Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 November 2010
Having been a regular clubber back in the late '90's and early 2000's, I have a tremendous respect for Timo Maas. He has produced some of my favourite sets - one in particular I regularly put on now and that was a free disc!

As per the title of this review this release is unfortunately a mixed bag. I'll start with Disc 1 - this is pretty good, there are some exceptional tracks, with the stonker being the Henrik Schwarz track right in the middle. A classy, jazz tinged foot tapper. This then leads into an almost equally good deep mismatch combination track. Heavy dark beats with a driving front beat with layered space age sounds over the top.

The general feel of disc 1 is that it's the more relaxed mix but with a few uptempo numbers. It does, however, generate a very good vibe and is good fun to listen to.

Unfortunately, disc 2 is where I'm disappointed. It starts almost immediately and by the time I get to Kenny Larkin's 'Glob' (only track 3), I'm thinking of turning it off. Admittedly I've only tried to listen to this disc 3 times so far but on each occasion I simply can't make it to the end. So far the furthest I've got is Mutant Clan's 'Arcadia' which is another nerve jangler track with spikey beats and disjointed sounds.

I did skip to the final track of this album and listen to the Placebo track - really more out of curiosity and I have to admit this is a pretty good reworking.

Maybe disc 2 will eventually grow on me but I suspect that I subconsciously won't really give it much more of a chance.
on 22 June 2011
Firstly i have been a Timo fan and follower since 'Der Scheiber' hit my ear drums many years ago. Let me clarify that i have only listened to the CD once! So my review may come across as a bit premature. CD1 has some really good tracks, but some tracks are truely poor and made no sense to the flow. In all the times i have seen Timo DJ, he has never been the best technical mixer and it does reflect in some of the mixes, too fast on the old crossfader Mr Maas.
CD2 is the better listen in my opinion, more the Maas style i fell in love with years ago.
I really do recommend this CD and im glad Balance gave him the opportunity, but i only wish i purchased it from Amazon when it was £5 rather than the £10 i have just spent.
on 26 October 2010
I have a problem with overuse of your own productions for inclusion on a mix CD. The high volume of maas, santos and mutant clan productions make this more like an artist album that a DJ Mix. In these hard times I can understand squeezing in 1 or 2 tracks to get them heard in the mainstream but nearly half of CD2 has been created by Timo Maas in some form. The result, a little lack of variety. Don't get me wrong Timo Maas can certainly DJ but this is moving into Deadmau5 territory (remember that essential mix where it was entirely zimmermans work?). A good project this but not up to the recent releases from SOS and Joris Voorn.
on 19 October 2010
TIMO MASS here Can transmit the essence of electronic music. 2 mixes completely without going into a spectacular vision of another without repetitive techno.

Just a word fantastic from beginning to end.

Thanks Timo Gran MASSSSSSSS.
on 30 October 2010
A great album, disagree with Mark's comment below.
This album is well mixed together, with funky Techno and House music
on 17 December 2010
An utter waste of your hard earned dough,balance series have let them selfs down big style with this one,such a shame they have come to this.