on 19 November 2014
Brilliant!
#1 HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 24 October 2010
I took a risk on this album after I heard a snippet of "That Man" on the radio and loved the sound. I didn't regret it at all. It's a hugely enjoyable album with a 30s and 40s swing sound (and hints of the Andrews Sisters) combined with 2010 production. Caro Emerald is a really good singer and she gives very good material a real sparkle. There is an excellent brass section, a fine keyboard player and terrific rhythm sound from percussion, guitar and double bass, with the addition of a bit of synth and scratching. I'm not a fan of scratching at all, but it isn't obtrusive and works really well here. The overall effect is irresistible from smoky ballads to swing numbers you just can't sit still to.

This was a real departure for me, but I'm delighted that I've discovered it. If in doubt, my advice is to buy it - it's a classy, joyous treat.
33 Comments| 188 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 December 2011
Caro has found her own niche. Her sound is unique, her image is quirky and you do get that big band feeling. Well supported by her band, this album has many catchy tunes that you will be singing again and again.
If you get the chance to see her live, go for it. You will be entertained!
on 22 December 2011
Caro emerald suprised us.. a jazzy feel, nostagic of 1920's -1950's in music type but very contempoary at the same time.( we were born after 1950 but still liked it greatly) The great voice of Caro herself is fun and lighthearted. And every track is a song that you can dance to, be it Rumba, Cha cha, Quickstep etc! We loved it and have sent it as Christmas too.We expect 'Strictly come dancing' to use her tracks once they are well known - she has already sung for the programme.
on 19 January 2016
A bit samey throuhout
HALL OF FAMETOP 50 REVIEWERon 28 March 2017
I had not heard of Caro Emerald but heard 'That Man' on the radio and searched it. I got the CD without evening hearing it. What a great choice! This is really fun music in the Big Band Swing style. It's a great sound to have playing when friends come round - very uplifting! It's also great if you do latin dancing - brilliant for dancing cha cha. rhumba, salsa. Even if you can't dance latin, I bet you can't keep your feet still!!
on 7 March 2011
Having worked for a Dutch company for many years I have a great love of the country and its people. However, I've never thought of it as a source of great music, an opinion reinforced by Mouth & Macneal, the Vengaboys and others! This album deserves all its plaudits from other reviewers and it has been a delight to discover it and also a very lively Dutch music scene. My ear was first caught by 'A Night Like This' a really catchy jazz/pop tune. My research took me to You Tube where there are excellent videos of this and a number of other tracks from the album. I suggest you see and hear them for yourself. The big surprise was that 'Caro Emerald' is in fact Caroline Esmeralda van der Leeuw from Holland. Nothing wrong with that of course! Part of me hopes she gets a wider European and world success while part of me delights in surprising other people with her great music. If you've stumbled on this review you can buy the album and share a 'secret' musical gem - in the UK at least. She's extremely famous in the Netherlands!
0Comment| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 July 2013
Most of the compositions are good and Caro E does a good job,

When playing the CD from start to finish, after a couple of songs the nice listening experience starts to fade, At first it is hard to put a finger on why that is. The conclusion is that the drumming and overall rythm of the songs is very lifeless. The included folder reveals that the drums have been programmed, Unfortunately it shows (hears). The music gets boring and repetitive.

With better production and arrangements, the songs have great potential.
on 20 December 2011
In a world where X-factor rubbish seems to dominate, thank God for something fresh and original. Mixing genres well, this is a cracking album. Get it for the car, for the living room, for fun.
on 5 October 2011
Criticisms first:
The scratching and electronic repeats are a strange production choice and seem out of place with the arrangements. I do find them jarring although they grate less on me after a few listens than they did to begin with.
Lyrically the album is very monotonous. The theme of practically every track is hordes of men who are, are assumed to be or just damn-well ought to be falling over themselves for the singers' attention.

I like the tunes though, Emerald's voice is fantastic and I find myself listening to this quite a bit, even though I bought it for my wife. Stuff I buy for myself tends to be downbeat more often than not but I actually really like the bouncy energy of a lot of these songs.

One more thing: This was recommended for my wife by Amazon on the grounds she likes Rumer. I don't see the similarity and - even though she and I like both - you might not necessarily. If I had to pick something similar (from our collection anyway) I'd say this album has a lot more in common with Imelda May than Rumer.