on 22 February 2012
I bought this printer after carefully looking at reviews for similar laser printers. For a network ready printer with a print speed of over 20 pages per minute and with an auto duplexer, there was nothing else that came close in the price range.

Installation of the printer was very simple. Unlike other reviewers, I had no problem setting it up on the network. In fact it was as simple as connecting the network cable to my router and installing the driver software on my laptop. The software proceeded to find the printer, and a few minutes later I was printing fine. I have added the printer on two Windows 7 laptops and a Windows XP PC, and all are able to print over the network with no problems. There are also Linux and Mac drivers on the Brother website, although I have not tried these. Just to be very clear, this printer only supports wired networks as it does not have built in wifi. However you could, for instance, connect it to a powerline network using the appropriate powerline product.

As others have noted, the printer is fairly noisy when printing, although not particularly louder than other laser printers I have used, and certainly not something that I find to be a problem. When printing, the printer uses up to around 500W of power, but after a few minutes it goes to sleep. In sleep mode, it uses less than 1W of power (0.6W according to my power meter) and is completely silent. As soon as someone prints over the network, it automatically wakes up from sleep mode and begins printing.

The "starter" toner cartridge that the printer is supplied with has enough toner for 700 sheets according to the manual (I can't verify this as mine hasn't run out yet). There are two replacement cartridges available - TN 2210 has enough toner for 1,200 sheets and TN 2220 has enough for 2,600 sheets. The latter high yield cartridge is available online for around £50, so cartridges are not the cheapest of any laser printer, but also far from the most expensive. There is a separate drum which apparently has to be changed after around 12,000 pages and costs about £60 online. As with nearly all printers, it is not supplied with a cable, so you will need to buy either a USB or LAN cable, depending on how you intend to use it.

Finally, it's worth noting that at the time of writing there is a free three year warranty promotion on Brother's website, which is valid until the end of March 2012. It is worth checking the latest promotions on the Brother website to see what promotions are available and to obtain the promotion code you will need when registering the product.

All in all, I am very happy with this printer, which was a bargain for the price.
99 Comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 February 2012
I've had this printer for over a year now after having had Brother lasers before which have lasted for years.

For one thing, I like that Brother consumables are fairly cheap compared to other printer makes - this is because you don't have to buy a whole drum and toner unit every time, as with most HPs I've used, but you just have to replace the toner cartridge, and a new drum much less frequently. I have also used compatible toner and the brand I used works well too.

The printer software is also great - many options for duplex (which works very well), or printing 2 (or more) pages to a single sheet of paper etc.

I've been so impressed with this printer (and Brother over the years), that I also bought this printer for a friend, replacing their Canon inkjet, and they love it too, especially the duplex, the printing two sheets to one sheet (for booklets) and also the speed.

Another great Brother printer!
33 Comments| 28 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 April 2013
Just got this today. Ive had a scanner all in one before which is handy with it various multi function abilities but the printing aspect was a pain for someone who prints a lot of text. If like me you are a student then you may find the duplex/double sided printing to be very convenient with this number. With the scanner which was also a brother it was a pain to take out the even printed sheets and put them in upside down. No problems with this at all. It isn't as noisy as Ive read - there is a fan that sounds off for a couple of minutes but it is not abrasive to ones ear. It turns itself off anyway and is hardly noticeable. The print speed is ok (see the specs) I would say follow the guide lines when setting up - it is very easy to follow. It recommends using a shorter than 2m USB cable which I assume insures a quicker print time response. The fact that the paper is produced from the top means that the spatial footprint is minimized. It is black and white only. That said I highly recommend this product.
on 3 November 2012
Just received this printer so my review is based on that of someone who's only setup the printer and performed a few basic print tests. I will update this review once I've had a chance to use the printer some more.

My first impressions are this is a great little printer and generally looks to be worth its price.

I hooked it up to my network using standard RJ45 network cable (not supplied) where it automatically got a DHCP IP address from my router. The printer has its own web page for overall management so I browsed to it from my web browser but didn't need to do anything else other than set the admin password to something other than the default "access" that it ships with.

I added the printer into my Win7 x64 PC without trouble. It was detected as a network printer automatically. It is worth noting that I did not use the provided CD as I didn't want to install anything other than the basic print driver. Windows 7 did not have this printer listed in its driver database, so I had to download it from the Brother website. This was easy to find via Google and once I had the driver downloaded and extracted, I was able to point the add printer wizard to the location whereby it added the printer successfully and I was able to perform test prints from various applications.

My printer shipped with Firmware version 1.15. As of Oct 29th, there is a new version 1.16 available. The log of changes is small and mainly corrects two issues for Windows 8, but there are also a two changes which correct more general issues: "Improvement to the operation of an internal sensor." & "Correction for the page orientation not being stored in memory once the machine is switched off." I felt it wise to update to the latest version, which was quite straightforward and required only a single download from the Brother support site which then lead me through the update process with barely more than a couple of mouse clicks.

Based on other reviews, I imagine the included cartridge is a "starter" type, but as someone who only prints occasionally, this will do me just fine for now. The printer is also currently reporting drum life is 99% with 11990 pages life remaining.

All things considered, I'm happy so far with the purchase.
on 16 August 2015
Good little printer.
on 9 January 2013
Bought this printer as a replacement for my old HP LaserJet 6L. It seems to do the job well although it is noisier than my old one. However, this was a very good price and the duplex capabilty and the networking facility makes this an excellent purchase.
on 12 October 2013
Arrived dead on the promised delivery in good order & very satisfied. Would recommend to others.
on 3 May 2017
good
on 3 December 2012
It is quite well made, and prints OK and quite quickly, and has a handy full-duplex built in.
The gears are a bit noisy when printing, but it was ridiculously cheap for what it does.
on 12 July 2012
I spent a lot of time searching for a reasonably priced duplex laser printer for my small business and came across this - It's a neat and unobtrusive unit which fits well in my small office. Connectivity and setup on my network was a very easy process and My Mac Pro installed all necessary drivers on the fly.

Overall, I would highly recommend this printer, it's an absolute bargain at this price!

Pros -
Easy Setup Mac & PC
Neat and Unobtrusive
Duplex, Ethernet & USB

Cons -
Curls 80g paper a little
Quite Noisy (even for a for a short while after a print run)
Half toner cartridge supplied