Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.99

on 29 June 2017
Excellent- totally fulfilled my expectations
on 4 November 1999
This album is brimming with famous names singing songs you are probably at least vaguely aware of; you just didn't associate some of those singers with those sort of songs before. Chris DeBurgh's rendition of 'Do what you do' is one of the most romantic and sentimental tracks of the decade. The sheer power of Lisa Stansfield's 'They can't take that away from me' or Cher's 'It Aint Necessarily So' might even make you want to buy a better stereo, but the best is yet to come! Kate Bush singing 'The Man I love', Meatloaf singing 'Somebody Loves Me', and Courtney Pine singing 'Summertime'. On some of the tracks you instantly recognise the singer because of their distinctive voice e.g. Elvis Costello, but others are so far out of their usual context you will end up looking at the sleeve to see who it is. The quality of sound recording is absolutely tip-top as you would expect of 1994 professional studio recordings. It follows that combined with the extraordinary artistic talents involved (both singers and musicians), this may well be the ultimate Gershwin recording. I wasn't a Gershwin fan at all until I heard it. Someone nicked my first copy - so I'm ordering another one.
on 28 June 2004
If you love Gershwin you'll love this. The most unexpected people singing some glorious songs, I love Meatloaf, but never thought I would hear my favourite singer singing my favourite composer. Sinead O'Connor, Elvis Costello the list goes on. The songs are classics & the singers do them justice. If you don't have any Gershwin CDs get this one.
on 16 September 2007
This album is extremely enjoyable and contains some of the greatest music and best loved songs of the 20th Century. These are fine sensitive performances by well known artists. I can't add anything to the previous reviews except my endorsement - highly recommended, nuff said.
on 6 May 2010
This is an interesting recording which was made to celebrate the 80th birthday of Larry Adler. It features many well-known contemporary artistes singing Gershwin classics - material which they would not normally be associated with. You will hear Elvis Costello, Kate Bush and Cher in a way you've never heard them before! And the disc is really nice to listen to. You'll be very pleasantly surprised!
on 14 December 2012
The performers and the selection is absolutely wonderful. You just know that every one of them is enjoying the experience of mixing with Larry Adler. Not to be missed.
on 21 July 2016
The Glory of Gershwin / Larry Adler’s 80th
*****

There are some very iconic artists singing ‘Gershwin’ on here, all ably backed by Larry Adler’s harmonica solos. This is a great cd, so many artists performing in a way that you’ve never heard them before. And the quality is excellent I have to say. I was very impressed with most of these tracks and felt that Cher, Sinead O’Conner, Meatloaf & Issy Van Randwyck excelled themselves.
As I say, most make a really good job of it and enhance their standing as very rounded artists … but my God … Peter Gabriel’s rendition of Summertime Is by far the worst that I’ve ever heard. It’s vocally quite horrendous. He must have been as high as a kite when he sang this. What in God’s earth made the producers of this album allow this on here? One of the most beautiful songs ever – totally massacred. Aside from that it’s great and possibly the best Gershwin album I’ve got!
on 12 January 2015
This replaces a cassette that I bought on its release some years ago (from a Virgin Megastore). It may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it certainly displays the stars' abilities when performing what imagine was outside their comfort zones.
on 13 July 2009
Wonderful compilation of tracks to celebrate his 80th birthday by Larry
Adler and friends including Jon Bon Jovi, Cher, Elton John, Meat Loaf,
Courtney Pine, Sting and many more. Everyone wanted to be part of this
tribute; produced by the incomparable George Martin.
I had worn out my tape copy so was thrilled to receive the CD from
Amazon so promptly.
on 30 July 2016
Richard, July 2011, reviewed this album, and I wish I had read his review before I placed my order. I think 'boring' sums up what he thought, along with 'I could take it or leave it' - a perfect review, in my opinion (but I'd probably be a bit more harsh). I haven't heard it through yet - I might never - and so far I think I'm likely to leave it, probably on a bus or in a bar where someone who has tastes different from mine might find it and like it.
Doesn't mean it's bad, just that it's not for me.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse