Customer reviews

on 8 June 2015
aa
on 7 October 2016
VINE VOICEon 10 November 2011
I'm a big Alter Bridge fan, having seen them live a number of times and owning all their albums to date - One Day Remains, Blackbird, AB III and Live In Amsterdam. For me AB III was a disappointment after the two fantastic albums that preceded it. Isolation is instantly likeable and became one of my favourite AB tracks to date thanks to its hard-hitting main riff and catchy chorus but, despite the usual high quality lyrics, few other songs really stood out for me musically. I don't think I posted a review for it on Amazon but if I did it would be a 3 star album for me. However, this didn't deter me from purchasing AB 3.5 (or AB III.5 if you prefer that way) just for the promise of 3 bonus tracks and a documentary DVD. The 3 bonus tracks are all absolutely fantastic and in my opinion much stronger than a vast majority of the 14 tracks on the original release. The behind-the-scenes documentary is also worth watching as it provides a great insight into the band. Overall, 4 stars - not the full 5 because my view for the rest of the album still remains but the additional content is undoubtedly brilliant.
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2011
I have to make a declaration here... I am a complete AB fan. **the** best band I have ever heard/seen.

When I saw AB3.5 was being released, there was no question over whether I was going to buy this. Straight onto the pre-order. But there is always that small niggle that wonders whether fans are being ripped off with a re-release of an existing album.

Be absolutely assured - this is an fantastic CD/DVD bundle.

The best way to think about ABIII.5 is as a DVD with a "free" CD chucked in - with 3 new tracks for good measure. The money alone for the DVD represents a great purchase, but to get 3 new tracks just shows how true AB are to their fans. Throwing in the rest of ABIII is just a bonus!

The DVD (and I really think this should have been marketed as a DVD) contains a full documentary all about AB - where they came from, what they stand for. Really great to see more about the band I follow so religiously. The documentary contains a good mixture of footage behind the scenes, extracts from concerts at Amsterdam, Anaheim. A very good spread of songs from the Blackbird and ABIII albums.

As for the CD, you get all of ABIII with three new songs - "Zero", "Home" and "Never Born to Follow". "Zero" would not be out of place on the "One Day Remains" album - back to the roots for me. "Home" definitely was on the list of possibles for ABIII - quite similar to "Isolation". "Never Born to Follow" is another classic deep and moody number. Could easily have sat in any of the AB albums.

Absolutely delighted with the purchase. Can't wait to see them on tour in November. The only disappointment is that AB are taking some time out for Creed duties. Hopefully they will be back stronger than ever....

5* - would have given 6 if I could :-)
on 23 October 2011
If the 14 tracks from ABIII weren't enough, then you have to get out there and buy ABIII.5!

You get 3 bonus tracks, all of which are great. "Never Born To Follow" being a personal highlight of mine!

Amongst the 3 new tracks you get a detailed insight into Alter Bridge with the documentary "One By One". In the DVD you get interviews with Slash and various fans paying tribute to the band. It's a must watch for any Alter Bridge fans out there!

Also peeps! Don't forget that Alter Bridge return to the Europe & the UK in November. I cannot wait!
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2013
ABIII is an amazing modern hard rock masterpiece. But it has one flaw: the production. The sound is too dense, and it took me a very long time to get passed this and really start enjoying the songs on this album.
So, although it took a long while to grow on me, one thing stood out, and that is the strength of the songs. Breathe Again, Slip To The Void, I Know It Hurts, every song is a winner! Fourteen songs, and I love every one! I am afraid I cannot say the same about releases by Creed, Black Stone Cherry or Soundgarden, which are all comparable to Alter Bridge, but I can for ABIII, and to an almost equal extent, Blackbird and One Day Remains. You can only imagine my excitement for the upcoming Fortress (eek...NINE DAYS!!).
Myles Kennedy is without a doubt the best rock singer of this generation, his voice is indescribable. His voice on Ghosts Of Days Gone By and Wonderful Life are world class amazing. Closing track Words Darker Than Their Wings even features Mark Tremonti, and lyrically and musically it is a masterpiece.
I have a great difficulty reviewing this album, as I love pretty much everything about it (aside from the production values), and I cannot pick highlights, without picking every single track!
However, my favourite song could very well be I Know It Hurts. Its just a straightforward rocker, perhaps the most unambitious song musically, but the chorus is ridiculously catchy and I find the lyrics uplifting.
This is a pretty flimsy review, I know, but Alter Bridge are, for me, the greatest band on the planet right now and they deserve at least one more five star review!
Now all I need to do is get me some Mayfield Four, Tremonti's All I Was, the live DVD's and Fortress. This band has kept rock alive for me, and I am so grateful!
on 28 October 2010
Not often does an album have to live up to the amount of hype that ABIII does. But then again, not many bands have such a fantastic back record, and are widely regarded as the most underrated band in rock today. Having been a fan since 2005 (thanks WWE), and having listened to ODR and BB almost religiously, I was a little apprehensive about the new CD. Could the boys make it a perfect trifecto?

The most noticeable thing about this album is that its dark. Very dark. Darker than a dodgy alleyway. For a lot of the older fans of what I'll call grin-rock, this might throw you off a little. Track 1 - Slip to the Void starts with Kennedy's haunting voice over very little guitar, before launching into some kickass riffery. Isolation (the first single) provides a little more of the sing-a-long rock we've grown accustomned too, as does track 3 (Ghosts of days gone by).

It's here I think the album hits a bit of a lull, because once again we go back to the darker theme, and less heavy guitars. By no means are tracks 4 & 5 bad, but I don't think they will appeal to older fans so much. Less guitar, more vocals, and an overall depressing sound kinda lets them down slightly.

Wonderful life (track 7) is built of massive mainstream appeal should it ever get released, and really showcases Kennedy again as a vocalist. Its clearly the In loving Memory of this album, but a more refined version. It truely is a beautiful song, and easily worth the price of the album on its own. I know it Hurts (track 8) follows up with some hard-rockery, a song for the headbangers of the earth. If anything it completely changes the basis of the album, from being too emotional.

I'll skip over to the end now for my favourite two tracks on the album; Life must go on & Words darker than their wings. The former will again appeal to fans of the previous two albums, with a fantaastic chorus, an upbeat sound and Kennedy never doing anything wrong on "dem vocals". The latter of the two actually showcases Tremonti as a vocalist. The track is supposed to be a conversation between Tremonti and Kennedy. They tried something new, and it works well.

I won't lie, this album threw me a little at first. I was used to the happy sounds of Blackbird, and its taken a few lsitens to really understand where this album is coming from. But now I'm there I fully recommend it. There is somethig for everyone here, and I hope this is the album that finally introduces Alter Bridge to a wider audience. Because after 3 flawless albums, they deserve some recognition.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 October 2010
Hopefully this album will sell by the shedload after Myles Kennedy's successful stint with Slash and co. If you are already an aficionado I think you'll like this. It's a bit more melodic than the previous two albums but there is still enough "grunt" to appease hard rock fans. Kennedy is a very fine singer and the rest of the band don't disappoint but it is the songs that are the stars here. The song-writing is credited to the whole band so I don't know who is responsible for the melodies and the crafting of the individual pieces but I have to say this is an album that grabs your attention right at the start and doesn't let go. The songs are instantly memorable with hooks aplenty and although some may think of this as generic American "Rock" there is enough novelty in here to surely satisfy any critics.

In my local HMV, Alterbridge's first two albums were in the "metal" section but have now been moved through to the "hard rock" section which would be about right. This is a very, very good hard rock album.