on 25 February 2011
I bought this for my Mum who is 80. She loves it and hadn't had a scanner before and it's very user friendly. She's scanning everything and then emailing me the results. It has stopped her obsesssion of hoarding newspaper cuttings to show people! Photographs are very good as in the general quality of scans.
on 9 July 2012
Simple and straighforward to install and use. The ability to scan to PDF was a major reason I purchased this model and appears to be effective allowing me to produce searchable on-line copies of old manuals I need to refer to.
on 13 October 2012
Nice scanner, works from windows scan, but the Epson software does not work and the documentation supplied is very poor too.
Although I installed the Epson driver software as instructed in the instructions before connecting the scanner, it does not work. Scanner hangs, with green light flashing. Cannot even turn it off. Looking on the Epson site for updated drivers, there seem to be 3 all released in the last month which ought to work on Windows 7 64 bit. That's a lot of releases, with no explanations of the differences. But they don't work either. So I have a nice scanner with buttons on that don't work.

Update: I did a web chat with Epson support and they sent me new drivers (release 3.9.2.1) and lo! most of it works now. So up to 3 stars. Still not very impressed - not as if Windows 7 64 bit is a rare (or even that new now) operating system ...

Update update: and then it stopped working again. Support told me to go into windows folder (scary) and check and delete lots of obscure files put there by epson. I used to work in IT and can also read instructions (not bad but some I had to interpolate as they were not all correct of course), but normal humans should not be asked to do things like this. So 2 stars - Epson support responsive; what they ask you to do risky. They do make nice watches though; shame they branched out.

It's stopped working again. Heap of rubbish. Support are very polite but useless.
on 7 August 2012
The scanner does everyting it claimed. Easy to use there was no problem with the set up. It is a pitty though that it does not have the facility to scan older style negatives.
on 11 May 2012
Like a lot of others having got Windows 7 64 bit my old Xerox 2400 scanner no longer worked.
This one is a lot flimsier the lid seems very thin and its a bit bigger.
Easy to install but there are several add-on programmes which might or might not be useful.
All I really want is to copy or scan letters and this seems adequate for that.
You can either use the copy programme or use the button on the scanner.
It will also scan items into a pdf file and you can also use it straight to email but I havent tried them yet.
Although you can have it on full auto scan there are several others modes if you like to play with resolution etc.
I did find that by default it saves as a jpeg file straight into my pictures so it took me a little while to find where it had gone. This can easily be changed though.
There is another programme to open the scanned item so that you can alter the text but I havent tried that out yet.

I must say that having to open different programmes to do different things is a bit of a pain as I was used to Paperport that had it all on the same programme but thats a minor drawback.

All in all a good scanner and easy to use but has potential for more ambitious users.
on 30 March 2012
I decided to scan in my photo collection - well over 2000 photos of various types - old black and white pictures through to colour prints and decided to take a punt on this scanner. What I was after was a reliable scanner I could setup so I could just push a button on the scanner and let the scanner save the pictures to a network share via a PC.

The Epson V33 is doing just that, and also scans in multiple pictures and saves them as separate files. Good quality, nice and fast - I am flying through them.

The only problem was that on Windows 7, the scan button kept prompting me to choose an action on the PC, rather than just scanning automatically. This little help I found sorted it for me (sorry, can't find the original page to give appropriate credit too):

Re: Scan Button Event

Here's what I had to do in Vista, step by step.
1. Click on the Start button, go to Programs, then Accessories.
2. RIGHT click on Command Prompt, and choose "Run as Administrator".
3. Click Continue when Windows asks for permission.
4. In the Command Prompt Window, type "regedit" (without the quotes). The explorer-like Registry editor will open.
5. Navigate down the tree as follows:
A. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
B. SYSTEM
C. CurrentControlSet
D. Control
E. Class
6. This is the tricky part. There are a bunch of entries (keys) with seeming random numbers. Click down through them to find one whose first line on the right hand side of the window says "Imaging devices". This should be the key for your printer/scanner.
7. When you open this key there may be one or more subkeys that look something like "0000", "0001", "0002", etc. Click on each of these and look at the right hand part of the window to see which one displays your printer/scanner name.
8. When you find the correct one, open it and choose the key "Events".
9. In my case there were three button events, the right hand pane of "Button0" was "Scan Button". That's the one that needs it's permissions changed.
10. Right click on "Button0" (or whatever your's says) and choose "Permissions".
11. Click on "Add" and type in "Local Service" in the window, then click "OK".
12. Click on the line in the upper window that says "LOCAL SERVICE" and click the "Allow" "Full Contro" checkbox in the lower window.
13. Finally, click "OK" and close all the windows.
14. Whew! Take a break and congratulate yourself on a job well done!
on 11 March 2013
Sadly I needed to give away my previously trusted scanner when I upgraded to Windows 7 as no suitable drivers were available. I chose this because of the price and the functionality, especially because I use it mainly for scanning multi-page documents. The only disappointment I have is that it isn't very user-friendly. Because I don't do the same tasks often enough for them to become automatic, I find myself having to look up the manual almost every time I need to do something, and even then the results aren't always as expected. It's also quite irritating that you can't (it seems) choose the file name and destination before saving, with documents being given an automatic numbered name and being sent direct to 'my pictures'. But apart from these problems, it works well and is good value for money. It gets full marks for being multi-functional at this price.
on 28 June 2012
very good scanner which fires up super fast due to using LED's - really good build quality, software simple to use too! A1 customer service from George & Freddie combined with this item makes me a very happy buyer :)
on 21 February 2012
I had to change my computer and upgrade to Windows 7, My 10 year old Scanner Epson 610 of 10 years had no new drivers compactable with this new computer, which made my beloved scanner redundant.

I design 3D greetings cards which can be 5 layers high, and scan them to show them on the internet. My old scanner could keep the background and foreground completely in focus. I have tried other brand scanners but the background was blurred and not as clear. I decided to purchase this new Epson Perfection V33 expecting it to give the same quality, but again the background is not clear, and I am disappointed as the Epson Perfection V33 is not as good as my old scanner.
33 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 November 2013
I bought the V33 for the combination of advertised scan quality, OS X support and at a reasonable price. Although the control software is not the best, it was ok for my needs, and I was happy with the quality of the scanned images. However, yesterday, after 3 years (almost to the day) of *very* occasional use, its power LED is flashing orange/red, which the Epson website says means "the scanner may be malfunctioning, or the scanner light source may need to be replaced". So, I'm very unimpressed at the lifetime of this scanner; I'd've expected it to last much longer than it has.