on 27 June 2015
Amazing book!
on 7 July 2014
Was happy to find it was delivered within 2 days (although it said within 3 to 5 days), Brand new and packed with care couldn't be happier! I will now enjoy reading this book with a nice cuppa tea XD
on 23 November 2014
Starts off very well. Draws you in nicely but it just carries on too long. I got bored and stopped reading.
on 6 January 2006
A dark and moody book which I managed to read in a day. I like the Dickensian feel to the book and the development of characters. There is a reasonable mix of good 'n' bad guys and it certainly made me get behind the characters.
I have recommended this to my teenage kids just so they explore the genre.
on 24 May 2014
I was pleasantly surprised to find that 'Wormwood' was far more enjoyable than 'Shadowmancer'. However, most things in life are better than 'Shadowmancer' and so that's really not much of an endorsement.

While I liked the general idea of the plot, I felt that Taylor did not use it to its full effect. The slow descent of the comet, gradually causing London to fall to chaos, could have made for a dramatic and suspenseful story. However, Taylor seemed to largely forget about this until the climax and instead pursued numerous sub-plots which went nowhere - often petering out without resolution and never doing anything to explain the gaping holes in the main plot. The ending is also very abrupt, the entire climax taking less that twenty pages and leaving many loose ends hanging.

Although less out-and-out preachy than 'Shadowmancer', the novel also had a heavy message that both science and the Kabbalah are evil, and that the ongoing search that mankind has for knowledge/power is gradually damning us all. While this did not irritate me nearly as much as Raphah's pagan bashing in the previous novel, it also did not make me warm to the novel. I don't really enjoy books that try to make me feel bad about reading them.

Finally, the characters in this book are exceptionally dislikable. None of the cast - angels included - were altruistic in any way, instead going out of their way to either hurt others or further their own selfish ends. I could not get behind any of these characters at all and found myself not caring if they lived or died.

In short, this was not the book for me at all. I can see little appeal in it and certainly won't be recommending it to anyone.
on 16 July 2017
Wormwood is an allegorical fantasy novel, with strong Christian imagery throughout. The story centres around a book called the Nemorensis, seen by some as a fount of knowledge and others the Devil’s work. Dr Sabian Blake, owner of Nemorensis at the beginning of the book, finds a prediction in the book of a comet, Wormwood, falling to Earth and destroying London.

The ideas in this book are huge; quite literally astronomical, in fact. The characters are incredibly well crafted, all with full and unique personalities. Given the sheer number of major characters, this is quite the feat in itself. The plot snakes well, constantly twisting and turning – even just the basic storyline is massively complex. Add on to these things the background context, historical and geographical setting, lore and all the other meatier details and you have yourself a book bursting at the seams. While it’s a clearly incredibly well thought out world and story, this was the downfall for me.

The narrative flicks between characters often. You’re never entirely sure who you’re following and that often means you’re never entirely sure what’s going on. I feel like there are too many twists and too many characters for a book this size to work. The plot bumps into itself all the time, the characters are all trying to take centre stage and the reader is often left scratching their head. Personally, I don’t like novels that are too busy and that’s just what this is. It didn’t leave me enough time to connect with the characters properly. I’ll also say that one thing that annoyed me was the suggestion of human characters being there for the Great Fire of London 90 years before the book is set.

Saying that, there were bits I enjoyed. Longer sections centring on the same character/s were very enjoyable, and I liked the tone – it felt a lot like The Da Vinci Code, only in 1756. The book is like Marmite. Goodreads reviewers either sing its praises or loathe it entirely. Unlike Marmite, I didn’t love it, but I didn’t hate it either; there were moments I thoroughly enjoyed, but overall it didn’t really do it for me.
VINE VOICEon 3 April 2008
This has to be one of the BEST books I have ever read!! From the beginning, this was immediately exciting.

Somehow the settings appear in the mind like those of a '3D' backdrop - not unlike those experienced when playing a video game, or reading story book adventure - unreal and sublime. The streets and buildings are atmospheric, and they capture both the reader's interest and imagination instantly. Full of atmosphere with good and detailed descriptive prose - tremendously flowing with intricate detail, that is yet so easy to follow and understand.

One of the most exciting parts for me being when Agetta is climbing the stairs to the attic to meet whom she finds to be a fallen angel called 'Tegatus'. It's almost as if one is climbing the stairs right beside her!

I was constantly transported when reading this novel, and each time I broke off and came back, I would be disappointed at finding myself back in my own home! I thoroughly enjoyed this book and it will take a long time to forget it!

Definitely a MASTERPIECE!!
on 14 October 2011
I'll give this a generous 4 stars purely because I enjoyed it. I bought it stupidly cheap and didn't expect much, having never read the author's works before, but was pleasantly surprised. However I do echo many of the other criticisms on here - notably, what is it with the characters' names? This is supposed to be 18th century London isn't it? Additionally, I found that some scenes were rather hard to picture either because they lacked description or, more often, the description of the location contradicted itself somewhat and left you wondering exactly what the author was trying to describe. I would also agree that the book could have done with a little extra attention grammar/spelling as well.

All in all though, I enjoyed the plot, I enjoyed the imaginative theological references and the characters were particularly appealing. I shall now read Shadowmancer which, by all accounts, is even better - hopefully I'll be able to give it five stars.
on 26 October 2004
After reading Taylor's enthralling first novel, Shadowmancer, I picked Wormwood up with great expectation. As a work of imagination, this book is tremendous, however, this is not enough. The portrayal of those ideas and the characters within them is confusing to the point of being downright bewildering at times. Scenes change rapidly, and it is an effort to remember what was happening to each of the main characters the last time you met them. The story dosen't flow terribly well, and skim reading it is possibly the best way to get through it. This is the kind of book I could easily lose interest in very quickly. It looks like the end has been left open for a sequel- if so, I hope GP Taylor will recapture some of the magic of Shadowmancer that got omitted in Wormwood.
on 14 August 2004
After his stunning debut novel Shadowmancer, G. P. Taylor has served up a real disaster. I am nearly three quarters of the way through it and I am overwhelmed by the sheer volume of ideas, plots and creatures without any idea who are the good guys or the bad guys or what on earth the plotline is, except for a string of set piece events. Any of which shows a brilliant imagination at work, but the whole effect is diluted by piling one scene after another.
I am now jump-reading the pages, scanning each one for some hint of a resolution. A bad sign which usually culminates in me throwing books aside without finishing them. This is a real shame as I will now hesitate before buying future books from Mr Taylor. 5 stars to Shadowmancer, one for this. A major dissapointment.
Still its good news for Amazon as I now need to buy more (hopefully) good books to get the bad taste of this one out of my system.