on 15 March 2017
Very good book for people who actually want to understand how to behave to gain success. Some of the things they reccomend might be a bit obvious but they make you understand what is the mechanism - why it works. Worth buying & easy read. The book I have purchased was super cheap because it was a supposed to be used version, but it actually came new, which was a great surprise.
14 people found this helpful
on 22 January 2018
I've seen so many people rave about this book, especially the sort of corporate/business'y crowd that you wouldn't really trust to sell you a used car... but having bit the bullet I must admit it's really good. Carnegie just opens up what good and personable communication is with plenty of examples - very much worth a read. Harder of course to put in practice day to day but unless you read you won't know what changes to make.
9 people found this helpful
on 16 March 2018
Love love love this book. I re-read it all the time. It's so easy to follow and even easier to apply the principles. There are numerous stories inside that are referred to from hundreds of years ago and right up until the book was written which are very interesting to read. It completely re-evaluated my whole way with people. I think the title could have been better worded i.e. 'winning' people over is a bit of a different way to put it which may sound like you're being false or not yourself just to make friends and get people to do what you want. That's not what I found this book to be. I found it to be something which opened my eyes to some of the ways I communicate and interact with others; both in work and personal life.
on 21 September 2017
This book has definitely increased my confidence with speaking to people and being able to say the right things.

I've struggled for a long time to get my words out and say exactly what I’m thinking. Now I can easily get my point across and speak with confidence.
I was always quite hot headed as well and was quick to judge people and majorly criticize people for things they do. This book taught me that there are more productive and working methods to deal with people who have either done something wrong or annoyed you.

Considering i havent picked up a book in years, i found myself wanting to read this over and over again.
on 10 August 2017
Well I hate the narration of this audio book!
The content itself is nicely written in an easy light hearted feel; with some really good points to be taken to heart if one wants to improve not only public relations but overall view on today's world.
It took ages to get used to the narrator's voice and accent so much so that having listened to it for about tenth time I feel this audio is my only solace to tune into on a stressful day!
Worries melt away; heart fills with joy and the mind finds a new perspective.
A must in anyone's library!
on 11 March 2015
I was introduced to Dale Carnegie by a marketing friend and first read "How to Stop Worrying and Start Living" mainly to help with procrastination and what stops me from moving forward in my own skills. After reading this book and implementing what it teaches I then purchased this book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" which is the revised edition. It was just as brilliant as the first book. It arrived and I got to reading each chapter twice (Dale teaches why you need to do this) and it is already beginning to give me more confidence and my life is much better just for reading these two books.

I purchased the hardback in good condition. I was a little disappointed that the book had highlighted points through it at first but then I realised that the points had been highlighted for a reason and as this book was second hand I quite understood it.

My advise is if you want a perfect condition book then buy it brand new, but I feel it's the same book and the same good read. If it is working for me then it will for you too. I would definitely purchase a second hand or used book again in the future. For me it wasn't about the condition of the book it was what it has done for me. So, with that in mind I highly recommend this book especially if you are in business or sales role.

Top advice and a great read!
3 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2017
The only book that succeeded in leading me away from being lost in the social world. Unlike most How to books, Carnegie is capable of bringing insight on top of telling you what to do. Imagine someone telling you to blindly follow a rule, while another makes you understand the reasoning behind his rule before giving you the choice to do it, which would succeed? Carnegie's insight in his book is mind opening, and the best part is that his insights made sense to the point that I do not need to forcefully memorise his rules in social interactions because it's something that sticks in your mind wherever you go, whoever you meet.
on 28 January 2016
This is a remarkable book. Yes, you have to look past the undercurrent of Capitalism that fuels it, and the slightly over-robust enthusiasm that is engendered by the age in which it was written; but, as a guide to relating to people, and challenging them without simply irritating them, it is inspired.

I work as a Rogerian, person-Centred counsellor, and many of the ideas Carnegie promulgates fit very neatly with Rogers's own eminently human philosophy.

If I could single out just one gem, then it was the essentially humbling notion: why would I tell someone that they are wrong, when no useful purpose is to be served by doing so other than to boost my own ego?

Well worth the (very simple) effort of reading.
One person found this helpful
on 6 September 2016
After reading the first 3 chapters, I can certainly see why this book has such high reviews. The advice in here seems so obvious when you think about it, and I can say from first hand experience that the effects of putting some of this advice into practice is astounding. Very powerful stuff. Buy it and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
3 people found this helpful
on 6 March 2017
I'm giving this book 5 stars for at least giving some sound grounding for social interactions! well structured with great tips.
4 people found this helpful