Top critical review
15 people found this helpful
Well thought-out bag, but crippled by its build quality
on 28 October 2014
Unfortunately I would have to recommend against buying this product. Despite the large number of positives there is one overwhelming negative that makes the bag essentially useless.
First, the good:
- Very competitively priced. The pannier bag market seems to be flooded with expensive bags that don't do much to justify their high price. This is a much cheaper product. Unfortunately it does seem like this has come with a cost, more on that later.
- A lot of room. There really is a lot of space in this bag, and the compartments are practically sized and useful.
- Hi-vis waterproof cover that stows away in top compartment.
- The clips with which the bag is fastened to the rack are very well designed. Very adjustable for different types of rack, very easy to clip on and remove once you figure out the knack (in most cases, the clips can be pushed straight onto the bars of the rack without having to manually open them – it just slots in).
And the bad:
- Not very easy to carry when not attached to the bike.
- Most importantly, the build quality of these is very cheap around the seams. My first bag had the seam of the top compartment (where the hi-vis cover is stored) fall apart within the first week, and thus anything put in there would fall out onto the road. I returned this one for a replacement from Amazon that seemed fine, but after one day the seam around the main compartment had similarly come apart, so the bag can no longer be properly shut with the draw-string.
It's very unfortunate because in all other respects it's a nicely designed pannier priced very fairly. But that counts for nothing if you can't rely on it not to fall apart and spill your contents over the road.