Customer reviews

Colditz - The Complete BBC Collection [DVD] [1972]
Format: DVD|Change

VINE VOICEon 4 January 2017
Brilliant; the acting, the writing, the plotting. I watched an episode per night for the last few weeks and have really looked forward to my 9pm slot each night. They capture the essence of a POW camp like no other show. Furthermore, like Danger UXB, Secret Army and Wings it was the economy of musak, the subtlety of tone and the minimalist portrayal which I value so much. This quality is so missing from glossy, modern drama productions (especially ITV) which are trying to ape the golden age of Hollywood with beautiful 'Poldark-like' actors and swirling strings to mine my emotions. In summary, less is so much more, this is a superb series on so many levels.
on 3 June 2016
The series is exactly as I remembered it, full of emotion, determination and elitism, prisoners of war having their own batmen? These older series are to my mind much better than the ones produced today with their feigned emotions and even worst plots, at least these were relevant to the times and pretty much portrayed the events that occurred within Colditz or so they say. The best thing for me in all these older series is the lack of swearing or gore both of which may seem part and parcel of modern film making and script writing but which were out of date then, shame we continue the tradition perhaps we'd have less 3 year old using expletives which even I don't use. The dvds were all in ace condition but the box was damaged on one of the corners presumably from where it had been mishandled during transport which is a shame as it doesn't look the same on my shelves. The seller offered very good service and a speedy turn-round of order from payment. The only down-side is that the 'cards' whatever they were did not come with the set so I cant actually comment on what they were like or if they were any good. Apart from those 2 small blips I was quite pleased with the overall service or dvd's received and would have no problem recommending them to other buyers.
on 10 February 2017
EXCELLENT series and well played by all under superb direction. My favourite actors (and their characters) in the drama are: David McCallum (Flt. Lt. Carter) Edward Hardwicke (Mjr.Read) Robert Wagner (Mjr. Carrington) Anthony Valentine ( S.S. Mjr. Mohn) Bernard Hepton (Kommandant) and Hans Mayer (Hauptman Ullman) I watched and enjoyed this series right through when it was first shown in the 70's- exciting and tense right from start to finish.
on 19 August 2014
Having watched the original series I can now allow the memories to come back again. Dramas at this time were full of well-known and up and coming actors. You will either know them or also their off-spring in various guises throughout! As this came from the same stable as Secret Army I knew I wouldn't be disappointed and I wasn't. With the quality of my Blu-ray player and my SMART TV all I can say is that I was pleasantly surprised at the picture quality I was able to view. So much is done to the image through pre-processing these days I can't vouch for how it will display on your equipment! I was extremely happy with mine anyway.

To produce such quality period drama now is too expensive most of the time. I love this period and at the time more equipment, costumes and vehicles of the period existed. It also has to be remembered that these were made at a time of strikes and power cuts in the 1970's! What this series also brought back was my having had the "Escape From Colditz Action Man Set". I spent many hours making additional forged papers and accessories to compliment it! I always did prefer the German uniform though.

I have already watched the series once, but I know I shall continue to do so again in the future! Recommended.
on 28 November 2016
Just finished watching the first series and absolutely loved it. Brilliant story lines, great acting, humour and suspense in equal measure. Of particular note is actor Jack Hedley who plays the British leader Lt. Col. John Preston; totally believable portrayal of a British officer POW that brings the entire series together. Great stuff!
on 19 March 2016
I remember this from when I was very young & only recently thought "I MUST watch this entire series again", so I ordered it, it arrived very quickly and the entire thing is BRILLIANT!

The packaging is very clever and despite the number of discs in the package, it opens very easily and seems very strong.

As for the series - I watched them all back to back and was so sad when the series ended. It was so well done that I just didn't want it to end!

