familiar with inner city violence, although it doesn't delve into their existence, it sticks totally to Paul's experience, so they are portrayed mostly as monsters, which from his perspective is reasonable enough.

I thought the end was a little overdone, but it did work in the context of the film and the final scene is quite effective. I did feel for the charcter throughout the film even though he's not a likeable character. Overall thisd is a decent watch.
on 12 June 2016
Says it in the title - savage. You could also say stark, violent, dystopian; visiting our darker selves. I'd put it in the same box as 'Unthinkable' with Samual L Jackson. A look into the depths of the human capacity.