Customer reviews

Bedtime Erotica for Freaks (like me)
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.99

on 9 February 2012
I did like this collection, I'm just not sure about it there are bits that work well and others where the scenario has come before the story and the charicter development but then if you want that you don't useually by Erotica, I will probably buy Lexys work again probably not in a hurry though.
on 1 August 2016
Excellent! More like this please.
on 27 August 2012
Forget Mr Grey, this booked worked wonders for my mornings day and evenings whilst on holidays, will be looking to continue to purchase more in the series 10/10.
on 25 September 2012
not in the slightest bit sexy or horny, like it has been written by a teenage boy, no savouring of the potentially sexy bits, full of stereotypes and trying too hard to be raunchy and falling way off, sent it back.
One person found this helpful
on 26 July 2014
Every so often a book comes along that I rate highly, because I can appreciate the style, even while I don't particularly like the book for whatever reason. "Bedtime Erotica for Freaks" is one of those books. For the most part, neither the subject matter nor the characters are to my taste (though I didn't know that before I picked it up; reading books I know I'll dislike and then skewering them is not my thing). Yet from a writer's point of view I can absolutely appreciate Lexy Harper's writing style - the stories are beautifully crafted with strong, compelling voices.

"Vanessa" I was initially unimpressed with - I found her character abrasive and her scathing thoughts about cock size both irritating and baffling. Comments about Black men only dating outside their race because they don't realise how great Black women are at giving head further alienated me, as such stereotypes often do when I encounter them in books or conversations. (This is my own personal bug-a-boo - being a mixed-race but White-looking woman in a relationship with a Black man, both the Man and I encounter people quite often who assume that we're together either because we fetishise each other or because we don't understand the glories of our own race, and it never fails to drive me mad - so I am perhaps oversensitive to any sort of implications like these.)

That all said, at about the halfway point, I started to appreciate Vanessa, and by the end I was laughing out loud at her ballsiness, as I rooted for her.

I enjoyed "Amanda" a lot, and found Amanda's character a lot easier to empathise with than Vanessa's. If you could have seen my face while I was reading the story of how Freaknight came to be, you'd have seen the emotions fly across my face at the speed of light - confusion, realisation, outrage and then utter mirth. I found the story both hot and extremely funny, and was glad that Jeremy seemed like such a nice man and the two of them got a happy ending (or happy beginning, if you prefer).

I wasn't a fan of "Geraldine" - though I consider myself moderately open-minded, the adult baby thing has always been a bit of a squick for me, and knowing from the beginning that Geraldine had stolen such a huge sum of money and felt no remorse for it made it hard for my chronic goody-two-shoes self to sympathise with her. But I've never read a story like it before, and though I didn't really enjoy it I appreciated the chance to learn about new things.

"Indra" I really disliked - I found Indra herself to be vicious and nasty with a grotesque sense of entitlement, and I couldn't bring myself to care about what happened to her.

"Nectar" I enjoyed a lot. Her kinks, not quite match, but tone well, with my own, so I found the story both amusing and arousing, and my surprised and slightly outraged laughter as she regaled us with tales of her and her sisters' antics was probably heard by the whole house for a couple nights running.

"Antonia" was probably my favourite story, both for the sex and for Toni herself. Based on the back cover, I was expecting "a completely hedonistic life" to mean that she plays all the time and lets someone else worry about things like bills and chores, but it didn't work out that way - she works hard and plays hard and I really appreciated that, especially after the idleness of the last few protagonists. I also enjoyed reading about someone who slides up and down the sexual orientation scale - male or female, if what they do feels good, that's all that matters to her.

I wasn't a fan of "Samantha". I couldn't understand where she was coming from at all - despite my own share of heartbreak and people who've treated me like s***, I've never wanted to hurt others or wreck relationships. I'm trying not to judge, but the idea that someone would want to cause pain to people who've never hurt them is just totally alien to me, and I can't wrap my head around it. Also, anything that smacks of non-consent - which I felt several of Samantha's actions did - upsets me, due to issues in my own past, and the fact that Sam is a woman doesn't make it any easier to read. On the whole, I found her as unpleasant as Indra, and I'm not terribly sorry that she got her comeuppance. (Well, maybe a bit sorry.) I did enjoy the fact that Valerie and Celeste, who she tried to ruin, were actually made stronger by it. Poetic justice of a sort, I guess.

Overall, I can't say that I actually liked this book. I found it pretty cold emotionally, even while the sex was hot. (This is likely to be more my issue than the book's - I normally gravitate towards sugary romance novels.) Even so, I'm impressed with Lexy Harper's writing style, particularly her characterisations. There is no melodrama or Hollywood glitz here - these women are written in such a way that they seem real. They could be your sister, your neighbour, yourself. They are brash, blunt, flawed - and all the more compelling for it.
on 28 March 2011
This book was my first Erotica purchase and what you read is my first review, so.....

I chose this book because the characters are from various ethnic minorities and being mixed race myself, it just grabbed my attention. There are quite a few personalities in the book which I can either relate to myself or to someone I have cum across, making them believable and interesting. This really helped me to totally lose myself in the story. I particularly liked some of the slang words which took me back to my teenage years in Birmingham.

The sex and the way Lexy paints the picture is very emotive and it definitely stirred a deep intense heat within me which would be unleashed upon my unsuspecting husband midway through a paragraph! The fact that a piece of writing evoked such extreme desire fuelled actions is a testament to Lexy's captivating story telling technique.

Ultimately, this book has confirmed to me that I am a freak but not the only one in existence. So if you're after a tiny bit of heat in you bed time reading then this book is too hot for you to handle!

Many thanks Lexy. My Erotica cherry is well and truly yours.

Chloe