on 28 May 2017
The rise of the world-famous orator from provincial Arpinum to the Consulship of Rome, narrated by his secretary, Tiro. A very good read. Cicero builds his career on the prosecution of the Governor of Sicily, Verres. A fine read. This is well researched, written and has a good narrative.
on 22 June 2017
Gave up half way through. I might go back to it, but I doubt it. I am increasingly finding that the wonderful reviews do not coincide with my own opinion. I have read a few of Robert Harris's books and enjoyed them but not this one I'm afraid!
on 9 January 2009
This is my first Robert Harris book and I have been pleasantly suprised. I love fiction on ancient Rome and this was not a dissapointment on any level.

This period in Rome's history had many great characters such as Julius Caesar, Pompei, Mark Antony, Octavian, Crassus, Cato and of cause Cicero.

Cicero was a lawyer and senator of Rome and scaled the heights of power without any type of fortune or military glory. Instead he used his voice, witts and intelligence to get to the top of Rome society.

This tale is not the usual historcal epic as there is no action to speak of. Instead, this tale is all poitical intreague and courtroom drama. This might sound boring, but it is the opporsite. It has been a while since I have read a book that has interested me so much.

I am now looking forward to the end of 2009, when the sequel is planned to be release. This book is part of a planned trilogy.
on 17 June 2017
This is an interesting enough story, presumably loosely based on the historical record. However it is not exactly a gripping read so if you want a page turner for summer vacation this is most probably not for you.
on 17 August 2017
Although only a novel, this book displays the machinations of politicians very clearly. I suspect politics and politicians have not changed.
on 4 April 2017
Another excellent book from Robert Harris. Thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to reading the next instalment. Worth a read!!
on 27 April 2017
Cicero - what a man and having started to read about his life I am now enjoying Lustrum and will surely tackle Dictator as well. A great way to learn about Ancient Rome through Harris' great writing. Very readable and enjoyable
on 6 June 2017
A spell binding rendition of Roman intrigue, thoroughly entertaining and almost impossible to put down.
Robert Harris at his (usual) best
on 28 May 2017
I didn't finish reading it. There were so many names I was overwhelmed and I got impatient.
on 19 July 2017
Loved it received with thanks here in sunny Spain excellent service!