Format: DVD|Change

on 25 March 2011
I am sure the series was very good. The pictures were but with no subtitles I could not hear it.

When is ITV going to learn? The sound on their programmes is notoriously bad and they so rarely cater to those who struggle to hear. Is it a money saving issue or do they just not care?

Thank goodness for BBC who always take us into consideration.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 4 March 2011
Law and Order UK season 3 gives us 7 episodes on 2 discs.

We see the main cast return in its entirety with the "Law" represented by Ronnie Brooks (Bradley Walsh), Matt Devlin (Jamie Bamber) and their boss Natalie Chandler (Dame Harriet Walter); and the "Order" being represented by James Steel (Ben Daniels), Alesha Phillips (Freema Agyeman) and their boss George Castle (Bill Patterson).

Once again the series is merely a remake of US Law and Order episodes "adapted" for the UK.

Disc 1

"Broken" - 46 minutes - taken from US episode 2, season 10 (1999) "Killerz"

"Hounded" - 46 minutes - US episode 18, season 7 (1997) "Mad Dog"

"Defence" - 46 minutes - US episode 21, season 6 (1996) "Pro Se"

Disc 2

"Confession" - 46 minutes - US episode 20, season 5 (1995) "Bad Faith"

"Survivor" - 46 minutes - US episode 8, season 9 (1998) "Punk"

"Masquerade" - 45 minutes - US episode 3, season 7 (1996) "Good Girl"

"Anonymous" - 46 minutes - US episode 18, season 8 (1996) "Stalker"

The acting is of a good standard with Bradley Walsh out shining the others; which makes the recycling of these American stories all the more disappointing. Each episode is so familiar that it is like watching a repeat rather than watching a "new series" and this left me with a disappointed feeling.

The extras with this series have been reduced to 3 items. They are:

Disc 1

- "From Dawn `til Dusk" - a 13 minute mini documentary with the cast and notable for Bradley Walsh bemoaning the difficulties of filming on the streets of London and fans wanting to meet him when they are filming.

- Playback UK trailer - 1 minute 10 seconds of the production company pushing its catalogue.

Disc 2

- Commentary for episode 6 "Masquerade"

I am, personally, getting a little fed up with this lazy TV. We have talented writers in this country who I'm sure would jump at the chance to write for this series. It is especially galling when you realise that the murder in the first episode "Broken" is based on the UK Mary Bell case.

Once again there are NO SUBTITLES or audio description available, and I have to wonder why. The RNID estimate that the total number of deaf and hard of hearing people in the UK is approximately 8,945,000. The RNIB say that there are around 370,000 people who are registered blind and another (approximately) 2 million who are losing their sight. That's over 11 million people who might have been interested in watching the show but have been completely snubbed by the production company. It is especially annoying when you realise that subtitles had been available when the programmes were first broadcast.

At the beginning of the discs is a "thank you" for purchasing the DVD and "supporting your film and television industry" however, from my point of view, a better thank you would be to give us original episodes with subtitles, audio description and more extras.
88 comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2014
I had watched the series live and decided that it would be good to re-visit the programme. Good quality entertainment for those who enjoy a "whodunnit" followed by the courtroom dramas attempting to prosecute the offenders. This review has been pasted into all seven series which I bought together because all of them lived up to expectations. Packaging and delivery were up to your usual high level Amazon, well done.
on 28 January 2012
We, in North America are just enjoying what we understand is "Season 3" of Law & Order UK.
However, the "Seasons" are not the same as in the UK.
The UK Seasons are only 6 or 7 episodes each. And in North America our "Season 1" of Law & Order UK included all 13 episodes which originally comprised the UK version's Seasons 1 and 2. Likewise, the North American "Season 2" actually includes all 13 episodes that comprise the UK version's Seasons 3 (7 episodes) and 4 (6 episodes).
I have both of the currently available NA DVD sets - Seasons 1 and 2, and as I have a multi region DVD player, I ordered the UK's Seasons 3 and 4, only to find I already had them in the NA Season 2 DVD collection. So these have become needless duplictions. I hope that makes sense.
Just a warning for those NA fans who have a multi region player, NOT to order the UK's Seasons 3 & 4.
Having said that we find Law & Order UK series is stronger and grittier, and more "genuine" than the (original) North American Law & Order and its off-shoots L & O SVU and L & O Criminal Intent. Perhaps that is because we originally lived in the UK (emigrated here 36 years ago) and can relate to the British way of life.
Highly recommended series!!
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 8 March 2011
Law and Order UK is sourced from the long running American series. As in series 1 and 2, the US episodes were screened for plots which would translate effectively into a UK setting. Personally, although I must have seen all the US series over the years, I only got the occasional feeling of familiarity and this really did not spoil my enjoyment. It is not usual to see an American series adapted for the UK, though there have been plenty of ideas going in the other direction across the pond. Hence although I do not see any good reason why original UK scripts were not commissioned, I do not think the result has suffered because of this.

This time round we have 7 more episodes to go with the 13 from the previous two series, and a fourth series has just started viewing on TV. Although originally intended as a single series, clearly this one will run and run . The stories are typically gritty and absorbing and marked by a determination to go after the bad guys, often pushing the boundaries of legality in the process. The first part of the episode features the crime and the apprehension and charging of the suspect, and the rest involves the court case and eventual outcome. The main focus is in solving the crimes and getting the conviction so we do not get a lot of personal detail about the characters. If, like me, you enjoyed the earlier series, then this DVD set is not going to disappoint.
on 5 September 2011
As per usual this series is of the same high quality as we have come to expect.
The acting is great and better still believable, special mention for Bradley Walsh
who has transformed into an actor of some note for me. A best buy and congrats to
all who are concerned with production of this programme.
on 4 July 2011
There are almost too many wonderful British series to see, much less review, but this one is exceptional. Great cast, stories, unexpected twists. Don't start watching until you have time to see it through.
on 31 May 2014
I said after series two I would not watch series three but bought it by mistake.Sorry to the series fans but I should have stuck with my original conviction. Same old same old and very predictable
on 13 March 2016
What can I say perfect series as with all the others very good acting from Bradley Walsh who is perfect for the part
Get to see from the police side and how the prosecutors and defence work
on 11 February 2013
Good stories and well presented. Good to have the legal/ courtroom follow through The scenarios are realistic and the thread of action through from ploice to the courts adds a dimension.