on 3 December 2016
How sad I had to wait 30 odd years to see the first episode. Every year repeats came on with this series but always starting with Penny and Vince meeting up years later. I always had a bad vibe regarding Vince because he left poor Penny at the alter. But, in truth it was Penny's horrid interfering mother who, the night before the wedding told him what she thought of him and it would have been better for Penny if she would have met someone else. When Penny finally got around to asking Vince why he never showed up, he never mentioned the conversation with her mother. What a gentleman, he wasn't a rat after all, good job love found a way as she finally married him. I wonder how many other people who followed the series would have had a better opinion of Vince. Don't you just love him!!! Oh and by the way, don't worry about the sub titles, for whatever reason they appear, at least I can love Vince now instead of hating him just by watching the extra unseen video.
2 people found this helpful
on 9 January 2015
I have been a huge fan of Just Good Friends since I saw the very first trailer promoting the original series.
The complete set was a long time coming but is finally here and I find all these years later is has not lost any of it's humour, warmth or comic tragedy surrounding the continuing on-off relationship between Penny and Vince.
I see comments by some people about the quality but frankly have no problems personally. I watch for the content, not spectacular graphics or special effects.
One note just to warn you about. The start of the film contains maybe 10 minutes or so where Penny and Vince first meet at a house party. For contractual reasons which are kind of explained at the start, it was evidently not allowed to have the music and dialogue talking over it. Seems it wasn't possible to separate the two, so basically the music has been replaced by a different soundtrack and the dialogue is replaced by subtitles. If you remember the film you can add your own inflections and nuances to the appropriate comments, but if it's your first time, it will lose a little in "translation".
It's only a minor detail and still well worth the money (someone actually complained it was a little pricey???).
Anyway - that's my take - so basically, buy it!
on 22 September 2017
Just as we remembered it and still funny with some great one-liners. Written by John Sullivan so you know what to expect. A good TV comedy series the likes you wont see again. Don't know what happened to Jan Francis though.
on 5 May 2016
I was bored and running out of things to watch. As a young girl I loved this series so gave it a try, not sure if it would stand the test of time. It did. The first series especially had us laughing a lot. Better than I remembered actually. You can certainly tell who the writer is. A lot of the humour is similar to Only Fools. This box set has been very pleasant evening entertainment and a happy blast from the past. Long live Vince's cheeky trademark grin.
on 30 January 2018
Loved this show when it was on, and it was great to watch it again. The Christmas special is only slightly harmed by the subtitled sections and they're only at the start of the episode and it wasn't silent, just different music. Pity the BBC keeps doing this though. So many shows that get edits due to music rights.
on 9 February 2015
Have not seen it since it was first shown enjoyed it then and having purchased the dvd's it has taken me back and have thoroughly enjoyed it again giving me such a good laugh, it is a shame it is not repeated on television again so this generation can appreciate it. Paul Nicholas was a heart throb to those of us who w here the same age as both the stars then. To me this is the best sitcom of the 80's and I enjoyed the Christmas Special which I had never seen telling the story of how the first met I understand now where the 5 years has come from as talked about in series 1.You can still have a good hearty laugh at the witty one liners, with a lot of doom and gloom around I put this on and feel a lot better.
on 23 July 2017
Brilliant comedy series, always with a touch of pathos, and brilliantly acted by Paul Nicholas and Jan Francis.
Yes, it was a generation ago, but as the recent repeats on BBC 1 showed, it's as watchable today as it was back in the early 80s on its first transmission.
on 1 April 2015
Great series, the only let down was the Christmas special DVD, due to some daft contractural nonsense, the original music in some scenes could not be licensed and therefore the dialog has been replaced with subtitles. Had a similar experience with Only Fools and Horses, but they could separate the soundtrack's voice and music and keep the original actors speech. In this age of computer wizardry, I am disappointed that they could not overcome this.
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 27 July 2014
The complete and unedited version of the Xmas special , complete with all the music , dialogue and no subtitles can be found on the Australian release of the series . Fishpond or Ebay Australia are usually the best options . Prices should be not much more than the UK version even with postage . The UK set is nice but I found the Xmas special unwatchable . Better than not releasing it at all of course but now there is a way round it .
on 2 June 2015
1970s comedy with likeable Paul Nicolas as a turf accountant, "a bit of a lad" but scared of commitment. Jan Francis is his ex-fiance who is still attracted to him. Will they? Won't they? Dialogue very funny. Some brilliantly conceived lines. Enjoyable.
4 discs on Lovefilm. Disc one contained 7 episodes. Try one, you'll probably order the rest.