on 7 April 2011
I bought this flash for my Canon EOS as I needed an Speedlite but was on a tight budget and the Canon ones just blew my budget at this times.

This flash is well built and fits easily to the hot shoe of the camera with no issues at all. It is very easy to set-up and use. There is no digital display on the back to help with changing functions and showing info and parameters like the Canon models but you can control everything from there.

The flash has full TTL control from within the camera menus and works brilliantly. Output of the flash is excellent and to me is up there with the 580ex which makes it even better value for money!

There were issues with the previous Nissin flashes and being able to use standard wireless triggers and TTL cables to trigger the flash off camera meaning sending the flash back to upgrade firmware or buying a very expensive Nissin TTL cable but with this flash this is not the case at all. I use it off camera with a cheap wireless trigger and it works perfectly - no TTL control only manual this way but that would be the same as any flash used this way and is nothing to do with this model.

Battery life is good, getting about 300 flashes on full power using duracel stay charged batteries, although it does help to have a spare set charged in your camera bag as when they start to run down there is not much warning before they are dead. The only way of telling is the recharge time of the flash and when that stops being excellent then you know to change the batteries.

It comes well packed in its box and with instructions on a CD, off camera stand and a protection pouch with a drawstring top.

I have not been able to use this flash in slave mode as this is my first flash and my camera cannot control slave flashes without having another speedlite as the master (whatever model). This will be something for the future for me when I am able to purchase a second speedlite.

Using the flash on manual mode the fastest shutter speed I can get away with is 1/320 or the photos come out dark or partially banded with black.

Picture quality of anything I have taken with this flash is excellent and just shows how bad the cameras built in flash is! Just excellent.

I do microstock photography and this is just what the is needed for those isolated backgrounds and good lighting on portraits. This can take your photography to a new level.

The built in diffuser and fill in reflector do their job too.

All in all I have to give this a 5* rating and it is excellent value for money.
on 7 May 2015
The purchase I made was listed as ex display, so it wasn't brand new out of the box and it was listed as the Mark ii. However, when it arrived it was actually just the Di622 and it wasn't much cheaper than buying the Markii brand new. Having said that I already have a Mark ii, hence the reason for the purchase.

Since it isn't the Mark ii I use it as my master with my Mark ii as the slave. Either way, both flash units are sturdily built the Mark ii having more functional control. I have had my Mark ii for several years and it has never let me down, apart from when I forgot to put the batteries in of course. I would definitely recommend this model, it is used in manual mode, has various power settings and is economical on battries, I use rechargables and always have a spare set just in case, but have never had to resort to using them.

Why only three stars, for no other reason than I didn't actually receive what I was expecting to receive, otherwise the Mark ii version is definitely worth five stars.

Tish
on 5 February 2012
I was initially really pleased with this speedlite which I purchased to use with my Canon EOS 500D.
It produced excellent results in dark conditions indoors and outdoors.
Bouncing the light of a ceiling allows portraits photos to be taken without any shadows behind the person/object.

Unfortunately, after only 4 months, the pilot light stopped turning green to indicate it's ready.
This meant that the flash no longer fired, even with new batteries.

I contacted Nissin and they advised I send it to them for repair.
However I did not want to incur an extra cost for P&P, so I returned it back to Amazon for a full refund.

After a quick search on Google, it seems like a few others have experienced similar problems.
on 4 February 2013
I bought two and love them.

One thing that i don't think has been said much is that if you have a Canon 60D you can fire these using the camera's IR in wireless mode. Also if you have a white background in a studio the signal can bounce back to the flashes positioned either side of the camera.

If you want to use them outside you can either fire the on camera flash and let the flashes fire manually or use a TTL transmitter / receiver which i now need to save up for !
on 5 August 2012
Thia flashgun is fantastic for the price , ok it does not have a lED read out on the back but nissin has kept this flashgun simple to use, it has so many features at hand that it can even give the top guns a run for the money( canon Nikon Metz ) It is so good that i will be getting another two or its bigger brother the Di866 which has more power and has master control of the slave units.
on 21 May 2013
This is a great flash, I've used it with the Canon 600D and it is excellent as good as its successor at a bargain price, ideal for someone on a tight budget.
on 1 July 2013
Very pleased with the speedlite for my Cannon camera. I think the product was very reasonably priced I'm well satisfied.
on 22 May 2011
Fitted nicely to my Canon EOS550. So far so good. Not tested all its settings but pics will flash look good. Much more powerful than my Sunpak PF-30X (which wouldn't work with my 550, only my 400d)
on 25 April 2013
I bought this to go with my Canon EOS 5D MKII, specifically for wedding photography, and I couldn't be more pleased with it.

It's tough, powerful, recycles fast enough for my needs, and works great in all modes. Very pleased that I chose it.
on 26 January 2015
Had for over a year and very good flash. No problems and using with 60D.