on 17 January 2011
Heard alot about it and after playing it can say that its all true.

I'm an average but relatively thorough gamer who loves solid stories and in-depth characterisation. This delivered on both levels.
The main story was great and I love the fact they used all the original voices from the animated movies and series (I've watched them all!)

Gameplay was great, love the fighting element of it, easy enough to pick up and button bash, however as the game progresses you realise strategic combo fighting and manoeuvring is essential if you want to advance through the later CRAZY fights that are in store.

The detective elements are great and riddlers riddles kept me very busy throughout the game as I followed through the main story. Also sandman's bits were just fantastic and surreal - won't spoil it by saying anymore.

The best part about this whole game is the fact that this is a true representation of Batman, you are not allowed to use guns and the stealth mode is probably one of the best bit of tactical gameplay I've ever experienced.

I'm trying to find a negative, however off the top of my head can't seem to pinpoint one, if I had to nitpick I would say it finished pretty quickly, but this is coming from someone who is a fan of oblivion!

It took me probably around 7-12 sittings of around 4-6 hours of gameplay to complete as well as find all of riddlers challenges. However I haven't even played the additional challenge modes!

Can't wait for Arkham City!
Having played the demo, I was bit luke warm about this game to be honest but succumbed recently on the recommendation of a friend. Glad I as this is a wonderfully produced and enthralling game, even for non-comic book fans such as myself.

Playing as the caped one (obvs.), you are escorting the Joker into the asylum of the title for incarceration but in the back of "Bats" mind however was the feeling that laughing boy had been caught a little too easily this time and how right he was. It wasn't too long before Mr J was free and running riot with his homies Harley Quinn, the Croc, the Scarecrow and Poison Ivy amongst others in his attempt to bring Gotham city under their control. Only the pointy-eared one (that's you) stands between him and his goal.

The story develops slowly but grips you right until the end. The game play is an excellent combination of fisticuffs and stealth - the latter helped by the excellent "detective" mode which aids in spotting enemies, escape routes and secrets for you to pick up. As you progress you gain extra gadgets (all easily available from the d-pad) which help in your battles and add to the fun. Controls are smooth and accurate, as are the satisfying sound effects particularly the wonderful "swoosh" as you open your slightly tattered cape whilst leaping from up high. The accurate and useful map is worth a mention too. The excellent nightmare scenes with the Scarecrow were a dark and disturbing deviation from the norm too. Compared to more recent releases this is geographically small with only a handful of buildings to investigate as well as the asylum grounds but this adds to the claustrophobic nature of the game as you fight to regain control of the place where the lunatics have taken over...

To be honest though, my favourite part was hunting for missed secrets planted by the Riddler after I'd beaten the game, an enjoyable task which took me more hours than I care to admit though! A keen eye and perseverance is needed for some of these but finding them reaps rewards with character trophies, bio's and interview tapes between "patients" and doctors at AA all of which build on and add to the story. This game was obviously a labour of love for the developers and it oozes class from every nook and cranny.

Great game, a little dated now unsurprisingly but one that lives up to the plaudits.
on 6 August 2012
I have to admit, I used to be one of those gamers that only played sports games. And when I say sports games, I mean one game - FIFA. All other games never used to grab my attention and I'd quickly get bored of them. Either they were too easy, or the storyline was awful, or the graphics were terrible. So I wasn't expecting much when I picked up this game, despite all the positive reviews people have given it. Obviously with the 5 stars I've given it, you know I've seen the light!

This game is amazing, with stunning graphics and a well thought out story that keeps you hooked. If you're a fan of the graphic novels then you should be pleased with all the characters involved and their backstories. If you haven't read any of the novels before, you won't struggle to figure out who's who as there are plenty of character biographies along the way.

Sometimes with games set on a large scale, you're restricted to where you can go and what you can do. However, with Arkham Asylum you have the freedom to move around and swing from the ceilings which is nice.

The only bug I have about the game (and it's just a small one), is the Joker. Some may like the way he's portrayed, but after seeing the brilliant Ledger play the Joker in the Dark Knight, the one in the game seems too false... Again, some may feel it's better this way, and it's really down to personal preference. It doesn't take anything away from the game at all. Overall I think everyone should play this!
on 26 January 2011
very fun to play, lasts a long time. great storyline and get all the gadgets
so all in all a sik game with lots of fighting, and the joker challenger bits are fun too
on 21 March 2011
This is a fine video game all round. The gameplay is very satisfying, the graphics are impressive and the storyline is entertaining enough.

