on 11 November 2014
The quality of the songs, and Caro's voice deserve the full 5 stars - the only reason I have given 4 is because the CD had a few scratches on although that did not deter from the actual audio quality. The songs are great, very individual and all so different to any others. Caro is extremely entertaining. I have wanted to have a CD of hers since seeing her on TV some time ago. My friend is bringing me another CD from the UK and none of the songs are duplicated which I am really pleased about. I have listened to the previews and cannot wait for my second album. I can recommend her music 100% to anyone who enjoys jazzy 1920s style music, with some slower songs interspersed. Caro Emerald is a talent not to be missed.
on 5 April 2011
First a confession - I listen to Smooth radio. On my way to and from work (for those who are still interested, I did listen to Terry Wogan on radio 2 but cannot face the more in-your-face manner of Chris Evans) - and first heard Riviera Life, from this album, on Smooth. It was the kind of feel-good escapist melody that made my heart skip a beat - pure joy after an exhausting day. Discovering that it was by Caro Emerald inspired me to do some research and find that she is a big hit in Holland and the Continent!!Lucky Continentals! The album is gorgeous, well-crafted and beautifully produced songs that tell a story - whether of working girls in a bar in Saigon pre-communism, or the 1950s glamour of having a car and driving to the South of France. The voice is tuneful and emotional, arrangements textured and interesting..a great present, for yourself
VINE VOICETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 January 2012
After hearing Caro Emerald so many times on the radio, I decided to buy the special two disc version. The audio CD is packed with excellent songs and it's Caro's voice that carries it off. Her voice sounds gloriously rich and gentle without screeching. The fusion of 30s/40s with the new sounds like a disaster waiting to happen but Caro pulls it off beautifully. The musicians who play on the record sounded like they had a fantastic time recording this album.

The DVD was very good except for the procrastinating commentator (skip the first few minutes). I loved Caro's cover of Bad Romance - certainly very different and refreshing. The backing band are first rate.

Buy buy buy!
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 March 2012
There seems to be a growing trend at the moment for albums full of good old fashioned big band swing, and this delightful little entry from Caro Emerald is one of the better ones in the rapidly growing field.

Primarily this is a real feel good album, with lots of bombastic raucous big band swing that sounds straight form the 1950s. But many of the songs have a real modern edge to the lyrics, giving us a delightful juxtaposition of the old ad new. Caro Emerald has a great voice, not perhaps as powerful as Imelda May, but with more nuance, colour and expression. A great album all round, a real joy to listen to.
on 15 January 2013
This is worth having twice, I bought the original version of this album, I wouldn't normally buy it again however the extras on this album i thought justified it with DVD performances as well as extra songs.

Caro has a lovely sound to her voice and sounds just as good live in concert if you get a chance to see her. It's a lovely combination of jazz & swing and brand new songs with the old feel, I love her work if you like the old crooners like Sinartra etc. or if your looking for something off the charts the beats are wonderful not deafening like some modern music try it i am sure you will enjoy.
on 6 April 2013
Devo dire, prima di tutto, che raramente mi entusiasmo per una/un nuovo artista, ma in questo caso
la faccenda è effettivamente diversa.
La prima volta che ho ascoltato un brano (e solo quello) del disco, ero in un negozio di musica.
La "track" in questione era "Back It Up". Non la sopportavo. A distanza di due anni dalla pubblicazione
del CD mi sono finalmente deciso ed ho acquistato il disco. SORPRESA!!!
Mi sono trovato in mano un disco veramente gradevole per quanto riguarda i brani pop, ottimo per aver saputo
miscelare sonorità attuali alle atmosfere degli anni 40' e 50'. Adorabile "Another Woman", bellissima orchestrazione
ed interpretazione di CARO EMERALD.

Preferenze a parte, consiglio l'acquisto. Invito anche a guardare su You Tube sia i video ufficiali,
ma soprattutto le esecuzioni dal vivo con orchestra e quelle "acoustic" per voce e chitarra ritmica.
on 19 October 2014
Brilliant debut album from such an incredible artist. This album spent 30 weeks at number 1 in Holland beating the record previously held by Michael Jacksons 'Thriller'!! That's how great she is!!

Songs include her debut 'Back It Up' and her first number 1 hit 'A Night Like This'.

Bonus live DVD with the platinum edition is incredible and definitely worth watching. I've enjoyed seeing how she has grown as a live performer, getting better and better with experience.
on 6 July 2013
I'm not a fan of much modern music. Too much of it is made in a synthesised way - not just with synthesisers themselves but samples and loops that take away much of the human input and real artistry. I like music made by real musicians on real instruments.That doesn't mean that I only like old stuff, however, made before the new technology was developed (and there's no shortage of hideous old/real music either). So here's a newly emerging singer teamed with a savvy production team producing a great album with a lot of "old school" values that uses modern technology in a sensitive and artistic way to enhance well-written songs performed with verve and vigour by Ms Emerald. A welcome addition to my CD rack.
VINE VOICEon 5 July 2011
I first heard one of her tracks on the radio while travelling and loved it,No idea who she was, but, Having had this cd for a few weeks now It's on my regular/favourite play list, It's fairly old fashioned, for those that remember the Da Do dog band play, they were similiar but in a more joky way, Her voice is fantistic, The selection on the cd seems to be all the best ones produced whether this happened by luck or they were conceived at the same time I don't know, just that I really enjoy the collection.
Great stuff and hope there's more to come.
on 18 November 2013
I had never heard of Caro Emerald until I visited a friend and she played her music all weekend. Having bought another of Caros' albums, this is her best one, the songs vary between upbeat, finger-tapping tunes to slow and sultry but Caro's vocals are amazing. This CD is on permanently in my car and I now know most of the words having played it so frequently. The music is easy to listen to and the lyrics cleverly combine with the tune. It is one of my favourite albums ever.