The acting, the sets, the plots were all brilliant, with (to me) the best acting going to the main 3 German parts. Hans Meyer was just brilliant throughout. I wanted HIM to become the hero hahahahahaha

A brilliant series and I urge anyone with an interest to get this!
on 21 August 2013
I bought the Colditz box set for my husband for Christmas 2012 because after watching the Colditz film he kept going on about how much he loved the series years ago. As the daughter of a WWII soldier captured at the Bridge of Arnhem I was weaned on war films, I've seen most of them at least a thousand times, but this series I actually missed. I was only ten when it ended. I'm sure Dad watched it though because I remembered David McCallum was in it.

I understand from the die hard historians that there were no Americans in Colditz. I can't account for why the programme introduced them other than the fact that it was a part BBC and part Universal Studios production. Maybe it was a condition of them stumping up the money that Americans got a piece of the action.

Colditz ran for two series between 1972-1974. It is the story of a real life prisoner of war camp at Colditz Castle in Germany for allied officers who are persistent offenders in escaping in other camps. The castle is designed to be escape proof. Edward Hardwick (later Dr Watson in Sherlock Holmes) plays the lead role as the escape officer and the author of the book, Pat Reid, who later manages to escape himself. The story is mainly told from the British POW point of view but there is also insight into the escape attempts of the Polish, Czechs, Dutch and French prisoners, as well as an insight into their German captors. I was impressed by the acting, particularly by Jack Hedley as the commanding British officer and Bernard Hepton as the Kommandant, who comes across as a fair man. Anthony Valentine's Major Mohn is a character you love to hate. David McCallum (known for The Man From UNCLE, various films, and most recently NCIS) is moody and difficult as the RAF flying officer who takes over as escape officer, probably because of his loveless marriage. A lot of the escape plans are clever but mostly futile. The box set includes an interview with Major Reid who reports that were were about 500 escape attempts and about 10 British made a 'home run', but in the series only two British attempts are reported as successful, Robert Wagner's Phil Carrington character is later recaptured, and no one knows what has happened to the Briton he escaped with. According to a documentary I saw about the glider built in the attic more non-British escaped than British, but this is not alluded to in the series because more emphasis is placed on the day-to-day relationships between the prisoners and their captors.

My only gripe with the series was that certain events seem to be conveniently forgotten, for example, when Major Mohn knows the Germans are losing the war he goes AWOL in one episode, but in the next episode he isn't mentioned by either the prisoners or the Germans.

It was fun seeing well-known actors pop up unexpectedly. Willie Rushton puts in an appearance, as does Denis Waterman (Sweeney, Minder, New Tricks) as a very young gestapo officer, also the guy who played Dr Legg in Eastenders years ago. All in all a highly enjoyable series.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 19 March 2016
Halfway through the boxset loads of well known actors in it . Basically pow's trying to escape from colditz .shows determination of how pows planned and worked together. Thought robert wagner might of spoilt it but hes rather good in it.
on 6 April 2013
I have been watching this on Yesterday having not bothered with it when it was originally on BBC. It is showing it's age and most of the sets are obviously studios but I was so impressed with it on Yesterday that we have started watching it over again. Even though it is dated it was when the BBC produced some good programmes unlike now when we are inundated with cooking, antiques, game shows, soaps, repeats and celebrities making prats of themselves. The latest being sewing. The BBC have lost their way in my opinion and seem unable to produce good entertainment, seeming to prefer to leave it to the Commercial channels who still seem able to produce good entertainment at times. Perhaps if the BBC spent more on good performers and less on huge salaries we would get some value for our license fee.
on 1 June 2014
Representing the best of BBC talent, some tense moments had me literally gripping the arms of my chair (The Traitor). Good to see Doctor Who number 2 in a serious dramatic role of a priest, which he reprised in The Omen.

Some of these episodes showcase rock solid drama as the BBC knew how in the 70s and days of freedom of expression. Sadly it seems not possible to make comparable quality productions any longer due to the artificial obsessions, restrictions and fears of PC - until perhaps a British government says enough is enough.

Only potential criticism is whether the episodes have been censored or not. The packaging fails to state 'complete and uncut', and the BBC have earned a reputation of a censorious nature.

As to the seller- full marks! Product was exactly as described and at a very reasonable price - thank you.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse