on 11 December 2013
I have also reviewed the Moon GEM 2.0 Front Light and this product is basically the same, but with a red light and red lens (unlike the image shown). The downside of that is that the mount isn't ideal for rear-facing mounting. After experimenting a bit with mounting it under the seat or on the seatpost, I eventually resorted to mounting it on the seatstay just above the mounting bracket, so that it can't slip down. It seems reasonably secure there, but needs twisting to make sure it's pointing at the competition, ahem..., other commuters.

USB charging is great and the light is plenty bright enough for a rear light. The modes are: normal brightness, bright, crazy-fast-blink, normal blink.
3 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2015
This is an incredibly small and light red light for your bike. Noting that the image show is (wrongly) a white light, This mounts easily on my cycle helmet aiming backwards, with the fixing being strong by stretchy rubber material that is fiddly when stretching around the vents on an helmet, but only takes a minute or so. I would expect you could fit this to any helmet or bike. The size of the light is about the same as a small matchbox, so really tiny.

The light is incredibly bright and has different light patterns, including flashing lights. I'd say it is easily visible from a few hundred metres away by any passing car.

Usefully, the light charges via USB in only a couple of hours. Once charged, the light (on flash) operates for at least 6 hours (my longest ride), and I would be surprised if it didn't last 8 hours or more between charges. Charging is done via a mini-USB rather than that micro-USB we tend to see on recent smartphones.

Fitment to a bike is very easy, and once fixed it wont move or fall off. Note, however, if you fix this to your seat post it the LEDs will be vertical, i.e rotated by 90 degrees from the image displayed. I've ridden with the bike in the rain, and it's not affected the working of the light or later charging. The USB connector for charging is covered by the rubber cover, and this fits well to protect against water ingress.

In summary, an excellent light that is very small, easy to fit and swap between bikes, and is rechargeable via USB. Well recommended, as a main rear light or as a emergency backup.
on 17 July 2014
Repeat of my front light review. Great little rear light. Teeny tiny - about the size of a matchbox but well built partially metal chasis. Very bright and rechargable by USB port on computer (lead supplied) or a USB adaptor if you have one. You stretch the strap to attach and remove so easy to put on - and no more cracked mountings (I must have bought 4 or 5 of the AA type front lights with the slide on mounting and they keep breaking!) This rubber strap looks a MUCH better idea - I think this will last a long time. Nice and bright with a quick or slow flashing mode. No idea of battrery charge life yet - but it did keep its charge for a few days until I needed it and it was still bright as it was when just charged. Seems a great purchase, worth spending that little bit extra on. Rear light is identical to front, just red!
on 28 September 2011
I got a pair (front and rear) of these lights and was a bit dubious when they arrived because they're so small and light. Once I switched them on all doubts evaporated. They're REALLY BRIGHT! The fixing rubber straps are fantastic. You can attach these anywhere on the bike and they won't slip or fall off, even on bumpy terrain (a problem I've had 3 times now with click-lock lights). The light also rotates on the strap for fine angle adjustment. I have a lot of cables cluttering the handle bars on my bike, so it was great to be able to hang this upside down under the bars. I've tried these out in full darkness on a busy main road and they're just as bright and effective as any light I've had before. They also stand up well to extremely wet conditions unlike some lights I've had before. They recharge by way of a small rubber flip-plug USB port at the rear.

If you're looking for bright, small, lightweight, water resistant rechargeable lights that won't slip or fall off, at a very good price, then I can't recommend these highly enough. Excellent value for money.
9 people found this helpful
on 13 October 2011
I did the same mistake of someone else, buying this item looking at the photo, which showed a bright/clear light, and not reading properly the title: "Recharge rear light".

Anyway, I needed both so I kept it and I am happy with it. It's particularly good if you own more than one bike and from time to time you need to use the other one, you don't need any kind of mount installed on both.

As a rear light it seems to be quite good, I cycle in city roads, but I *guess* as rear light it would be good on country roads as well.

I'm only worried about how long the rubber band will last, if I plug and unplug it everyday even during the winter.
It seems to be quite good, though.
Also the band has several holes, but I'm not sure how people are supposed to use any hole but the last one (larger) on a frame.

Still need to test the battery life, starting using it now as days get shorter.
Also not tried under rainy situations.
2 people found this helpful
on 22 October 2014
Much brighter than the Moon Gem 1.0 (3 LEDs vs 1) and not much more expensive, can be partially seen from the side and are actually bright enough to light up the road a bit. They are quite chunky and could ruin the asthestic of your bike though if you are bothered about that sort of thing!
on 25 November 2014
These lights were a lot smaller than I had anticipated, but are very bright. Long run time, have them on during the day also, quick USB charging system.
Unfortunately one has stopped working after 2 outings?! Amazon are sending out an direct replacement, with me to return the faulty one within 30 days (free postage), which is an excellent service.
on 14 January 2013
this a fantastic very bright light with diffrant settings and you can see me for quite a way ive been told by friends they too said it was brill for such a small light its also good in poor conditions ie fog i still can be seen as this little light has a fog setting and best bit is it keeps its charge for ages and does not come off even in rough roads and other uneven ground and fandabydozy to attach and take off and small enough to not take too much space up in your pocket.......BRILLAIANT
VINE VOICEon 11 December 2013
Needed a good quality but small and lightweight bike light that would fit into a coat pocket or rucksack while at work. This fitted the bill. Charges via USB. Fits easily to bike in pretty much any position using a rubber strap. Very bright.
on 4 October 2014
Good light from such a small unit, beam not good enough to see by, so use a flashing attention gatherer on the road. The clasp is very quick to engage and remove, comes charged so have not needed to recharge yet. Picture shows front light, rear light exactly the same but has red led.