TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 October 2017
I haven't watched many manga films but wanted to catch up on a few prior to commencing a short Japanese Subcultures course. This one came highly recommended, so I thought I would give it a go. My initial reaction during the earlier part of the movie was that it was possibly just a little too simplistic a story for my tastes. However, I stuck with it and slowly got sucked into the world of 17 year old Makoto and her forays into time travel, together with the consequences of her new-found powers when used to shape the future for herself and her friends.

It's a beautifully rendered animated movie, with stunning visuals throughout. If you are looking for an entertaining, engaging, well-made, film that is family-friendly then I can easily recommend this one to you
3 people found this helpful
on 16 June 2018
This brought back so many memories of confusing friendships when I was in my teens: punching some guy in the arm to stop him being affectionate and then being furious and baffled when I'd see him talking to another girl. I constantly found my eyes filling with tears as the story progressed. The device of time travel only serves to deepen the emotional impact of the story, and you find yourself incredibly moved by the integrity and loyalty of these three teenagers and the strength of their feelings for one another. Can't recommend this enough.
on 23 June 2017
I was looking for something new to watch and having not watched anime since I used to watch cartoons when I was younger and having always enjoyed them I thought I would give a film a go. I had forgotten what I was missing with anime. There is a depth to anime that you don't often get in all films as they are often lost in complicated storylines or impressive computer graphics. I recommend this film to anyone, especially those who have not watched anime before or after a long absence like me, you won't be disappointed. I will be watching much more anime from now on.
2 people found this helpful
on 12 June 2015
This gets better with each watch - a wonderful coming of age movie. The film won numerous awards, including the Japan Academy Prize for Animation of the Year.

Nick Pinkerton of The Village Voice said that "there's real craftsmanship for how [the film] sustains its sense of summer quietude and sun-soaked haziness through a few carefully reprised motifs: three-cornered games of catch, mountainous cloud formations, classroom still-lifes." Pinkerton also said that the film is the "equivalent of a sensitively wrought read from the Young Adult shelf, and there's naught wrong with that."

When 17-year-old Makoto Konno gains the ability to, quite literally, "leap" backwards through time, she immediately sets about improving her grades and preventing personal mishaps. However, she soon realises that changing the past isn't as simple as it seems, and eventually, will have to rely on her new powers to shape the future of herself and her friends.
on 16 October 2017
This is a charming sort-of-love-story / imaginative fantasy where a girl learns (after a dramatic event) that she can go back through time. Other characters include her two best friends with whom she plays some kind of rounders/baseball.

A fun and memorable watch for any age!
One person found this helpful
on 24 April 2013
This is time travel done in a way which recalls Donnie Darko, but isn't as dark, it is a cerebral film which uses the idea of time travel to achieve a feeling and to make a point. Rather than a film about time travel this film is about living life with your eyes open, not just sleepwalking to the end but it also doesn't just mean having fun, it means being responsible as well. Just like Donnie Darko it is a film that shows that there are consequences to life and the choices we make always and without fail; these realisations are given incredible weight by a perfect mix of humour and seriousness.

The detail on characters can often feel minimal and it is, there is often little definition in faces and the characters have a way of moving which looks like frames are missing and detail left out. Rather than detract from the film though this style seems to come together very well to add a complimentary dream like feel to everything which really adds to the whole atmosphere in a way which brings the world to life more than many super detailed facial animation could. The backgrounds in contrast are well detailed and beautifully bright. As well as being impressive the contrast between characters and backgrounds also speak of how important and fixed our surroundings can be, but that despite this within the surroundings there is so much space for so many stories and so many different ways to tell them. All we have to do is pick our path and thoughtfully follow it.

