Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 March 2011
Another great series made by the ever-popular man and wife team; Pauline Collins and John Alderton.

Everything they ever did together was great stuff - but this was an exceptional series - highly regarded by all, and will forever be sweet memories of 'Spring' when it was shown at that time of year in '89 and '92 when you hear the theme tune!

A captivating story following a family who move from the city after inheriting a house in the country. The daughter's life (Freddie) is limited due to her asthma and general ill health. She improves remarkably after some remote healing and moving to the countryside and is completely transformed! She is befriended by a wonderful and fascinating character (my favourite!) 'Hilly'. She always reminds me of a female 'Peter Pan'!

As is always the case; John and Pauline left us wanting more, which is the 'magic key' and what makes this such a success! It ran for just three seasons (one extra than we were used to from this great team - but shown as 'two') with only six episodes in each.

Get a load of Freddie''s 'fit' school teacher!! WOW - don't drool too much!

This will have you wanting to give up your town life and move to the country by its end!

Magic stuff!

NOTE: The first two or three episodes for some reason have a sound fault and have not been re-mastered - mystery...
on 16 July 2017
A programme of excellent quality, written beautifully with wonderful storylines that deliver first class viewing entertainment. The cast containing the ever superb John Alderton and his tremendous wife Pauline Collins takes us through the adventures of the Boult family striving to cope with the asthmatic condition of their daughter Freddi, (Daisy Bates) and how their traumatic circumstances are transformed after some amazing news arrives that takes them on to a new life in the countryside and an adventure involving some truly magic moments. If you enjoy easy watching, quality storylines, whistful country life, and enjoyment from start to finish, then I recommend you buy this series, it's one of those first rate series you wish would never end. 18 brilliant episodes, worth every penny.
I've always wanted this, ever since I saw a single episode on TV once. It's one of those lovely programmes with no swearing or violence that makes you happy and sad in equal measures. This is what TV used to be like and what I wish it was still like nowadays.
on 17 September 2016
Yes, it takes me back. Drama, for those who like drama that isn't full of sex and violence to draw in big audiences.
on 26 April 2017
Very good series that brings back fond memories when it was first shown, don't think it has ever been repeated on tv.
on 30 July 2017
I enjoyed these tales of country living
on 1 June 2014
We have really enjoyed watching this lovely series again its so very peaceful and relaxing to watch shame they didn't make anymore xx
on 8 August 2012
i saw this when it first came around and was sorry that they didn't continue with further series. All the actors play fine parts and the story drags you in until you can't wait to see another episode. It touches on healing and is quite etherial. Miss those heady days when living in England was better than we ever realised
on 17 January 2014
Loved this series when it first aired ( in the 90's i believe) I bought is for a little nostalgia. I love anything with John Alderton or Pauline Collins in, and if you are after a really easy watch, i can highly recommend this dvd.
on 26 March 2017
I bought this in order to watch on a Sunday night, as it's really nice slow TV ideal for a Sunday night, and there's nothing on for me these days, and I had warm memories of this. Only problem is, I put it on, and watched 4 episodes back to back! I imagine it would be too slow for most of today's audiences, but for me, it's a soothing and calming series, and it deals with issues that are still relevant nowadays. Highly recommended if like me, you're sick of murder and mayhem.