2,568
Format: Blu-ray|Change
Price:£24.84+ £1.26 shipping

on 5 September 2010
I revisited the full-sized Lincoln Center NYC IMAX screen for the extended (2:50) Special Edition of Avatar. Was it worth the price of another admission?

Yes, it is worth the money. The added frames, some measured in seconds, others in minutes, are very worthwhile, and, in retrospect, necessary.

A new, horned, blue-gold buffalo-like herd animal is introduced (a "sturmbeest" according to Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora (Film Tie in)) which makes several appearances, including a herd hunting scene with Jake and others astride bansees. On the forest science trek, before the thanator chases him, Na'vi Jake gets to see Grace's abandoned, dilapidated schoolhouse but is not answered when he asks about bullet holes in the wall.

There is a new, pink carpet of luminescence in the forest, and an extended scene with the spinning fan lizards near the Tree of Souls. The mating scene now includes the interlocking of queues, but is not as explicit as Zoë Saldana has hinted at. A major addition occurs between the landing at the Hallelujah Mountains remote lab and the actual entrance to the lab in which Jake, in a voiceover, explains that the mountains float because of a mag-lev effect of the superconductor unobtainium within the mountains. (Aside: In physics this repulsion of superconductors is know as the Meissner Effect.) It is the only time in the film that unobtainium is described as a superconductor, though Selfridge has a floating sample in his office.

In the first cut of the film we see Tsu'tey fall from the RDA transport, presumed dead, but in this extended cut the fall is extended and, later, Tsu'tey is found conscious but mortally wounded. As Toruk Makto, Jake is asked by Tsu'tey to be his "last shadow," and, with appropriate Na'vi ceremony, Jake reluctantly obliges. According to Cameron this death scene was completed by WETA and removed reluctantly just before release because it was felt it disrupted the flow of the ending. It is now back in, and you will have to decide whether that is a good or a bad thing. I vote for good.
on 20 October 2010
I agree to all previous comments, but why no reponse from Amazon to so many questions, come on Amazon give us a response!!!
on 20 August 2013
I'm very happy to rate products that I have purchased through Amazon. I will rate as agreed via the star rating and will rate according to the cost, the availability, the value for money and the overall value of the product. I will not however write a review, the star rating is I feel perfectly adequate for the purpose of identifying value for money and good companies to deal with through Amazon.
on 27 January 2014
I never saw this at the cinema and know enough people who don't like it to give me doubts. But I wanted to form my own opinion. I really, really liked it. Ok, not an original story, and not really much of a story, but its very well made. The 3D is brilliant. The CGI is so good you forget it is CGI - praise enough in my book!
on 2 September 2013
Bought for my sons Birthday he thought it was amazing, he had been asking to watch it for a while and was not disappointed. Its one of those films that you cant help but watch it really is a treat for the eyes and a good story too if you don't get too caught up in the deep and meaningful and just enjoy it for what it is. I'm sure it will be watched over and over.
on 20 August 2011
I cannot believe how amazing this 3d movie is. I watched it on my Smart TV. The 3d depth, clarity and brilliance of the film left me amazed. Every piece of the film, including the story, was stunning. If 3D continues in this brilliant way I will be happy. It really felt as though I was there in the scenes. There is not a dull moment.
44 comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 February 2011
Avatar. One of those films you either love or hate. When I took my daughter to see it at the cinema I was expecting a film which relied on special effects to make up for having no story, but I was wrong. It has a decent (if not exactly ground-breaking) plot, and of course is visually stunning.

-But-

The 3 DVD Extended Collectors Edition has a problem. As disc 1 ends, our hero is climbing out of his pod from where he controls his avatar. He is tired and hungry and needs rest. Insert disk 2 and his avatar is running around in the jungle again. Serious continuity error, which of course would have been spotted on a single disc. It's as though they released a "Director's Cut" without making sure that the director was sober.

I like the film, but this sloppy editing error is annoying. I have returned the 3 disc version and will instead buy a used single disc copy.
on 4 March 2013
Yes the script is cheesy (I mean... a rare metal called Unobtainium? I ask you)...

The plot is simple...

The characters are cardboard (especially the 'baddies')...

And politically correct eco consciousness has been added to the mix...

But who cares?

Avatar grabs you by the hi-defs, inveigles you into believing the hokum and makes you feel good about being big and blue.

What's not to like?
on 1 December 2012
I won't bore you with a rundown of the plot or otherwise, what I will say though is that if you ever want to convince anyone that 3DTV isn't just a gimmick, put this disc in your player, and let them sit there open mouthed... A feast for the eyes!

Why only four stars? - well, knowing how things normally go, I can see that in the next six months, the extended 3D edition will be out, and - well, that will then be four copies of the film that I will have paid in to - A bit of a cash cow, but well worth it :)
on 16 October 2012
So far in the world that is Blu-ray 3d apart Ocean Wonderland and perhaps Hugo nothing for me including Titanic has stood out.

But at last a 3D film that amazes from start to finish

I'd seen Avatar on normal Blu-ray about a year ago but this was literally from another planet.

This is the film that may well start the ball rolling for 3D films in the Uk

So if you have a Blu-ray 3d player it's simple you must buy this.