I have rated this game five stars because I believe it to be outstanding, overall. A five-star rating should not be used loosely, but is also no 'holy grail'.

I had wanted this game since before its release. It would take me quite long to own it, but eventually I got it as a gift. The game begins quite slowly, as at first you must become acquainted with the controls and environment the game has to offer. In fact, I only really started to enjoy this game from about 10% completion onwards. It is from this point that I believe most gamers will find this game to be a generally enthralling experience.

The main line of the story revolves around moving about the island where Arkham Asylum is located. The use of indoor and outdoor locations is a winner. The main purpose is to complete objectives which come about because of the eventual final aim, which is to capture the Joker and end his reign of madness on the island after having escaped from his 'shackles'. You will play in the third-person; you will punch, kick, glide, jump and even crawl your way all the way to the Clown Prince of Crime.

Aside from the main missions, so to speak, you will be challenged by the Scarecrow in nightmare visions (these are in line with the main story), and can find and collect 'Riddler Trophies' and solve his riddles (the Riddler does not appear physically appear in the game). Commissioner Gordon appears in the game, and Batman maintains contact with Oracle, Gordon's daughter. Victor Zsasz, Bane, the Killer Croc and Poison Ivy also appear. Another of the game's strengths is the ability to use a 'detective mode' which prompts an x-ray/scanner type of nightvision, and the ability to use Batman's gadgets which are unlocked as the game progresses, and which you require to pass certain parts. Yet another boon is the ability to play as the Joker on PS3, in challenge maps. These challenge maps are accessed via the menu of the game, and you can also play as Batman.

The game is not perfect though, as you will find some parts repetitive. The game mechanics are also flawed in some areas, an example is a lack of realism in some fighting scenes. But overall the game is a gem. The use of stealth and violence are particularly entertaing, and the game has a dark setting to it. The Joker is classic, and Harley Quinn as his female aid, is visually stunning in her miniskirt.

Bear in mind that my review is brief, and based on my own experience. It is not a professional analysis, and does not cover all areas of the game. Having said all of that, I have analysed this game here to the best of my abilities, and would recommend this game very highly.
on 5 June 2012
the plot is real good joker brakes out of the asylum and runs free you have to stop him with the epic plot. the gadgets are real good and fun there is lots of gadgets to play and have fun with in the asylum.the down side is that in arkham city you get better gadgets and more and the graphics are not as good as arkham city the asylum is just a little bit bader but is you have a hd tv it will help a lot. plot 5 stars get it if your looking for a challenge game for a week or two.

its a long game and took me a mouth to play it so thats all i have to say arkam city is better but play this befor the city so yar by....? hop this was helpful for you
on 31 December 2011
I wasnt sure at first when I got the game, but while playing it I thoroughly enjoyed every moment. Its fun, engaging and brilliant. Only down side is the guards who tend to have the same face and batman cant pick-up and use a gun, other than that its a game worth playing. Now I have bought Batman arkham city looking foward to the new excitement.
on 8 December 2011
I was really surrprise with this game. First thought was Batman, what sh... is that. Probably like any other game made based on storyline. Order but not excepted too much. I know on box is written game received very good score but I didn't want to believe that. Only bought because there are not too many great game out there. I install it and afer 10 minutes play I was amaze. Really great game even it is Batman what makes me thing is well-worn topic. I can advise this game to every one if you play all games and you look for something good what you mayby miss somehow.
on 3 March 2013
Batman Arkham Asylum definately deserves to be named game of the year! For a batman fan or any gamer who isnt, its a really entertaining adventure game. The platinum addition also includes challenge maps and role play as the Joker. A good buy for any type of gamer. Brilliant service and delivery time aswell.
on 9 October 2011
Ok, I could be a little biased because I love Batman as a character.
However I think this is an awesome game. Everything works really well: the story is entertaining until the end,
stealth missions are challenging and in the spirit of the dark knight, combat mechanic is flawless and pretty badass and including the riddles to solve and the challenge mode there is plenty to keep you going for a long time.
In fact including the vast DLC the playability extends even more.

I can't seem to be able to find any defect for this game. Totally recommended.

See one answered question