Format: DVD|Change

on 8 November 2010
This is an entertaining film with very broad appeal, and a perfect start for anyone who has never seen an Indian film before.

It's full of comedy, but there are some serious themes too. For a British viewer it also provides some stereotype-busting glimpses of modern India.

This is the sort of film which everyone leaves with a silly grin on their face. "Citizen Kane" it's not, but it's very entertaining and passes the test of a long film - at the end it doesn't seem possible that you've been watching for nearly three hours.
on 22 June 2015
I watched this film in film theory class and did not know what to expect. It is easy to say I was blown away. It may be cheesy at times but I have never found a better "feel good film" that perfectly combines heartbreaking drama with laugh out loud comedy that also make you think about your choices in life. I absolutely love this film and recommends it to everyone I meet. If I ever have a bad day I put this on and instantly feel better. I hope you enjoy it too!
on 8 November 2013
I stumbled across this film by accident and i'm glad I did. it a movie in which pretty much shows every emotion a person could go through. it will make you laugh and cry, sometimes at the same time, its a comedy, drama, love story, musical and an all round joyful movie. the film is quite difficult to put into words because there is so much that goes on, ultimately the film is about friendship between the '3 idiots' and everything they go through to make it through technical college. there are some very funny scenes as well as some very sad ones, in effect it imitates live to an extent. the acting is superb by all. the film really centres around the main character Rancho and his can do, never give up attitude that we could all learn from. I would not consider this as the stereotypical 'Bollywood' movie, yes there are a few song and dance routines but that is not the basis of the movie, it is about life and all the things it throws at us and to overcome them. it really is a joyful, feel good movie that I highly recommend.
on 25 January 2011
I loved this film. It is beautifully produced, has an intricate plot full of twists and turns and keeps you in stitches from start to finish.
The laughs are intelligent, not slapstick, yet my 10 year old daughter was laughing loudly and equally and has now watched the film 3 times in succession having never before seen an indian film.
Buy, beg, borrow or steal this film - you wont regret it.
on 4 May 2011
This is a wonderful film which transcends labels like 'Asian Cinema' or 'Bollywood' and indeed, you don't need to be a fan of either to get a lot out of this film though at the very least, you should not mind subtitles too much. If you can get past that you will get to see one of the greatest films of your life, on a par with movies like Shawshank Redemption that are just classic feelgood movies.

The story is that two friends and a rival of theirs meet up hoping to meet their friend Rancho who vanished after going to the same engineering college with them. The days when they met him, getting to know him and all their adventures and shared experiences is displayed using flashbacks, there are a few songs but not many, and not enough to distract from the plot of the occasional song and dance is not your cup of tea.

There is a serious side to the movie which is easy to ignore, the theme of the pressures inherent in Indian society, boys should become engineers, girls should become doctors and the resultingly high suicide rates among students there. Even the caste system is scorned by Rancho and his open and vibrant philosophy of doing what you love.

I found the film amusing but not hilarious its just such a great journey and you have time over the 170 minutes (It won't feel that long) to feel like you're one of them and the ending itself is about as neat and happy as anyone could want. I watched it recently on Channel 4 (It prompted me to own a copy) and the subtitles on the dvd version are not quite as good in some bits but it probably won't detract from the movie at all.

The acting is great from everyone except maybe Chatur whose toadying and boasting may have been a little overdone. Aamir Khan and Kareena Kapoor are the male and female leads and are perfect for their roles. If this gives you a taste for Indian movies a nice follow up might be 'Asoka', 'My Name is Khan' or 'Like Stars on Earth' / 'Ghajini' if you want to see more of Aamir Khan, though I can't comment on the latter two as I haven't yet seen them.

Coming back to look at this review a few weeks after I posted it I wonder if I praised it highly enough. I mean for better or worse, people give 5 stars to films they liked quite a lot, I've done the same - so what do you give those movies that are truly magical and wonderful and stand head and shoulders above so many other 'good' films? Despite the length of this movie I've watched it at least 10 times by now, and could happily watch it without the subtitles since I know all the lines. Still, I plan to watch it many more times, and introduce all my friends to it.

Almost everyone will enjoy this modern classic and its a great family film. Watch this film as soon as you can.
on 30 December 2015
Wonderful feelgood / romcom / drama / bromance with a helping of fabulous Bollywood song and dance routines to boot! Aamir Khan is brilliant in the lead role. Order a box of tissues at the same time!
on 6 March 2011
This is well worth the effort as the story telling is told with skill and humour. There are one or two sharp twists of mood that can catch you unawares adding to the hidden undercurrent of Indian social and cultural satire at times. I enjoyed the uninhibited emotional moments and the strong theme of all the interlocking stories and the way they are told. Yes, one or two places stretch credulity but the scale is epic and it seems part of the ironic style I think, so does not detract from the enjoyment of the whole. I enjoyed the pastiche of Bollywood dance and song cropping up as well.

I would have liked more of the stunning Ladakh scenery and recognized the Manali Road with a wry smile having been blocked from getting up it over 10 years ago, by a landslide in the rains, to get to Ladakh, and never got there. I gather the star, Amir Khan went back there after the terrible events that happened in Leh with the flooding in the summer (2010) and sang "All is well" to the children which I found a touching story and made me want to see the film. It wasn't what I was expecting but its scale and epic story telling drew me in and I really enjoyed it. It will probably appeal to people with some knowledge of Indian society and ways and some of the humour is more geared to young men in their 20s but there is something for everyone really and a serious point behind it about the over-expectations we all put on ourselves and others and how we judge based on that.

This particular edition has 2 DVDS with 1 with special features that I am really looking forward to seeing as well.
on 17 January 2015
My husband watched this movie on the plane coming back from India and he was so impressed with it that we decided to buy it for the whole family to see. It is a wonderful movie full of funny scenes and deep thoughts and friendship feelings. A joy to see. Thanks to Amazon to make this movie available!
on 5 February 2015
This is one of the funniest films ever, and it also has a poignant and meaningful story behind the laughs. It is well-acted and if you watch it over 2 evenings viewing (it's rather long), you can watch it like a mini-series. 100% recommended.
on 10 December 2013
One of the best film that I have watched some years ago. Bought this as a gift. The only potential downside is that English subtitles that I saw in YouTube did not do total justice to the film as some of the essence of the comedy is lost via translation (or maybe because I don't get it in English). I watched the film with Chinese subs and it was better so I definitely hope that this DVD would be able to amend that.