Format: DVD|Change

on 31 March 2011
There was a time some years ago when I bought this film in a multi-DVD set. This was supposed to be a presentation of the Jesus who smiled, a man full of joy in helping others, a man who could rebuke but not without pain and grieving sorrow in His voice, a man who would seem like any other yet who had something unique that would draw any empty or needing heart. This is the portrayal performed by the capable Bruce Marchiano in this Gospel of Matthew word-for-word account of the Biblical narrative.

The film really has some special moments. From the Spirit-filled moment of Jesus' water baptism (that expresses the joy of the moment when the Messiah receives His mantle to do God's will), to the healing of the leper, the exorcising of the demoniac, the rescuing of Peter sinking beneath the sea waves, to the rebuking of the Pharisees in a heart-rending scene in the shadow of the Temple that won't be soon forgotten, to the surprising, even powerfully tender interchange between Jesus and Judas Iscariot at the Last Supper meal--this film will really move and bless you. If Jesus was the Messiah, and if the Holy Spirit was upon this man in fullness as the New Testament attests, one would expect that He'd not be religiously somber and stoic like so many other portrayals of Christ...but that He'd be a man full of joy and pleasure at doing God's will. And this film captures such in the acting of Marchiano.

Highly recommended film that any Christian or searching heart would love. The "Visual Bible" is based on the New International Version Biblical text.

~Sean
33 comments| 36 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 November 2013
We are often plagued in our Western churches with many poor and shallow 'pictures' painted of Jesus of Nazareth. There is the nice sacrificial stained glass window picture of Jesus, and a depersonalised sacrificial image of Jesus that decorates all sorts of gold and silver ornamentation and even statuary, a pretty Jesus, on a pedestal, an icon. We are also plagued by a nice de-mythologised man of the ultra-liberal church who will not contemplate anything miraculous, because of course it just didn't happen. A man who wants everybody to just love! We even can have in some charismatic churches, a picture portrayed of Jesus who so enjoys our musical worship ministry and just wants to bless us with financial prosperity in return, that he loses interest in challenging any injustice, and challenging those who are indifferent to others and do nothing.
In the acting of Bruce Marciano and others, we have in this film, the portrayal of a Biblically believable Jesus who really communicates, laughs jokes and and messes with his friends and companions , weeps with those who weep, not frightened to challenge the Establishment. Thankyou in this film portrayal, for taking us back to envisage a 'big' Jesus who is both magnetic to us and uncomfortably challenges and even threatens us, in our complacency, that we want to keep our distance, remain in control of our own lives, when he is calling us to follow him.
on 14 October 2012
Bruce Marchiano is by far the best actor I have ever seen playing the role of Jesus of Nazareth the Christ. Listening to him tell how he prepared for the role (books and other media), you can understand why he plays the role so successfully. Richard van den Berg did a brilliant job in producing, as far as I am concerned, the best film ever introducing Jesus Christ to the viewer. True, word for word, to the Book of Matthew as translated in the New International Version, we find a mixed cast of actors with a rich hue of accents to balance the lead role players American accent. This is by no means 'just another American film'. In fact its primarily produced and enacted by South African actors, but with a sweep of authentic looking scenes from North Africa and other parts of the world, with the University of Cape town, with it's majestic buildings, giving the backdrop to the judgement hall scenes.

So, if you would like to meet a Jesus that is said to be the Son of God, but that completely changes your perspective of what Jesus Christ was like, and is so thought provoking that you don't even realise that you are simply 'walking' word for word through the Biblical book of Matthew, this is where you will start the journey. If you grew up or became a Christian, with a sterile surreal concept of the Christ, this movie is almost disturbingly mind changing yet absolutely authentic to scripture. Whether authentic in the role play of the characters we will never know as none of us were there during the time of Christ. But when reading a book like 'The Desire of Ages' (E.G. White) one can see the revelation of Jesus shimmer through the way Bruce Marchiano enacts this role, even though he never researched this book as part of his preparation for the role. So two sources, one that I have read and the other that I have watched, separated more than a hundred years in time, have a surprising harmony in depicting the character of the christ. I can recommend this well researched film to any one, whether from the three Abrahamic faiths, any other faith, agnostic or atheist. Enjoy watching it....
on 3 August 2012
This DVD is amazing, and a must for everyone to watch. The acting is first-class, especially that of Jesus and Matthew. The way Jesus is portrayed as a man who truly loves people - ALL people - is particularly touching. Also, the fact that it is actually the Gospel of Matthew, word for word, directly out of the bible, it is an excellent way of "reading" this book.
on 2 May 2016
I have the Gospel of John which is better in my opinion but this is very good .
I bought the Gospel of John in North America and it has a disc for a 3 hour theatrical version and a second disc for a shorter version so not sure if the UK edition has that.
The Gospel of Mathew just has the one disc and was bought in the UK.
on 17 November 2015
Bought this for a family member who I genuinely adore and who says they are Christian (though not particularly practising). I have watched this movie lots of times on "YouTube" so thought I had better buy a copy anyway. Really like the portrayal as depicted. Not perfect, better than any other Gospel portayal i have seen and a useful reminder and nudge for those of us who at times forget Our Living Lord and his teachings. Peace.
on 10 November 2015
Brilliant DVD!!!
Accurate use of the words from Matthew's gospel to both narrate and re-enact the life of Jesus.
4 hours of very positive storytelling and superb acting.
I bought Bruce Marchiano's book 'In the Footsteps of Jesus' (recommended by a friend) which is a great read.
After I had read the book, I felt that I wanted to see the film. I will re-watch this film .
on 11 June 2012
This is a wonderful dvd, with a brilliant portrayal of Christ by Bruce Marchiano. It really brings the gospel to life in an easily-understood way.
on 5 March 2015
I love this DVD as it sticks to the scriptures. Great way to read your bible whilst your ironing. Thought the acting was spot on but this guy is one of my favourite Jesus Actors. I think he's really good at getting over the Love that Christ has for us.
on 23 April 2012
This is an absolutley amazing vid. Jesus as you may never have thought of him before - and taken word for word from the gospels. I have enjoyed it myself and take great pleasure from the wonderful feedback whenever I lend it/give it to someone. Here I go having to buy yet another copy...