on 9 October 2011
I have this running nicely printing from the attached PC and as a shared printer, including printing OK from an iPad.

Brother are offering £[] cashback on this model until December 2011 (best check current availability on Brother website before you buy).

Print quality is good and output is pretty quick. Noise levels a OK, but not as quiet as the Samsung it replaced.

My main concern with this printer was to keep print costs down and there are a few features it's worth knowing about:

* duplex printing - you use fewer sheets of paper and so perhaps save a couple of quid per ream.
* brother don't chip the cartridge on this model, so refilling with toner is easier and cheaper, if you want to avoid changing the cartridge each time. Few other manufacturers allow this still.
* this model has separate drum and toner, so you don't have to replace both.
* it has a toner save mode, quality and toner density is still OK in this mode
* it is rated pretty good for electricity use

All the paper trays sit within the body and don't stick out so although it appears very slightly larger than other models, it actually is more compact in use.

Setup was quick and really straighforward. Note that there is a firmware update available.
on 4 April 2012
Well I ordered this for my Mac. it installed ok. Printed test page with duplex. Tried to print word document NO DUPLEX, only ADOBE gave option. rang support they took my details said did not know Macs would get back to me. Then tried to register with Brother but said I had already registered. Wrote support who said I needed proof of purchase for help!. Support rang back next day to give me PC-program I could download to change printer to duplex. This showed default was mono not duplex! Changed to duplex on but still only prints mono by default on botha PC or Mac!!! Asked about registration-said yes they had registered me so I could not register myself. They changed settings so I have been able to register in my name.I have wasted loads of time, paper and toner with no automatic duplex printing on PC or Mac. However, find the option to print duplex is present when printing from Word or Mail so I can now print in duplex. Support has now emailed me to say that they have just found out that you cannot set this machine to print duplex by default!
on 8 December 2010
This seems like a terrific little printer. When it arrived it printed wonderfully when plugged directly into my computer via USB. However, when plugged into my Airport Express base station for wireless printing, issues with the software meant it stopped printing every page and had to be manually restarted. Obviously not practical, so I returned it. Thus, if you are considering this printer, be aware that it has a known (by Brother) incompatibility with Apple machines for wireless printing.
on 17 June 2011
This small printer is a delight to work with. Small foot print and height means that it is easy to fit into a small home office. Auto duplex is easy to set up but you must remember to check printing before undertaking a bulky job. The toner provider didn't last that long but a new Brother toner should give me a better idea of usage.
on 26 September 2011
I bought this printer when I started working from home. It is perfectly good for what I use it for, and there is certainly no need for me to have a colour printer. The downsides are that sometimes it prints with a light ghosting across the whole page, and not perfect quality and the toner that came with it has not lasted me as long as I would have expected. I've had it 4 months and not even got through one ream of paper, and the toner light is flashing, but I am hoping the high capacity toner I have now ordered will last a lot longer.
It's a great little printer, so simple, needs no setting up, but be warned it doesn't come with a USB cable, and you need the funny square shape USB connector.
on 9 January 2012
The sole purpose for the purchase of this printer was as a replacement for a HP1022 Mono laser. The HP had worked great until I upgraded my Mac to Snow Leopard. Despite numerous attempt's nothing would bring the HP back online to anything resembling normal usage.
Brother gave excellent online 'chat' support confirming, prior to purchase, the printer works with Mac 10.6.8 (SL) and the assurance it is compatible with Mac OS 10.7.x (Lion) that has proved to be correct.
The printer is straightforward and quick to set-up and works perfectly, producing clear duplex documents.
The only thing I would say is that I now wish I'd purchased the wireless version for convenience. If you're looking at this printer maybe you'd consider the wireless version too.
It is the first Brother product I have purchased and I'm impressed with the build quality, print quality and the online customer support (during my research for another printer) has been superb.
It got Brother this sale.
on 27 October 2012
Had a Brother printer before and this one is the same high quality product. Tiny bit noisy but then I do not print mountains of stuff so it suits me.
Shame the delivery guy just abandoned it in the back garden with the box open..
A comment I put on the delivery feedback form but never heard anything back.
on 13 November 2011
I'm not a technology expert, but from my point of view of a student who need to print LOTS of stuff, i just simply proud of my new printer. Its easy to install, easy to use, and quick! I wont be bothered by the sound, because i think its normal for a printer to make noise(pretty smooth sound actually!) but the printing wouldn't take too long so why so bothered by it. About the price, i think its reasonable looking at how easy it make my live now(with duplex+laser speed printing) compared to using 3 in 1 inkjet printer which i had to think of changing the cartridge every month. However, you might need to buy extra toner because the toner that came with the printer wouldn't last very long. So, from my simple way of thinking i highly recommeded it!
on 3 April 2012
I bought this to replace a Kyocera printer. The printer is compact, more so than the printer it replaced, and produces good quality text. There are three print quality options and the lower value, 300 dpi, is reasonable for text although not good for graphics. I particularly needed the duplex printing option and this works well and the output is fast. The one quibble I have with the printer, and the reason I gave it 4 stars, was the noise. This is quite a noisy printer even on standby and a good deal noisier than the printer it replaced. I shall be switching it off when not being used. But for the price still a very good printer.
on 26 April 2013
If you are looking for a very basic, easy to use, non messing about, good quality mono laser printer this is it!
The HL-2240D makes only black and white prints but the quality is very good for the price. The set-up instructions given are very brief but covers more or less everything you need to know to set-up and operate the product. For full instructions you can always obtain it from the brother website anyway.
The toner and drum comes fully inserted into the printer. So far no problems with the quality of its print, no smears, and no jams from the double printing mechanism. You can always change the setting to single page prints if required. As the saying goes the simplier the technology the better. The printer size is nice and compact. It can be a little noisy in the wake mode with the fan within keeping the drum and circuitry cool but not to annoying level. The printer goes to an automatic, power preserve sleep mode after a period of six minutes when its not active which stops the fan, and kicks in again when printing begins.
As expected no printer cables comes with the product and the packaging as a whole is not too big or cumbersome.
The delivery of the product was very prompt as I received it within two days of order.
My only minor issue so far is registering the product online. Despite entering the serial number and date on the brother website it unable to recognise the date as it kept saying the printer registration date is over the six month period for that product. This may off course be a registration bug on the brothers website but as far as the product is concerned it is perfect for home use if you're only using it for making regular black and white copies.