on 12 November 2011
This item is amazing value for money. The hard drive is responsive and only has one USB connection to work. The hard aluminium case protects it from knocks and drops unlike more brittle plastic ones. Massive memory to ensure that you can take everything you need on the move with you. BRILLIANT!
0Comment| 113 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 February 2012
Excellent. For quite some time, I have used a smaller version of the same drive to back up my documents; it worked fine right out of the box and it never gave me a problem. That drive is now full and so I have gone for another slightly bigger one. Good supplier, very quick delivery, sensibly packaged and at a good price.
on 13 March 2012
Purchased to use as my back up disc for time maching on my MacBook pro, plugged it in, started time machine, reformatted it for Mac simply by following the instructions on screen took about 30 seconds. Once formatted it sucked up all my back up from scratch, around 200GB in about 5 hours. Looks smart next to the MacBook Pro and is tiny so does not take up desk space, very quiet in operation too.

Great, simple, good looking drive. Impressed
on 14 May 2012
I've been using the Toshiba PX1626E-1HE0 for a good few weeks now with no problems to report. It comes pre formatted in a single 465 GB NTFS partition (presumably the rest is reserved for disk management overheads) so I just plugged it straight into Windows 7, a WD TV Live media player, and Windows XP devices with no actions needed. In the past with other drives I've needed to create FAT 32 partitions for use with the PlayStation 3, but I am now moving over to WD TV Live and I've just left it as an NTFS drive, though I'm sure an application such as Swiss Army Knife would give me a secondary FAT 32 partition if necessary.

My first impression on copying files was it was not too fast, but it transfers 1080P to my WD TV Live perfectly, so that is as fast as I need, and no complaints. It runs cool and is virtually silent in operation.

This is a very minimalist design, which I love. Just a pearlescent silver passport sized device with the Toshiba logo, a single LED, and that's it - perfect. It might be a plastic material they use on the case, but it was very cold when I unpacked and I thought it might be metallic. It doesn't matter either way to me. You get a nice chunky, short USB lead included, and a disk based manual which I haven't bothered reading because you won't need to with this great, simple unit. It is powered solely from the USB lead and is very convenient to pass between the various devices I use
on 11 January 2011
Surfed arounds looking at reviews of different external disks and finally settled for this one. Very good value for money. Does what it says on the tin. No problems whatsoever. And it was delivered on time, so very pleased.
33 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 9 March 2012
This is my third drive from Toshiba and I did not hesitate in purchasing it ... a smart product and reliable. And, as always, Amazon's handling of my order was superb. A very happy customer.
on 19 March 2012
I own two older (about 2 years older) portable hard drives and was surprised to see how much smaller this was, AND double the capacity at 500Gb. It worked immediately I connected the USB to my Vista laptop. No problems at all, excellent product and feels solid.
on 13 February 2012
This item is just class. A little bigger than an iPhone. Sexy as hell and its plug and play. BUY IT :)
on 17 April 2012
I bought this to back up my new mac mini. I have nothing adverse to say about it. It arrived quickly, was well packed and worked out of the box. Easy to connect and format. Just sits, small and silent on my desk behind the monitor and does its stuff.
on 9 March 2012
At the reduced price, this is fantastic value for money. It's tiny in size, but strong & silent in operation. Masses of storage space. Very simple to use, just plug it in & off you go. Very pleased with it.