on 8 October 2011
I have been using blackberry mobiles for the last 2 years (first bold 9700 and then bold 9790)

Positives:
- incredibly fast email service
- qwerty keyboard is wonderful for typing
- easy to place a phone call just by pressing the traditional green button
- good quality media player/great sound quality
- bkackberry messenger

Negatives:
- very slow in general (web browsing, installing apps, finding apps on app world)
- freezes quite often
- everytime you delete an app you have to re-start the device and it takes ages to do so!
- web browsing can be very frustrating as it is too slow and more often than it should there's a message that says 'requested server not found' and the website just doesn't upload
- handsfree that comes with bold models is bulky and looks very old fashioned
- I have to charge it everyday if I use the blackberry messenger, even if I don't make any calls and only send a few text messages

I hope people find this useful.
8 people found this helpful
on 17 July 2011
Stepping up from just a plain mobile phone. I wanted a device I could send/receive emails, browse the internet and wasn't too big in my pocket. The Blackberry Bold 9780 fitted the bill.

If like me your not up to speed with what these smart phones have to offer don't worry, after playing for a couple of hours all becomes clear and you'll find yourself customising your new toy to your liking. The camera and movie feature are particularly good on this model.
My Orange account and technical setting had to be updated to work with the Blackberry and not feeling confident with doing it online I visited a local Orange shop and got it all sorted out painlessly. A few updates and text messages later I was up and running and able to enjoy the phone to its full potential.

Having the phone for over a month I'm very pleased and it fulfils my needs. The only criticism as with all these smart phones is the battery life. Moderate use will need a charge every 2 days; I charge it every night to be on safe side.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 1 May 2011
I bought the 9780 about a month ago. I am a newcomer to the world of smartphones, and I have no brand bias.

My initial verdict: 3 stars. My verdict now, after another month or so of heavy use: 4 stars! I initially did not like the keyboard, but I got used to it.

The pros:
1. Very long battery life.
2. Excellent e-mail functionality.
3. Well thought through menu structure, very easy to use.
4. Surprisingly compact.
5. Good built quality.

The cons:
1. Average call quality - I expect more from a top spec business tool.
2. Browsing: Apple and Android do a far better job.

My advice: go for a cheap BB IF you are only after the e-mail functionality and go for an Android if you really care about browsing.
4 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2011
I am new to Blackberrys but this phone was easy to set up after I transferred over my existing PAYG SIM card. I liked the fact it came with a phone holder and charging adapters for use in other countries. I also ordered the optional Charging Pod which is very useful.

The phone is very intuitive to set up but I did have a problem with my Service Provider, who initially wouldn't let me use the Blackberry push email services because it was wrongly thought the Phone code was allocated to another network. The support from Amazon did help me get over this problem. As a phone the reception is much better than my previous cheapo phone, which struggled for decent reception in our house. I like the QWERTY keyboard but the keys are somewhat small and I find myself double keying a lot.

I bought a new car with Bluetooth connectivity and extensive business mobile phone capabilities including mapping. The snap in adapter in the car only supported a limited number of phones, including the Bold 9780, so I bought this phone. As an In Car phone the Bold 9880 seamlessly integrates with my car. The snap in adaptor connects to the external car aerial and also charges the phone.

Most of the other reviews have covered how good or otherwise this phone is so I won't repeat the comments. The only issue I have to date is one of my email boxes is on MS Outlook 2010. I haven't totally got to grips with why I keep losing my inbox full of emails on archiving (something to do with IMAP processes?) but I've found a workaround. My other email box is on Outlook 2003 and I have no trouble with that.

In summary a good phone for working on the move but probably not as state of the art as iPhones or the Samsung Galaxy.
on 10 October 2014
I thought I had ordered the white but when I received the phone it was black which was a bit disappointing. I also naturally thought that there would be a charger with it but there was not. Maybe I should have read the listing correctly.

However the phone looks in good condition and is working fine so far.
One person found this helpful
on 27 November 2017
Using it for almost 8 years now. I had to change my battery only once.People are asking me, why I am not switching to touch screen. There are definite reasons. Now that, the mobile networks don't support 3G, time to buy a new phone.Still, I would love carrying it in my office bag.
on 26 June 2012
Do we really need all these functions on phones?

As a business user my priorities are pretty basic; e-mail connectivity, web access, phone usage, portability AND battery life.

Initially, having upgraded from a Bold 9700 to a 9900, I was impressed by the bells and whistles virtues of the 9900; but quickly realised that it had so many battery draining functions that I didn't require, and came to the view that less is often best!

Unfortunately the tendency seems to be for ever bigger bundled default packages. However, these all come at a cost - great if you need/use them, but otherwise often superfluous and in most cases a compromise on performance (battery life)/price.

So, back to the upgraded 9700 - the 9780. Does all I need, and reliably chugs along day after day.
on 17 January 2012
My sister has the exact phone and was raving about it. I didn't want to be tied into a contract to get this phone so took the plunge and treated myself. Having wanted a smart phone for years - I knew that I didn't want a touch screen phone as I am somewhat clumsy. This phone is fantastic as I expanded the memory to 32gb so fingers crossed that I will not need another phone for a few years. Happy happy happy.
on 13 July 2011
I got fed up with my HTC Desire smart phone...it had some nifty functions but ended up annoying me so much I recycled it! I'd got a blackberry for work and soon got used to its efficient functionality and ease of use. So I bought this lovely white smartphone blackberry (whiteberry?) and haven't looked back. Apparently the fad for white electronics is called the 'apple effect'! Dead easy to use and set up, love the sleek look.

OK now all we need is some decent blackberry apps...
on 16 May 2018