Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 10 October 2008
Having grown up with the classic poems in this book, and its slightly lesser known companion volume "Now We Are Six", and knowing that it's of my oldest posessions, it's hard to describe how it feels to now be revisiting its battered pages and reading them to my own children, but I rarely read them out loud without an enormous lump in my throat. It's a testimony to the timelessness of Milne's work that its as universally loved by them as it was by me at their age. There's something about his style that paints such a vivid picture of childhood that the reader is irresistably swept up by the imaginative and colourful landscape of Milne's writing. Some of these poems have become famous in their own right - 'Buckingham Palace' , 'Halfway Down' 'The King's Breakfast' to name but a few. Among my personal favourites though, are 'Sand Between The Toes', 'The Island, 'Before Tea' and, the haunting closing 'Vespers' but in all of them, the author conveys the child's view of the world in a way that has been much imitated but in my opinion never equalled. Immersing yourself in the lines of these poems, somehow you are really there, peeping through a crack in the door as Christopher Robin kneels muttering by his bed, or watching him as he sits halfway up the stairs, or walking with him, coin tucked tightly in hand on a windswept beach. Such is the evocative power of the text.

Of course, all this is only enhanced by the illustrations of E.H Shepherd who "helpd" make the visual aspect so memorable, and who created the pre-Disney Winnie-The-Pooh that we all know and love. No bookshelf of child adult or anywhere in between can be complete without a copy of this unforgettable work!
on 8 September 2008
Bought these editions of "When We Were Very Young" and "Now We Are Six" for my mother as it was a favourite book of hers when she was young. They are beautifully produced with the original Shepherd drawings very tastefully painted in, in watercolours. Printed on pale yellow pages with a quality book binding. Overall these have a lovely feel and lovers of these rhymes will not be disappointed. I am very pleased I chose these editions and so is Mum!
on 11 July 2009
I bought this book as a present and I was thrilled when it arrived. The detail on the cover made it extra special as a gift. I will remember it and may buy another copy in the future when I am unsure what to buy to give to someone. Also, very good value for money. Thank you Amazon.
on 12 December 2000
This book was my favourite as a child and is now the favourite of my two children. It is essential each child has their own copy as it continues to be a treasured possession when you leave home! As a first book of poetry it is both poignant and funny. It appeals to both children and adults alike and is suitable from a very early age. The concluding poem 'Vespers' is essential bedtime reading. In short any child brought up without this poetry is being shortchanged indeed. Its follow on book 'Now we are Six' is equally as brilliant and a perfect present for a sixth birthday. The main problem is the impatience you may feel waiting for your child to reach this age!
on 14 March 2016
Indistinguishable on screen, at first glance, from the classic Methuen edition but a huge disappointment. At the foot of the front cover, beneath what looks like a low-resolution scan of Ernest Shepard's delightful vignettes, is a gold-foil bar with a silhouetted profile of the Disney Winnie-the-Pooh. An inexcusably vulgar anachronism. OK for those who believe Christopher Robin and Pooh started with Walt Disney, or don't care — but I wanted to give a quality edition of a much-loved classic as a birth present, and I was robbed of that pleasure.
on 25 April 2003
Timeless, both for the words and drawings.
For children of all ages.
on 18 May 2010
What is there to say about having this wonderful aspect of childhood recaptured.
Just longing to pass it on to the grandchild generation before the get swamped with all the high glitz and glamour that proliferates.
on 4 November 2016
I bought this children’s classic to read with my boy, and he loves it, but what really surprised me was the beauty and grace of the quieter, nature poems that I had found so boring as a kid. I still love my childhood favourites which I remember by the lines rather than their titles (e.g. Halfway up the stairs, James James, Morrison Morrison, Lines and Squares, ‘I do like a little bit of butter to my bread’, ’they hadn’t got a rabbit, not anywhere there’, ’They’re changing guard at Buckingham Palace’, 'hush, hush, whisper who dares' etc ).

But as an adult, the real hits for me are – The Dormouse and the Doctor (a little too close to home), The Alchemist, The Wrong Home, The Invaders). With all the themes of the joy of nature and the magic of poetry he’s like a more-accessible Wordsworth. If you’ve never read it – WHY ARE YOU STILL EVEN HERE? BUY IT IMMEDIATELY!! If you have already read it, buy it as a Christmas present for your favourite child.
on 22 May 2009
My littlest ones are the third generation of the family to revere this essential text for a happy home. The two AA Milne poetry books (this and Now We Are Six) bear reading, re-reading and reading over and over again. The children can chant and shout the shorter verses "And that, said John is That!" and really involve themselves in the musicality and rhythm of such treats as The Kings Breakfast and Missing. In our family these sacred texts are the closest you can get to singing without music.
on 31 July 2003
This book was absolutely wonderful. It is a collection of poetry written by A.A. Milne. My favorite was 'A bear no matter how he tries/ grows tubby without exercise' I had heard that line before, but never realized that it is the beginning of an 80 line poem where Edward Bear is worried about his weight. He ends up meeting the King of France who is very tubby as well. After this meeting, He is comfortable with his tubbiness. There are also poems about racing water droplets, fishing, knights and ladies, James James Morrison Morrison and more.