on 30 September 2014
Only knew Gordon Lightfoot from his 2 regulary played hits Early mornin rain, and, If you could read my mind, how naive I was, my sister who is Canadian told me he is still performing and he is in his 70s, Anyway back to the CD, its one of the best I have ever bought,I play it over and over, the words of the songs are beautiful, I shed a tear when listening to "Song for a winters night" and I adore the Canadian Railroad Trilogy, If you like Gordon buy this fantastic CD every single track is GOOD to say the least, and he has such an easy way of singing.
3 people found this helpful
on 30 May 2014
Why Gordon Lightfoot is not more revered in the UK I do not know. I lived in Canada in the 1970s and his songs were such a delight when I heard them all the time there. Wonderful mix of poetic expressiveness and wonderful musicality - forever Canada.

This LP contains some songs which are not quite as great as some of his biggest hits, but it is still highly commended.
on 16 January 2012
It's great to hear this music again. I was a schoolboy living in Australia, when I first heard Gordon Lightfoot. Radio 3UZ-- a country music station in those days--had him on their playlist. My favorite song of his, was "Sundown". I loved the poetic imagery; I loved, too, the distinctive guitar riff, with its louisiana bayou sound. Other Lightfoot songs I recall, are "Carefree Highway" and "If you could read my mind." All these and other tracks may be found on "Gord's Gold". A great album.
on 30 May 2014
I've been listening to this album for over thirty years, and it just keeps getting better. It's a great cross-section of his work and l would recommend it as a great introduction to an icon of Canadian music. Some of the most lyrical and beautifully crafted songs l've ever had the joy to listen to. A bargain.
on 11 January 2012
Had this in the album form in the 1980s. This cd is incredible and got if for the incredible price on Amazon. Lightfoot is one of the most under-rated folk artists ever. If you are into folk singer songwriters, this is really a must-have. You won't be disappointed.
on 15 January 2016
Replaces an old scratched LP so now we have good music in the car
on 3 August 2014
Have this on vinyl, but bought the cd as I'm always playing it. Just about my favourite album from this legend.
on 2 February 2014
All of my music CD's lost after several moves. Trying to rebuild my collection which is a slow and expensive undertaking. I've stay most of my life in Canada where I was exposed to Gord Lightfoot and his special style of music.
Gave 5 star as this is a Brilliant CD for anyone who has an interest in this style of of Canadian "folk" music with all of Gord's all time favorites and hits.
on 18 July 2013
Heb wrote some truly great songs, even if they were a little samey on occasions, and this single CD had all of the good items from the original vinyl edition
on 26 May 2013
GL has such a beautiful voice. It's lovely to listen to these beautiful songs again without the distortion of my old cassette tapes