on 15 April 2014
I've had a battery-operated Seiko watch for something like twenty years and I thought it was about time (pardon the pun) to upgrade to this solar version. Having bought it just before Christmas last year I left it under table lamps for hours to charge it up, and put it on the window-sill if there was any light in early January. Still it wouldn't start! I was seriously thinking of returning it to Amazon and I don't know why I'd not thought of this earlier but I suddenly decided to set the day date and time to the current day, and Lo and Behold it started!! It had clearly been charged for some time but there was nothing in the manual to indicate that one had to set these dates and times to make it suddenly leap into life. Suffice to add it has remained working ever since and I check it now and again against the BBC News and it seems to have hardly lost a second in all this time (sorry, another unintended pun!)
on 19 October 2012
I purchased this watch after scouring the high street for a watch that would suit my quite skinny forearm and thin wrist.....the fashion nowadays seems to be for watches with faces the size of dinner plates which look ridiculous on me.
I was looking for a dress watch and this one appealed because its plain but classy at the same time. Above all, it is quite thin and its smallish diameter suits the thinner wrist. The solar power is a bonus, however I've only just got the watch and cannot yet comment on the timekeeping.
As always Amazon free delivery lived up to the mark with the watch being delivered before scheduled delivery date. Also top price (£50 cheaper than H.Samuel). Of course, you will have to pay to get the strap altered but my local jeweller done it on the spot for £3.
The only reason I'm not giving it 5 stars is that I would have preferred the strap links to be a bit smaller as the watch on my wrist was either very loose or just a smidgin on the tight side....
However, its a good buy for the price.
on 26 March 2013
I highly recommend this watch if you are looking for a simple yet elegant analog watch.

I chose this watch as an alternative to my Casio G-shock GW-6900. I picked this particular Seiko watch because of the simple looks and because I wanted a watch with weekday/date function. Being used to the solar powered battery in my G-shock, I definitely also saw this function as a plus. The only thing I would change about this watch is adding atomic signal synchronizing. If Seiko made this watch but with this added function I would be an instant buyer.

The Seiko watch is small and elegant enough to be used with a suit or just casual clothes (the watch fits easily under the shirt cuffs - something my G-shock doesn't).

This is a great watch for someone who doesn't feel the need for an expensive watch like a Rolex or Audemars Piguet yet still want a quality watch from a specialized and well known watchmaker. I would be willing to pay at least twice as much for this watch.

Just a quick heads up to people not used to watches with date function: This is my first analog watch with date and I was not aware that you had to manually set the date on months with less than 31 days. As far as I know this is the case even with very expensive watches.
on 12 December 2013
It is a smart watch having just the details I require. It is useful to have the days of the week when one is retired as I am.
If that sounds daft, think of how many times when you are on holiday, you ask your partner 'What day is it today?'
Re the bracelet.I have had other Seiko watches and managed to remove links quite easily. These took about 21/2 hours, a bruised hand and a broken finger nail.
on 10 September 2011
The watch is fine. It is rather heavier than my previous titanium watch, and thicker. The strap needed to be taken in by a local jeweller. Not much of a hassle, really, although an extra cost. The delivery was fine within the estimated time. The watch has a luminous dial which works for about 20 minutes after you come in from the sun. The battery charging time will be wonderful, if it works over the life of the watch, given that I do indeed walk around in full sunlight for at least 20 minutes per day. Your mileage, as they say, may vary.
on 6 March 2014
arrived within the estimated time,i had to have the bracelet adjusted even with my thick wrists,and once i got to know how to set the date and day i was happy the only reason i didnt give five stars was the luminius part of the watch,it isnt very good other than that a pretty good watch for the price
on 13 March 2014
Stylish, quality, accuracy and comfort sum up this watch nicely.
Very pleased with the purchase. Had it a week so far and not noticed any significant time loss.
Only minor niggle was that the strap is too large for me. Had to get 3 links removed by a jeweler, but now it fits like a glove.
Nice not to ever have to buy a battery for it too.
Highly recommended.
on 22 February 2014
I have only had this watch for a few days but being a Seiko I don't expect much in the way of problems with it. Taking links out was the usual removal of the pins holding them together and then refitting them back together by pressing the pins back into the holes in the link. It needs a fine pin extractor. I made one out of an old jewellers screwdriver some years ago. All in all a good watch.
on 21 July 2015
Fantastic watch everything I have come to expect from Seiko, my wife bought me my first Seiko about 1975. This is the first time I have had a solar powered watch it was easy to set up and keeps fanatastic time. In addition the stainless steel bracelet needed adjusting taking the links out was a doddle. Got details how to remove links off Y Tube so it saved me the cost of having it altered at a Jeweller, so all in all I would recommend that you buy this watch, it was a good price also.

Barry C
on 14 April 2015
I really like this watch. Very simple, classic looking face, and so far it is running like a dream. Solar power is actually quite amazing - the smallest amount of light (inside or out) can power it for extended periods of time and over the last two weeks since getting it, it has kept exceptionally accurate time.

I am a big Seiko fan. Their history of technology innovation and quality is second to none, and it is only fashion snobbery that sees them looked down upon compared to much more expensive French brands.