on 12 November 2012
I really liked this book - The main story is about unusual activity in Alaska initially involving Albanians who have hijaked a truck after a major power cut. It leads on to involve North Koreans digging into an underground bunker to obtain chemical weapons and then the subsequent interrogation of suspects and high speed chases in temperatures down to 65 below. The main characters happen to speak Albanian and Korean fluently and although this might seem a bit far fetched, the way the author puts the different characters together and the details of the plot appear to show a good understanding of espionage and related issues, so it comes across realistically. There is a sub-plot woven between the chapters, so that some of the chapters are Marcus (the main character) in a former period of his life, where he almost dies before rescuing a whole group of people in Africa. This plot serves to give background to the character and his relationship with the other main character, but is a thriller in its own right as well. Once I got into this book I wanted to keep reading. Its definitely gripping, its well written with convincing detail. The only reason for not giving it 5 stars is I found the formatting frustrating. Everything is centre aligned, rather than the conventional left alignment - this meant that at the end of some sentences/paragraphs there would be a single word in the middle of the page. It comes with very small typeface so I had to enlarge it, which admitedly is easy to do on the kindle, but then every now and again some sentences would be in much larger typeface. There were also some other niggles with the formatting but overall I would recommend the book and if these things can be ironed out then it would be worthy of 5 stars.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
A cracking adventure in the middle of Alaska with flashbacks to a rescue mission in Africa that did not to plan but is central to the story and the North Koreans bring the bad guys is topics. Most enjoyable read on s lazy Bank Holiday
on 17 August 2013
This is a fine romp set in Alaska with a good storyline, interesting flashback story and involving characters - there is some good luck that our hero's talented chums are serving in the region, and personally I could do without his poetic side, but I guess it is intended to broaden out the devoted main character. Very enjoyable.
on 1 April 2013
Yeap with my weakness of snowy thrillers-especially in Alaska- I downloaded this on the cover alone. It began as an interesting read and then - bang! I was hooked, matchsticks keeping eyes open hooked. I hope to read many more by this author, I've always enjoyed Chris Ryan and Andy McNabs books but frankly I enjoyed Basil Sands more. Download, read and enjoy.
on 21 January 2014
I can't say enjoyed this book but I was riveted by it. It is a very violent story and I did find the love story theme a little annoying, but it was well written, moving at a fast pace and holding my interest to the end. There are quite a few proof reading errors throughout the book but not enough that it stopped me reading.
on 11 April 2013
A reasonable read, but it relies on the whole of Alaska being full of ex special forces. That may be true, but as each new one came along, I felt it got less plausible. First time I have seen teh North Koreans as the 'bad guys'
on 29 March 2015
Good book
on 18 September 2013
Full of facts about an area of the world and its' nature that I had no idea about. Great to see the romance in an action story and we know what happened next, so often the end of the game is where things are left to imagination. A very hard book to put down.
on 1 November 2015
A good fast paced adventure story set in the ice of Alaska. Some graphic details of what frostbite will do to you.
on 10 November 2013
The best free book on Amazon so far, took a little while to get into the authors style but hen it was hard to put down