Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 13 January 2016
Very enjoyable read. Never discovered her before a mention from a friend. Like the use of the word 'tired' and strained, instead of 'stressed out' that we all use today. A very mature, calm and real voice in the narrator. I will be buying the rest of this series.
on 10 June 2017
Condition as expected
on 2 August 2015
Bought for my mother in law and unable to comment
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 December 2015
This is the second in the ever popular Miss Read books. This book is written as a diary by Miss Read & follows through a full year in the life of the author & the school. This is a nice idea as you get a full year of children's events, village life & the changing countryside.

This is a book with many humorous moments. The description of middle aged women dressing as Ancient Britons in a pagent bought a smile to my face. Many of the children's comments & actions are amusing. It isn't rip roaringly funny but definitely light-hearted & amusing. I very much enjoy Miss Read's descriptions of the changing countryside though once or twice I felt that this was more lengthy than I would have preferred.

The characters in this book are as wonderful as always. Mrs Pringle with her bad leg that flares up when she is annoyed, Mrs Partridge with her truely wonderful diplomatic skills and the new "know-it-all" teacher Miss Jackson, to name but a few. I know that I have met people like these in various guises throughout life.

This is a gentle but entertaining book that ambles it's way through the year in a most pleasing manner. I can heartily recommend the Miss Read books particularly for those who enjoy Gervase Phinn & Rebecca Shaw.
VINE VOICEon 14 January 2003
An absolutely gorgeous book.I have a special interest in this one as it came out just as I was starting at a village school just like the one Miss Read writes about,and my mother used to listen to it serialised on the radio while waiting for me to come home.
It follows on from Village School and is set out like a diary written by Miss Read the schoolmistress.Each month has a delightful illustration by J S Goodall.I love this book,and I hope you will too.
on 14 December 2009
Miss Read writes beautifully, bringing her books to life. I found this book very relaxing to read, well written, with humour as well. I'll definitely be reading all the rest of the books in the Fairacre series.
on 11 January 2010
Not as good as Book 1. but satisfactory. These books are v.g. for old fashioned oldies like me. Remembering a sweet, warm, gentle world that in the main did not exist. Well not for me and mine living in bleak 1940's/50's North Manchester. Leave your back door open? Nonsense! Even though we had nowt they would still steal it. Cold winters with only a coal fire to warm us and all of us crammed round it with burnt legs and the cat safely purring right at the front. And cockroaches in the cutlery draw.

But perhaps these books give a flavour of life and schooling in the countryside that we townies can only envy? As such they are lovely and you grow to like some characters and hiss at others. And it seems there are many more books in the series to enjoy. I do love a good long series. Recommended if you like sweet nostagia - and not a swear word to see!
on 26 February 2014
Gentle but never soft hearted. Compelling but always contains a grain of harder truth, Miss. Read serves up another helping of home spun wisdom from the primary classroom in her home village. Such gentle reading is so very timely in such a tough world.
on 28 June 2013
I found this book hard going at times. It was not as readable as "A Peaceful Retirement" There were parts which I really enjoyed but it seemed to be that the author was going off on tangents. It reminded me of waves the going out and the coming in.
on 17 August 2014
Miss Read's books have been my constant companions for many years and are read and re-read. This one is a replacement for one worn out by constant use. They are a joy and delight and I recommend every single one.