on 12 July 2012
I spent a lot of time searching for a reasonably priced duplex laser printer for my small business and came across this - It's a neat and unobtrusive unit which fits well in my small office. Connectivity and setup on my network was a very easy process and My Mac Pro installed all necessary drivers on the fly.

Overall, I would highly recommend this printer, it's an absolute bargain at this price!

Pros -
Easy Setup Mac & PC
Neat and Unobtrusive
Duplex, Ethernet & USB

Cons -
Curls 80g paper a little
Quite Noisy (even for a for a short while after a print run)
Half toner cartridge supplied
18 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 12 February 2014
I purchased the Brother Hl-2250DN to replace a Brother HL-2140 that I have had for several years. I’d been toying with getting a replacement, but it was only that it had run out of tone that spurred me to action. Although I have a full colour laser printer, I have a number of applications that are purely monochrome; one in particular print details onto a peel-off plastic membership card, which will not absorb inks, so a laser printer is essential.
Following the set-up guide was simplicity itself, and within ten minutes of opening the box I had produced a test page which, incidentally, was in duplex. There were three main reasons for choosing the Brother; firstly I have been completely satisfied with the HL-2140, secondly the auto-duplex feature and finally the ability to network it.
Network set-up was as simple as the connection set-up and, within 25 minutes of opening the box, I had two PC’s, one on Windows 7 and the other on Windows 8 sharing the printer.
As every other aspect of set-up was so easy, it didn’t surprise me that print set-up was equally simple. Clicking on printer set-up displays an easy to follow set of menus that guide the user through the process.
I thought the HL-2140 was quite speedy for such a small printer, but the HL-2250DN is even faster, and first page out time is very short. An added bonus was that the footprint of both printers is exactly the same, so there was no need to rearrange my desk. I'm amazed that Brother can produce such a well featured printer at this price; I’m delighted with it.
on 22 December 2013
Firstly, I believe in saving trees. I don't print stuff too often and can use pretty good colour printers in work. However I decided it would be good to have a printer at home for the odd occasion I need it. I considered the following factors before choosing this printer:

- I don't print much so an ink jet printer is probably not a good choice. Inkjets perform best when used regularly so that the print nozzles don't dry up and get blocked.
These printers will regularly do a self clean to keep the nozzles clean. If you don't print much you might find you have used more ink cleaning the nozzles than printing on paper. Laser printers are more suitable than inkjet for less frequent use.
- I am not looking for a photo printer or colour. I wanted something which could print very good quality mono text and basic graphics.
- I wanted Ethernet so I can access this from any device on my network.- very handy - you can print from any device without the need for printer sharing from a computer (which would need to be on, consuming unnecessary power). Setup was simple, plug the ethernet cable into your router,turn on the printer an voila...a few seconds later your printer has an IP address and is detectable. No issues with setup on Win 8.1. after downloading latest software from Brother support site. Not tried Mac OS X yet but I know that will be fine.
- This printer is NOT an Airprint printer so your iPhone,iPad or iPod touch won't find it ordinarily. Don't worry,you can still print from these devices by downloading Brothers free iPrint&Scan app from the AppStore. Works quite well too.
- the cost of replacement Toner is not bad in comparison to other printers.

The quality of printed text is excellent. Very sharp and consistent. I printed a few pages of the manual and the text and graphics are great.
I tried printing a standard jpeg I took on my ipod and it looks bad. This is not designed for such tasks so look elsewhere if you are looking for an 'all rounder' .
It's pretty well constructed. It sits well and looks pretty nice and simple. It doesn't take up a massive footprint also so would be good for a small office too
It has auto duplexing which is cool.
It's not the quietest printer in operation but other reviewer's comments on the noise are a bit over the top. Laser printers print fast anyway so the duration of noise shouldn't be too bad. There's very little idle noise and you can simply switch it off anyway.

In summary, I am delighted with this printer considering the price in comparison with other printers. If you are looking for a simple network printer which has been designed to produce great mono text, then this printer will delight you. The quality of the text print on lasers is usually great. The difference in text quality between this printer and one 3 times the price must be negligible.
If you want a printer which produces great text AND great photos then you will need to spend more and look at other models. But this printer is great for what it was designed for. Happy I got just the features I want for a great price.
Have not had the printer long so can't comment on reliability,etc, but initial impression I have of it is very positive.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 May 2014
I previously had a brother laser printer and so, short on space I went for this when my old one gave up the ghost after many years faithful service.

Firstly, it is just as neat and compact as my old one (HL2030). Setup and installation couldn't be easier and I was up and printing in no time at all. The supplied toner is as one could imagine just a partial fill to get you started. I have always used the Inkrite replacement as they are a third of the cost and always given me comparable quality. On that subject prints are perfectly fine for my needs.

