TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 June 2011
My wife has a Kindle and, although I think it's a pretty neat piece of kit, it did have a couple of drawbacks for me that made me go in search of other readers. I like using touch-screen technology on my laptop, iPod, iPad, etc, and wanted my reader to have this.
Also, I read a lot of books, and I wanted to be able to use my local library to take at least some books out on loan, rather than having to buy them all!
The Sony works on both counts for me, and I have access to a growing set of books via the public library e book services - which can only grow as the years go by.
I can also buy and store books on my own computer - which means I am not dependent on someone else 'looking after' my books for me.
4 star rating is because the system to download books is less slick than the Kindle - but I am happier with the available (free) content and also the fact that I am in control of my own library via the laptop computer.
I would recommend having a look at both devices before you make a final choice, as I am sure that the 'how it feels in your hand factor' will be important.
on 14 October 2011
Let me first say that I am very impressed with the speed at which my ereader was delivered, purchased one day delivered the next, impressive.
This is the first ereader that I have owned, I found it very easy to set up and to navigate around. Very light and very smart looking, would
Definately recommend..
on 15 October 2015
Great for what it is.simple and strsightforward.
on 16 December 2015
Brilliant
on 29 December 2010
Paperback sized, clear easy to use. Needs a cover case to enhance the "book" feel but otherwise I am well satisfied.
on 7 March 2013
Sorry, I had to return it, as I found blinking annoying and the size too small. But it's a first reader I had.
on 26 October 2010
I did a fair bit of research for eReaders and it came down to this or the Kindle. I decided against the Kindle because I didn't want to be locked into Amazon (more on this later) and on reflection I felt I really didn't need the wireless connectivity being offered by the Kindle.
This Sony product is really a lovely compact design. I bough a leather book to case it and this makes it much nicer because I can now hold it like a book as well (one step at a time for my adoption curve).
I wasn't sure how I was going to react when reading from the device (a slightly obvious singular use case but I was concerned in case I just couldn't get it)but the device (I'm guessing with the eINK as the reason) reads like a paper book. After about a minute I forgot about the fact that I was reading a screen and not paper. Ingenious.
The touch screen is good, works as you would expect, isn't over sensitive and does exactly what you would expect it to.
The User Interface is OK. Nothing flash. Fairly simple and intuitive.
I LOVE the built in dictionary. Very clever.
The Sony Reader software for the PC is simple, but again seems to do everything you would expect. The authentication of the device only hiccuped once when the Sony website said it was down for maintenance, but tried it again and all good.
Going back to my previous point I LOVE the fact that I can shop around for the best deals on books. For example I paid £6.99 For Tony Blair's Journey on Kobo, where Waterstones and Smith's were charging up to £6 more. This flexibility is something that could pay back in buckets over time.
I haven't been on the road with the device so I can't attest to the battery life, but being a USB charger that is the same size (micoUSB) as my Nokia phone, I don't think I'm going to end up without energy so all good.

In summary I cannot say the Kindle isn't an excellent product, but for my needs, as described above, this product does exactly what it needs to do and I am delighted. The fact that Waterstone's were selling it for £30 less than list price as a introductory offer was the clincher for me.

(I don't work for Waterstones or Sony by the way)
77 Comments| 111 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 September 2012
I bought this reader for my dad to replace the previous model which he owned but had lost. I personally thought the screen was too small when it first arrived and was about sending it back (his eyesight is bad so thought he needed something bigger so he could zoom text and not be limited to two words a page) but he said he was happy with it. The software is a bit slow and touch screen not super responsive but, my word, is it good to look at! So if you don't mind the small screen and are looking for something small, light and very sleek then look no further.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2010
We bought the previous model, the PRS-300, and were very pleased with it. The new PRS-350 model is much better. It is smaller, has a touch screen and the very convenient dictionaries - which can be configured to use as a holiday language translator. Not having a basic cover provided with it (as per the 300) was a slight nuisance. But I bought the expensive but very classy looking Sony leather faced cover. It looks very smart in navy. I also bought a separate charger, for when I don't take a laptop because of lack of Wi-Fi. I bought a cheap non-Sony charger which works fine. I am sure the battery doesn't last as long as the previous model.

However the stylus is a poor design and very fragile. Mine broke after a few weeks, and not through rough use. Sony don't accept this is a design flaw, and your eyes will water at the cost of a replacement! Waterstones and Sony did not impress with their customer service over this matter. (Web searches showed that this failure is a common problem, and Sony soon stopped providing replacements on guarantee.) However my wife provided me with a plastic knitting needle that when cut down and the end smoothed off provides a neat & well fitting replacement. Size UK 9, USA 4, 3.5mm. It looks surprisingly good in the device, and provides a reminder of Sony's design fallibility!

Despite the above, the reader is a really elegant device, slipping into a jacket pocket. I'd rather have a smaller device, than a larger one with wi-fi capability etc. Our local library commendably provides an e-book download service (free) and this is a big advantage, for us, over the Kindle.

My wife was extremely sceptical about e-readers, but is now a total convert. An advantage for her is that by increasing the font size she doesn't need to use reading glasses.
33 Comments| 43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 4 November 2010
I have just received my reader after doing what everyone else seems to go through which is choosing between Sony or Kindle.

I chose the Sony for mainly 2 reasons.

Firstly...
The look, size is far better than the Kindle and the fact that it is touch screen make it all the better.

Secondly...
NO DRM. I hate iTunes for that reason and I think Amazon are making a big mistake restricting the Kindle. Okay so you can't download books over wifi or 3G but how many books would you download when you can store over a 1000 on the Sony anyway.

You can also use your libraries to loan out books in digital format. So simple go to library web site download onto reader and read. 21 days later (that's the loan period from my library) you return the book.
Also as other people have said you are not tied into 1 supplier (Amazon). You can download loads of free books, all be it older titles, when i registered my reader Sony offer a free download of nearly 100 classics. I've never read Bram Stokers Dracula or War in Peace so hey why not I haven't had to pay for them.

If I have any gripes and this is just a minor one. It is that you are not supplied with a power lead to charge it normally via a plug socket. Still i'll just have to buy one.
44 Comments| 42 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse