Customer reviews

on 14 September 2017
The idea of clones and a yet unknown species had the potential to make an interesting book. However this was a ruse and this book ended up being about raiders and a hollowed out asteroid. Sound familiar!
There is an appearance of two panther type animals which is somewhat bizarre and to use a phrase from the book the rest is a lot of Piffle.
on 18 June 2017
Continuing to be as interesting as the first two books immense opportunities for world building and character developement will continue to purchase this series.
on 12 November 2011
This book, together with the other six books so far published in this series, is a real "page-turner". A Space Opera which openly acknowledges the Hornblower books as an inspiration, although the heroine is more likeable and infallible (perhaps closer to Alexander Kent's Richard Bolitho or Dudley Pope's Ramage).

Set in the 23rd Century, with well thought out explanations for faster-than-light travel and other scientific advances, and gripping descriptions of set piece battles in space, all seven books are thoroughly entertaining.
on 19 November 2013
Keep them coming. I need a fix of the next instalment please. Get writing quicker, please, please! I highly recommend for any sci fi buffs out there
on 22 February 2011
This series of books so reminds me of my trips to the library to collect the next Hornblower books when I was much less old than I am now. They are not masterpieces but are wonderful adventures with some clever plots. My only tiny gripe is the way almost every character has their height mentioned when they are introduced! Looking forward to reading the whole series.
on 13 March 2011
Well I have just finished the second book and bought the third, I can see me finishing all six this month they are such page turners.
As I said in my review of book one, you know she's going to win but the way she does it is what makes you want to keep reading.
The more you read, the more you understand the fictional world that the books inhabit and that makes them more enjoyable from my perspective.
Another enjoyable read that has all the markings of a modern day "cowboys and indians" storey, to lift a simile from the books.
Well done again to the author, I am off to continue the adventure that is Jenetta Carver.
on 25 December 2010
As the third in the series, I felt that the author kept up the pace of the first two books in the stellar career of Jenetta Carver. The description for this book only covers the first two chapters; however, any other description would only provide plot spoilers.
The author has done great work as usual in all engineering and planetary descriptions, keeping up the realistic feel for the world that he's created.
At the back of the book, there are some helpful appendices to help with the large relative distances, the military ranks and the main characters.
In addition, the author makes a point of explaining within the story all references to escapades in the previous books or to engineering ideas that have already been explained. Therefore, if you really wanted, you could read this book as a standalone book (I don't think it would be quite as much fun though).
Off to read the next one in the series!
on 1 June 2011
This book was a little less focuses on moving straight from one battle to the next and instead focuses a bit more on adding some depth and development to the main character.

Initially I thought this book a bit slower that the first two offerings, but as I got into it I found it as thoroughly entertaining.

I think the series needed this pause to add a bit more dimension to Janetta Carver. However being the type of book it is, it is still mainly focused on moving the adventure along at pace than looking deeply into the main characters personality. However, if you are onto book 3, then you know the type of book this is.

Overall I liked it and found it another page turner, so if you liked the first two, although this is a bit different, you will like this.
on 13 May 2012
As Admiral Holt says at one point in the book, Jenetta "needed a little rounding out". Whatever the Admiral meant by that, you'll have to read the book to find out, but DePrima takes pause in this book from the headlong rush from one battle to the next to give us more depth and character development. Nevertheless, after a slow start the action hots up, and we have our fill of raiders, battles, decoys, attacks, assassination attempts, and even more Carvers than you can shake a stick at. The pacing is excellent, and the characters are starting to feel like members of the family.

As with the first two books, my first reaction on finishing was to head straight back to Amazon to download book 4.
on 8 March 2012
I'm an avid reader of Sci Fi and was immediately hooked after reading the first book in the series and ended up rushing at the end of each one to download the next onto my kindle...The books are well written and you engage with the characters well worth the time to read