Format: DVD|Change

on 30 January 2011
This life of Nancy Langhorne, who became Nancy Astor, comes as a 3 DVD set, with over 7 hours of viewing, so pretty good value. The sets and staging are lavish, and the narrative convincing. It would be interesting to compare with other biographies of the Astor family. It was a slight pity that her niece, Joyce Grenfell, does not get any mention, but you can't have everything. Overall this is well worth watching. Originally made for TV in 1981-2, one of Pierce Brosnan's early appearances.
on 16 December 2013
I was amazed at the positive reviews of this drama. While all the supporting actors did well enough, (apart from the wooden performance given by her father), I found Lisa Harrow's performance as Nancy pretty awful. Apart from her atrocious Southern accent, (which, at its best, pronounced 'ou' as 'oo' and, at its worst, moved between Hampstead, to Ireland, to Scotland and back), there was no light and shade in her performance so that the character was completely one dimensional.
The script was tedious and too much time was spent on the character's early life, waiting for something interesting to happen.
The best thing about it was the costumes and cars! Not one of the BBC's best!
on 8 April 2011
I found this to be an excellent video and a look at the other side of History. Wow. What a woman. Recommend this for all interested in how women came to the forefront of politics.
on 29 September 2015
First if all, I was surprised at the good quality of the recording, considering it was first aired in 1982, which is when I first saw this production. I remembered enjoying it, but having seen it again, I remember why!

A brilliant performance from Lisa Harrow and all the cast. I cannot imagine for one minute that Lady Astor was easy to live with, but the production shows the mixture of love and exasperation that her family must have felt. So, in the end, a very human story.

The dvd cover describes it as 'a compelling story of rags to riches, romance and heartache'. It is all of that, but more.
on 31 December 2010
There was nothing at all about this series that I found appealing. The story was very slow to develop, the acting wasn't really top-notch, and the southern-belle accent of the lead actress was simply irritating. Unusually, I found nothing at all in the title character appealing, and this in itself ensured that I wasn't going to like the series. In truth, I skipped a few of the later episodes, and moved on to the very last one to see how it all ended up. I've acquired a huge collection of DVD's over the years, and this I'm afraid is very much at the bottom of the heap.
on 13 August 2011
Nancy Astor is an excellent period drama. It wasn't at all what I expected because I didn't really know much about Nancy's political career so it made this really well produced DVD all the more enjoyable. Fantastic cast and acting, a fabulous wardrobe and we've recommended it to others as a "must watch" drama.
on 18 August 2014
Brilliant acting. Brilliant cast. Long though, and so you need to make the time to see it all. Historically interesting and I did learn a lot from it. Thoroughly enjoyable. I would recommend it to my friends who have the patience and the time to watch it.
on 6 July 2011
As a serious period drama fan, I was interested in the subject matter and the fact that a very young Pierce Brosnan was in it. I don't think I actually made it all the way to the end (it does go on for 435 minutes). Nancy Astor is annoying and grating from the word go, and she really doesn't get much better. The accents are kind of odd, and it shows its technological age (1982)by the somewhat dreary sets and lighting. The dialogue could have been much more exciting - one doesn't feel able to really engage with the characters or the subject matter. Okay for a period of convalescence, perhaps, but will never make it to the favourites list.
on 20 March 2014
Loved all the discs which gave me a lot of pleasure and the story was riveting. She was the first woman to take her seat in parliament but she was not in fact the first woman m.p. that was an Irish lady who could not take up her seat as she was imprisoned.
on 21 January 2014
If I'd been Nancy Astors' husband I would have ditched her straightaway. What an annoying female I know it was an old series but to sell it as though it was a new remake not very honest. I couldn't stand to watch more than two episodes.