Customer reviews

They Also Serve (Follies Book 2)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

VINE VOICEon 9 April 2017
They Also Serve written by Hilary Green was another wonderful read by Hilary Green and fabulously narrated by Hilary Neville. I have already read the book as well as the other three books in this fabulous series, a few years ago and loved each book so much I decided to return to them once again via Audible. I am so glad I did as once again I was transported back to the Second World War and visit the friends who previously met while entertaining in the Follies are now using their skills to help defeat Hitler.
Rose, Richard, Merry and Felix each have their own story to tell and what a story they have, through them the true war was seen and how those who served through this time in history really give up everything for their country, and through them I was able to see how life has changed and true patriotism truly was back then.
Rose's story was so hard to read as she suffered under those who should have been thankful to her but instead treated her with nothing but hardship. Merry and Felix are still in love but soon the war is going to part them once again and for Richard his story was heartbreaking yet his bravery shone throughout.
If you have any interest in the S.O.E. and the Second World War I would highly recommend the full series as it is so well written as Hilary Green certainly knows how to keep her readers connected to the storyline as well as each wonderful character which filled the pages.
They Also Serve written by Hilary Green is one brilliant read which laced historical fact through a work of fiction and I would happily recommend it to other readers. I would recommend you would read the full series as each book cleverly rolled into each other and each character's own story was told throughout the full series of four books.
The following is the full series in numerical order and should be read in this order.
1. Now is the Hour (Follies Book 1)
2. They Also Serve (Follies Book 2)
3. Theatre of War (Follies Book 3)
4. The Final Act (Follies Book 4)
on 16 March 2017
very good read - started with the first one in the series and then had to buy the others. Fabulous and also a great history lesson too. My dad was in the army and also served during WW2 - he was in the Royal Signals. Some of the stories that he told us brought back memories of him. They weren't always happy ones but that was wartime and people just got on with it.
on 13 December 2014
I picked up this book because it looked interesting, put I picked up book 2 instead book 1 and that was a mistake. While it was hard to understand what was going, the characters were interesting and the storyline was good.
VINE VOICEon 23 November 2012
I chose this because it was set during ww2 and thought it might be worth a read as it covered more than just people in the service. Have to say I really enjoyed it - the characters are all very likeable and the settings are all very realistic - if you like this kind of subject matter and enjoy a light read this is well worth picking up
on 24 October 2016
Excellent in every way delighted with it! Had a hard copy but needed a Kindle version!
on 17 October 2017
Received in good condition
on 9 January 2016
I have read the whole series of four books twice and have enjoyed them so much I would not hesitate to read them
again and again. Well done Hilary Green.
on 19 July 2010
I have always felt "at home" with books placed in the war period. These characters are exceptionally life-like and it is a pleasure to read about them. Unfortunately part 3 is unavailable so I have not read part four as I don't want to lose the thrill by jumping over one book.
on 10 September 2016
Great.
on 11 April 2009
A thoroughly good read, a nice mix of the entertainment side of the forces and the resistance movement in France. The second in a series of four, and just as good as the first one. Seems good on accuracy as well.