on 9 December 2011
Firstly, there seem to be 2 identical, 1-star reviews from 2 different users, with some wildly false claims (you do NOT have to replace all the toners at once!!! And there are compatible toner cartridges available). Seems to be a disgruntled customer rather than an accurate review!

We use this in our small office environment with 4 employees, with fairly low-to-medium print requirements.

Set-up was a doddle - all 4 laptops were able to print wirelessly within half an hour (using Windows 7).

Scanning & photocopying (with auto document feed) all work well & intuitively. On the down side, it's a shame there's no USB socket that you can scan to, or print from a flash drive.

The duplex printing facility was a real selling point to us and works brilliantly. Not had a single paper jam in over a year.

The vast majority of our printing is monochrome. Print speeds are excellent. First page is out in aprox 20 secs and then it churns them out at quite a reasonable speed (even in duplex mode).

Print quality is great. We use it in "normal" 600dpi mode (as opposed to "fine" 2400dpi) all the time & blacks are good & strong. Colour reproduction is also good.

The downside? Print yields are very disappointing. HOWEVER, there are ways to improve them: set the defaults so that it prints in mono, in "normal 600dpi" mode, with toner-saver on, duplex on and - for the extra frugal - print 2 pages per side! And the BIG saver, watch the youtube videos that show you how to reset the cartridge's page counter so that you can print beyond the "out of toner" alerts. It's a very easy job, takes about 1 min with a philips screwdriver!

Next, look out for Brother promotions to get the price lower or free toner/extended warranty. Overall, an excellent printer for small office environment but make sure you factor in print costs.
on 27 August 2012
I have been using this as an office printer for over a year and it is a very good product for the price being asked. The only missing option is that of a fax, but in all honesty does anyone need this any more?

The capacity of the toner cartridges supplied with the printer is a bit on the low side, but the replacements are reasonable for the quantity of pages they will print. It does not just stop printing at an arbitrary point but lets you run the cartridges down and replace them when needed.

The printer has a comprehensive report capability if you browse to it's IP address directly.

You can chose to save a lot of the toner if you go for the lower DPI options, but you can really up the quality if you want to print something important. I ended up using it to print my wedding order of service and was not disappointed with the results.

One note, I object to the 2 identical reviews rating this printer as 1-star, this is not a fair representation of something that is actually very good value.
on 19 May 2013
Firstly a caveat, I have not had this long enough to comment on running costs or wear characteristics. That aside I am very pleased with functionality and print quality standards. The duplex is easy to set up and has revolutionised ease and printing of multi paged reports. Scanning is easy and quite speedy and it has met with nearly all of my expectations. In a busy home office it offers virtually everything you might want in one, admittedly large, unit (slight readjustment of office furniture required to accommodate said printer as it was much larger than previous ink jets). Wireless networking from my lap top has been a real revelation and saved a lot of transferring of documents and time.

Instructions were good and clear but I had the benefit of a "techy" who sorted me out pdq! My only gripe is that I would have liked a USB and/or card reader input for ease. Otherwise perfect for my purposes.
on 8 December 2012
The printer has done well for me for the past year and was a steal with the cashback that was running when I bought it.

For the users that commented on the cost of toner it is not any more expensive than many of the alternative options and yes the cartridges that come with it are only around 1,500 pages but then what printer does come with full cartridges when new? Printing is fast, copying is good and you can do a single side to duplex photocopy through the document feeder.

The printer is not going to do for high volumes of printing such as 25+ users but it handles well for the home user, small office environment. The main flaw with the unit for me is the lack of duplex to duplex photocopying through the document feeder but that would require a much bigger unit. Overall very happy with the unit and very much disagree with the 1 star reviews - and yes you can get re-manufactured toner but the last two from different companies both leaked so I would advise sticking to the OEM as you do sometimes get what you pay for. If you needed cheaper per unit costs you do really need to much more heavily invested in a very large printer designed for offices!
This impressive beast of a colour laser printer is ideal for small business use. It's quick, versatile and pretty easy to use.

The software installation isn't always as straightforward as you might hope (even with latest software/driver/firmware updates on your machine): I wound up going drivers only for a Vista-based installation as a full-software version kept throwing up problems... even after I'd dealt with all of those listed.

However, once we got past the initial software glitches this has proven to be a reliable and versatile device. The only task we don't throw its way being the printing of glossy brochure covers/fliers. This is do-able, but budget laser printer technology still lacks the clarity and colour definition of photo/inkjet printers, so we retain an inkjet for these. For all other (colour) tasks, this is a great workhorse.
on 21 March 2012
Having purchased an Hp CM1415fn MFP I found it was not 'fit for purpose' (it does not scan from pc as advertised) and I am still doing battle with Hp. I needed a solution fast and this came in the form of the Brother DCP-9055CDN. I am running Win7 on networked computers - it installed without problems and the auto duplex is particularly good. Time will tell with regard to toner costs, but the spec looks good. A first class solution.
on 6 April 2014
Works great from a printing, scanning and copying perspective. No reliability issues seen, I have two of these and have been using them for almost two years now. Only comment would be that the build quality doesn't feel as sturdy as some more expensive alternatives, but like I said, this hasn't impacted my units in two years of operation. Recommended.
on 4 February 2014
We have two offices with one of these in each office. The person who has left two identical, grossly inaccurate, one star reviews should be ignored.

This is a great printer. Print quality and speed is excellent. Ideal for a small to medium office. The scanner / copier function is great for documents. It's not brilliant for photos but I didn't buy it for that.

I have always run ours on genuine Brother cartridges and they have been faultless. I had an Brother laser printer before where I used compatible cartridges that leaked. This caused a messy printer and messier prints. I haven't been brave enough to use compatibles since then.
on 29 June 2014
Got fed-up buying blummin rip-off cartridges for my old ink-jet printer so took the plunge and went for this colour laser job - small enough to sit on top of filing cabinet and prints great and very easy to scan.
on 25 April 2014
Just wish the printed paper delivery area help more copies. But otherwise great little printer, Love the booklet feature - so easy to use.