on 16 June 2017
Very entertaining.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 5 April 2009
..a muc better antho, with several mainstream authors whose names sold this book for me. Of its predecessor, I only read maybe some 6 tales, i.e. the ones I'd bought the book for, but I think I read most of these, or poss all of these, though in slightly less depth than in my bought-for tales. All in all, a good read, a decent price from amazon.co.uk and bargain, we got it here before it came out in the US!!
on 4 June 2009
This is a book containing 24 short, well written stories. Obviously some were better than others, but overall they were all entertaining, sexy and fun to read. I would encourage anyone, lovers of the paranormal genre or not, to read this book and any other mammoth collection, especially mothers, workers etc who can't or don't get the time to read a full novel, because these stories are short and entertaining enough to read fully during your lunch break or whenever you can get a spare 1/2 hour or so.
on 27 December 2009
This is a fantastic anthology for anyone who enjoys paranormal stories, especially paranormal romance. The offerings vary from paranormal to futuristic to fantasy--something for everyone. There are two stories that didn't resonate with me, but the rest I rate as good, very good, or excellent. Because there are so many, I shall mention only my favorites here.

Taking Hold by Anya Bast 4*. Wonderful werewolf romance.
Daniel by C.T Adams and Cathy Clamp 4*. Vampire romance. Great characters.
Light Through Fog by Holly Lisle 4*. Evocative tearjerker. Something a little different to the usual paranormal romance.
The Tuesday Enchantress by Mary Jo Putney 4*. Great characters and we get a glimpse of an interesting world.
Trinity Blue by Eve Silver 5*. I already love Eve Silver's books, but if I hadn't read them yet, this story would make me rush out to buy them.
Grace of Small Magics by Ilona Andrews 5*. Wonderful world building and interesting characters. I haven't read any of Ilona Andrews's full-length books yet, but I have one on my tbr pile that I've just moved to the top.
Pele's Tears by Catherine Mulvany 4*. Loved the setting and the premise.
Pack by Jeaniene Frost 5*. Another one that made me immediately check on Amazon for other books by this author. Great characters.
When Gargoyles Fly by Lori Devoti 5*. Interesting characters--something a little different.
The Lighthouse Keeper and his Wife 4*. Interesting concept. I wanted to give this 5*, but it was the hero who just held me back from doing that.
At Second Bite by Michelle Rowan 4.5*. This is a fairly standard vampire story, but I loved the characters and the author's voice.
In Sheep's Clothing by Maljean Brook 5*. Loved the characters and the setting. This is another author I shall seek out more from
The Dream Catcher by Jennifer Ashley 5*. I loved the concept of this story; it's more fantasy than paranormal. The characters and world building are great and I loved the author's voice. I shall be searching out more by Jennifer Ashley.

I highly recommend this anthology to all lovers of paranormal. It's a great way to discover new authors.
on 16 March 2009
When it says "mammoth" on the cover, it means it! There are a lot of stories in there and I found almost every one of them was hot, sexy and really fun to read. I have read other mammoth collections, but have to say, this is the best one. If you're into paranormal stories, don't pass this one up!!! Another good one: Dead Sexy: Two Tales of Vampire Erotica.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 June 2015
I enjoyed most of the stories in this book and I'm pleased to have read it. Many of the authors are producing novellas in paranormal romance or urban fantasy, so they are skilled in this area already, but you don't need to have read their books to get into their short stories.

I particularly enjoyed: a tale about a lighthouse keeper and his wife, who contend with a murderous sea god; a stone gargoyle who is wonderfully well brought to life for us; a werewolf lady who needs to catch a serial killer of women on the highway, even if it means revealing her true nature to the sheriff who used to love her; a sad tale of a selkie in a research laboratory; and a Hawaiian tale about 'tears' of Pele the volcano goddess.

The few tales which did not grab my attention are on the darker side and anyone who enjoys horror will probably like them. That said there is nothing I would call straight horror. I recommend this book for adult readers due to various kinds of content but quite a few of the stories are fine for young adults. The book would be worth re-reading so I find it great value, and it will introduce readers to many great authors currently producing this kind of material.
on 6 January 2016
Before reading this book I had a nosey at the reviews and recall seeing someone claiming there 'was not enough romance' - well, for the first few there seems to be more smut with paranormal thrown in as a setting and little else. Don't get me wrong, the paranormal element was great, I just wish the author had focused more on that and then had romance as a theme and not the other way around.

Once I got past these few 'oh my god, take me now' stories as I like to call them, I found myself in a world of amazing paranormal writing. Quite a few of these authors have since been added to my 'to read' list although I was sad to find that a lot of these seem to be one off stories. The worlds created for the reader in these short stories are incredible and I wish they had been continued in fully fledged series.

There is something for everyone. There are even some stories in there that when I think of 'paranormal' I might not have considered before - and I was really glad they were included! There's romance of all sorts here, from all ages and situations. I definetly recommend this to fans of the genre.
on 18 April 2013
So to start off with, this is an anthology, so it's rather hard to rate the book as a whole. I bought this purely because there was a Karen Chance story and I'm the type of girl who wants to own everything by their favourite authors.

It was a mix of some really good stories (I particularly enjoyed Zola's Pride by Moira Rogers, The Gauntlet by Karen Chance and The Son's of Ra) and a lot of really average ones. There was the usual paranormal romance cliché of supernatural angst ridden girl meets supernatural angst ridden boy. There were some where they already met. Obviously there were more than a few that were short stories that are spin offs from a main series. (See Karen Chance), the problem was that some of the stories felt like they had a lot more left to say and others seemed what could be an entire novel condensed into a few dozen pages and some that just didn't offer a lot.

However it's nice to be able to read one story and put it back down for the evening. Overall, it's ok, but I wouldn't rate it as the best anthology out there.
on 15 April 2013
I liked the short story type of book and this was very good indeed for this. It was rather surreal at times but most of the stories were good. If you lie an unusual book with different stories this is for you. I read the Mammoth Book of Ghost Love Stories first and bought this becuase I enjoyed that as well. When is the next Mammoth book out soon I hope.
on 10 August 2013
very good selection from a decent range of authors. Most stories had a "tingle" to them. Like any anthology, some stories stand out, some lack lusture, and some i just found plain annoying! However, i have found a couple of new authors worth exploring - so that is always a bonus!