Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle New Album - Paloma Faith Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

Customer reviews

Oh No It's Selwyn Froggit - The Complete Series [DVD]
Format: DVD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 21 April 2017
Bill Maynard is marvellous as well-meaning misfit Selwyn Froggit. His optimism for life, often misplaced or thwarted, is never dimmed as he constantly endeavours to improve his own life and those of other people. Most of his efforts end in disaster, whether it's upside down banners or the annual pensioner's outing ending in a brawl, but Selwyn remains positive through all setbacks. His 'friends' on the committee often play pranks on him which sometimes veer uncomfortably towards spite, but Selwyn always comes out on top through a mix of good-nature and good luck. Other characters, such as Selwyn's trainspotting brother Maurice, his ever patient mother and genial landlord Ray provide another layer of warmth and humour in this easy-going, daft and gentle comedy, and there's the nostalgia factor for anyone who remembers the 70s, too. Great value boxset and very funny.
on 26 July 2015
I remember this series from my younger days and wanted to see if it held up against current comedy. I am pleased to say it mostly does. Bill Maynard obviously enjoyed playing the oafish Selwyn who bulldozed his way through life creating chaos wherever he went. Some of the situations you could see coming a mile off, but watching the disaster as it unfolded is part of the fun. I knocked a star off because of the dated "canned laughter" which I personally find annoying and distracting, how is the "audience" laughing when someone is riding a bike down a street ? It is a pity the false laugh track could not be removed, the technology exists. Apart from that gripe I enjoyed my trip down memory lane.
on 21 February 2017
You either love Selwyn, or you don't. I happen to love him. And, had Roy Clarke decided to stay on as principal writer, this would have been an absolute masterpiece. But, as with many other potential ringers, this vehicle falls short with the dismal writing talents available. So, you may ask, why five stars? Simply put, Bill Maynard offers us a brilliant performance as Selwyn, and consistently tugs at the emotions of the audience, while garnering more than his fair share of laughs. Although the plots and situations may run a bit dry, Maynard somehow brings out the best in the circumstances we all find ourselves in as we watch his exploits. The cast is competent and at times delightful, and some familiar faces will bring at least a smile to anyone who knows them. Not long afterwards, Bill would go on to another role that again would prove his talent, ability, and surprising versatility; that of Fred Moffit of Moffit Engineering, in a very different comedy, "The Gaffer"; Aidensfield and Ashfordly still more than a "heartbeat" away.....
on 26 November 2015
This DVD is magic! Selwyn Froggitt is the hapless council employee trying to improve his lot (and intellect) by reading The Times. It's 70's sitcom, but still relevant today as characters like Selwyn will always be around. Very funny. Great fun, without brain strain from complex plots.
on 8 June 2017
I remember watching this in the 1970s.
I was only a kid when originally broadcast by Granada (ITV)
It was an ok series from what I can remember so I decided to buy this complete collection.
I didn't see every episode originally but I will enjoy this DVD.
It's a shame its not been repeated on TV since the original broadcasts back in the 70s.
Recommended 🙂
on 22 February 2016
This comedy series featuring Bill Maynard is an excellent and very funny series. Even today, I never tire of watching it from when it was first televised. Excellent entertainment and good value for money !!
on 14 February 2017
I loved the cheery, silly, Selwyn, it has a lot of boyish charm, I liked when Selwyn got the better of the other characters. Very late in the series about a rundown holiday camp failed for me, but I am glad to have renewed my fondness for Selwyn.
on 17 June 2017
Oh no! He can't go wrong. Very funny and most enjoyable. I missed it on TV as I was driving taxis on permanent nights. I'm so pleased that I bought the set.
on 15 July 2016
Classic comedy series all together in one small package. Bill Maynard at is best. Very funny and entertaining . Highly recommend.
on 21 April 2017
I remember it well,just as funny now,as it was then.the service was first rate.