on 20 June 2017
This is the first book in the Lake People series. I really enjoyed it.

Anna St. Thais is a character I wanted to like. Unfortunately, I found her to be rather naive and annoying at times. She does some really idiotic things. She is an orphan living in Texas and working as a mechanic, but has had visions of a strange place and a young man she has never met with similar coloured eyes as herself. Drawn by the pull of the visions, she finds herself travelling across the country in an attempt to locate him.

Gabriel Bergeron is an interesting character and I liked him a lot more than Anna. He works as a fishing guide on the bayous near to the town of Unknown that houses the clan of Lake People. Psychically linked to Anna since her puberty, he is intrigued by her life in a land completely different to his own. As their link draws her closer to him, he is horrified when she is kidnapped by a psychotic truck driver.

Amazon actually recommended this book to me way back in 2012. I downloaded it, but didn't read it until recently due to my large reading list.

I started to read it and was quickly hooked. However, as I said above about Anna's character, I found myself wanting to either shake her or smack her for being so idiotic. Okay, I get she didn't have much money, but hitch-hiking is risky, especially for a lone woman. What I don't get is that she has a psychic link to Gabriel, but not any type of clairvoyance? What about woman's intuition? However, I think you don't have to be psychic to know that hitch-hiking across the country is a bad idea. Having said that, this part of the story was well written and I connected to Anna emotionally as she faced the harsh reality of her situation.

This story takes the reader on a huge emotional roller coaster ride. There is mystery, danger and romance aplenty. There are several twists to keep a reader guessing and the story had a dark feel to it at times, which had shivers creeping over my skin. There is a thrilling mystery surrounding the Bayou, the citizens and Anna's mother's past. The citizens of Unknown are wary of strangers, even one that looks much like them. I must admit that I did like Camille, Gabriel's sister, and her family. As the story reached its climax, I was a little disappointed that we didn't get to see more of Goujon, the giant catfish that haunts the lake and protects the Lake People. However, he may appear later on in the series. I did feel that the story plot near the end was not as strong as it should have been, though other readers may disagree. I reached the end of the book with mixed feelings. I enjoyed the story, but am not sure if I will continue with the series.

C.L. Bevill has written an intriguing start to the series. I loved her writing style, which is not particularly fast paced, but it still had me turning the pages to find out what happened next. The flow felt a little jerky at times as scenes transitioned, but for the most part it flowed well.

Due to mention of some violence (although not graphic), I do not recommend this book to young readers. I do, however, recommend this book if you love reading supernatural/paranormal thrillers/romances. - Lynn Worton
on 4 July 2014
This book was a bit different from the usual murders/thrillers that I read.

Anna is an orphan and doesn't realize she is related to a group of people (Lake People)
who can communicate with each other by telepathy. She also doesn't realize that Gabriel
is her "soul mate", though he is aware of it.
When Gabriel and other Lake People rescue her from a life threatening situation and take her
home, she has to try and discover the truth about her parents and learn how to use her special powers
of telepathy. Not all the Lake People are happy to see her or want to help her uncover secrets they would prefer
to stay secret.

I didn't guess "the baddie" and I liked the way the relationship developed between feisty,
independent Anna and Gabriel, who is annoyed by her seeming indifference to him.
on 31 December 2016
This book combines the things I love in fiction, and rarely see together: mystery and fantasy. Bevill does this with style and crafts an excellent tale. There is romance, but it's the greater mystery and realism of the isolated community the protagonist finds herself within which fascinates me. I'd happily read many more books set in the same world as the Lake People.
on 31 March 2017
I give this a five star review as I found the story unusual, fascinating and believable. The Deep South has many secrets and the author shares her perception of some of these with us in a thought provoking way. The characters were well structured and I really enjoyed the whole book. The sort you want to finish to know the end but then miss it, like an old friend.
on 13 June 2017
As I got this free from Amazon, I wasn't expecting anything especially good. However, I'm pleased to report that this is a very good book, full of suspense and a very different kind of supernatural people. Well written, it captures the imagination right from the start. Will be downloading the second one immediately.
on 13 March 2017
Great story from a fantastic series. Loved the storyline and the characters. A fascinating mythos that I've never come across. Highly recommended
on 9 May 2017
Such a moving and exciting tale. I enjoyed every word it actually didn't take the five or so hours predicted. Really recommend it.
on 8 August 2017
Enticing among other things.

What more can be said about this book, it got me enthralled totally engrossed in it.
on 16 March 2017
Whenever I read a book that I can't put down it thoroughly deserves five stars and this is one of them ! You won't be disappointed .it's something entirely different keeps you on the edge...great read
on 17 April 2017
Really enjoyed this book with its twists and turns, it had me reading until the early hours of the morning.