Start-up to print seems quite quick to me but not as fast as the official claims. This makes no difference to me as in the house I'm in no rush. Now the real star here, full mechanical auto duplex. This works superbly and given the size and price of the printer, it makes this model exceptionally good value (I had it for under eighty notes).

Overall a fantastic budget work horse that punches well above it's weight. Could not be happier with this printer.
on 25 August 2014
Bought this last week and just installed it today. The printer itself seems fine at this early stage but the installation was difficult. Set up the printer, placed the CD ROM in the drive, abrupt message: "no software for this computer" and the process stops dead with no further help, guidance or advice. I am using a current model iMac less than six months old with up to date OS X etc. so what is the problem? Brand new printer out of the box does not work with current model computer -- what's that about??

Fortunately Apple provide a printer installation service through System Preferences which is pretty straightforward so I got it working. But it can only load a generic driver not the specific Brother driver for the printer (assuming one even exists). Consequently I cannot do things like check supply levels or change settings. And how would someone less computer literate even get this far? Rubbish! Try searching the web site for help -- more rubbish!
on 1 March 2013
This was purchased as I wanted a laser to replace an old centronix lead laser printer with a network device; I also wanted the duplex function. I was encouraged by the 'cheaper' toner that was available. I am still using the original toner and print mostly music so clarity is essential. After an initial difficulty setting up, a bit a patience is useful, I can print from any computer; the prints appear quickly and of good quality. In standby mode it is silent and I leave it on all the time. I am well pleased with it so far, not having used the duplex function yet or changed the toner cartridge. Bought an 'end table' from Argos to put it on, which is the right height with space underneath for some paper and toner. I have recommended the white one to a lady as she does not need the 'DN' functions as I do.
3 people found this helpful
on 7 March 2014
I was getting fed up with the cost of ink jet cartridges which are a total rip-off and so although there was nothing wrong with my old printer, once it ran out again I decided to change to a laser printer. Surprisingly this network and duplex version was cheaper than the 'USB and single-side only' one, and yet it was still only £60, and it works fine with my Macs (on OS X 10.6.8). I know the initial toner cartridge is only part full, but I don't do a vast amount of printing so after 6 months it is still going well. It prints well, has a large draw at the base for paper and takes up little room. It warms up quickly, is fairly quiet, has a small flap at the front for feeding envelopes or single sheets, and another flap at the rear that you can open to give a straight through feed for things you don't want to bend. I haven't tried the duplex yet as it is not something I use very often, so I can't comment on that. Overall a good mono laser pinter that does what it says.
on 27 March 2014
I cannot believe the quality of this printer. It costs double a similar Samsung printer but there is no comparison, this beats it by a mile. Excellent paper feed, still not had a jam after 1000 pages! Initial toner lasts way longer than 500 pages and you can keep printing even after you get the warning signs.

compatible toners are cheap and work without warnings. This is rare in the budget printer world! Also the footprint is the actual printer, it doesn't have trays hanging out of the back that means it doesn't quite fit on your desk ,etc.

And auto-duplex is awesome, I use it about 30% of the time and so that has got to save me money, ok a not a lot but just watching the action of the printer is worth it alone.

Lets hope this printer lasts a couple of years - if I only get a handful of paper jams in that time then it will have been worth my time in costs alone.
on 21 July 2014
This is a good printer, and I have been using it for a few weeks now.

Unfortunately, it has some issues regarding errors, and it took me forever to figure out that I had a paper jam in the duplex unit, and how to fix it. I had to head to the internet to get a solution for that - even though once I figured it out, I did facepalm! However, it does seem that this is a common problem.

I have had another issue, however, and this is that I had to reset the toner indicator following replacing the toner, because the printer refused to register that I had replaced the toner. Another trip to the internet resolved this for me, and the soltuon is below for those who have the same issue.

This is a good printer, but hardly intuitive for the novice who hasn't had experience with laser printers before. The toner replacement issue is annoying, and the fact that there is a FAQ on the internet implies that is a common issue. the same goes for the paper jam in the duplex unit. As such, I cannot rate it at 5 stars, even though the quality of the printer itself is very good.
3 people found this helpful
on 11 June 2014
Had this for about 4 weeks now and I really like it.
It's the first laser I've had at home and it's so neat to have the paper stored in the cassette rather than hanging out of the top like the old ink jet used to.
I switch it on, press print and get a crystal clear print quickly and quietly. Double sided "duplex" printing is a neat feature. The test sheet is printed like this. It caught me off guard when the page came out and them was promptly sucked back in (luckily before I could grab it and ruin everything) only to reappear again with both sides printed. Ahh, technology :D

I have heard some reviews mention that there is not a full toner cartridge in this printer when you buy it but I haven't used it enough to confirm that yet. It will still be cheaper than Ink jet ink in the long run...