The interplay between characters is charmingly endearing; through jokes and japes the interactions are realistically captivating from the point of view of the minimalist animation and the dialogue, it feels right and it flows naturally almost as if there were real psychology at work in ever relation of pencil mark and every dash of colour because of this the film manages to be laugh out loud funny at times and heartbreaking at others. It is something that can take you by surprise by especially if you are not used to watching anime

Konno's jumps back in time slowly become increasingly more chaotic as she attempts to change time for the benefit of others rather than purely for her own benefit which is often the case to begin with, sufficed to say that it is never as easy as she expects it to be and the outcome is almost always mental or physical pain for somebody.

If you like a bit of thought and a nice gentle pace to your films this is for you, it is absorbing, emotional and funny. What more could you ask for?
on 19 April 2013
For the low cost, I was worried that this would be average at best; the main reason I bought it was because I wanted a Manga film dubbed into English so that my young son wouldn't have to worry about reading the subtitles. Within the first five minutes, I wondered whether I had made a mistake after one of the characters mentioned 'jerked' as an inappropriate verb! However, after that minor glitch, the film was truly brilliant! My son loved it and I did too. The cover reveals a little of the plot and it is genuinely moving. The animation is incredible and there are some 'camera-shots' that I have not seen before (an amazing running sequence filmed like a tracking shot in which the dolly-camera can't keep up with the runner, then goes too far ahead...). In other words, the framing is masterful. This would make an incredible film - it reminded me a little of 'Open Your Eyes' which was made into 'Vanilla Sky'; however the plot is more PG and the school-setting is of interest to youngsters. When I watched trailers on the DVD of other films, none came close to this masterpiece. I would have liked some bonus-material, but the film itself is five stars. Really good!
on 21 July 2017
All of the characters were interesting and they all had good interactions with each other. I loved the story. I loved the characters. I loved the themes and issues. This is a deeply emotional film that I would highly recommend. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time was a bitter-sweet film that I enjoyed watching.
2 people found this helpful
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 4 March 2012
As a newcomer to anime I snapped this up largely due to the fact that it was cheap (!!) and that the story looked quite interesting. My only previously experience of anime was "Totoro" and I must admit that the whole business of animation appeals hugely. This film is not quite up to the standards of the Ghibli studio although still impressive.

All in all, this films seemed like a film very much aimed at teenagers and the American accents in the dubbing seemed to accentuate this impression for me. Had the film finished about 3/4 of the way through, I think this would have been a fair assessment but the last quarter took a slightly darker note and various elements within the storyline took a far greater significance than I had anticipated. The narrative took a really interesting twist at this point which is definately worthy of another star even if the film also benefitted from keeping the impact of the time -leaping to a modest scale which , I felt, definately enhanced the story line.

I am beginning to learnt that the beauty of the backdrops is very much a feature of anime and the impression is extremely easy on the eye even if the characters' eyes all disappear when drawn at a distance and there is something very odd about the way the people all walk away from the camera. It was also really amusing to note that despite the unfeasibly short skirt worn by the principle character, her modesty was always preserved whenever she was thrown back into the present after a spot of time travel!

Whilst probably aimed at a teenage market, I think that the story was good enough to be appreciated by an older audience although not as hard -hitting as somelike like Chomet's "The Illusionist." Enjoyable, never the less.
on 8 September 2012
'The Girl Who Leapt Through Time' is another masterclass from the anime genre. I bought it on impulse and it was one of the best buys i've made. The story is that of a 17 year old girl who develops the ability to time jump, which comes in very handy for getting better grades and avoiding mishaps. But it's soon clear that it isnt as good as it sounds. Though the story may seem simple, it is has many excellent twists and turns which kept the interest flowing.

One of the best things about the film is the characters. Theres a lot of time for development and you find yourself really caring about them. Makato makes for a very likeable main character, while her best friends Chikai and Kosuke are typical teenage lads and are also very likeable. Though theres humour, theres also a lot of emotion running through the film and it is very poigniant and sad at times. Its a film that pulls on the heart strings and makes you feel for the characters.

Visually it is another wonderful anime to look at. Its vibrant and is filled with life. The music is another standout, a delight to listen to and fitting in perfectly.

Buy this! You won't regret it.